Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [67]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [31]
Given Kudos: 475
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [25]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31932 [16]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Awli wrote:
Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. Working together, A and B can clean the conference room in 3 hours, whereas A and C together can do it in 2 and 1/2 hours. Can A, B and C working together clean the conference room in less than 2 hours?

1) B cleans faster than A.
2) Working alone, C can clean the conference room in less tahn 5 hours.

hi Awli,
ans D..
1) statement one tells us B>A so both A and B do it in 3 hrs.. lets take the worst scenario that B is just above A or almost same so A's speed = B's speed = 6 hrs..
so C's speed = 2/5-1/6=7/30... so A,B and C can do it in 1/6+1/6+7/30=17/30.. so time taken =30/17=1 13/17 days<2 days... sufficient
2) let the worst scenario C takes 5 hrs so total time=1/3+1/5=8/15 or 15/8 days<2 days .. sufficient
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi sytabish,

Most Test Takers approach 'Work Formula' questions by converting data into a 'fraction of work done per hour' format or using the Work Formula (if it's two entities working on a job). Since data can be converted from one format to many different formats (fractions to decimals to percents to ratios, etc.), there is nothing wrong with what you did. It's a rather clever way to look at the data and just as valid as any other approach.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 475
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
Send PM
Kudos
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi sytabish,

Most Test Takers approach 'Work Formula' questions by converting data into a 'fraction of work done per hour' format or using the Work Formula (if it's two entities working on a job). Since data can be converted from one format to many different formats (fractions to decimals to percents to ratios, etc.), there is nothing wrong with what you did. It's a rather clever way to look at the data and just as valid as any other approach.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thanks for the confirmation EMPOWERgmatRichC !
I have been trying to use the percentage approach wherever I can for Work rate problems.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [11]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. Working together, A and B can clean the conference room in 3 hours, whereas A and C together can do it in 2 and 1/2 hours. Can A, B and C working together clean the conference room in less than 2 hours?

we have two equations :1) \(\frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{B}=\frac{1}{3}\)

2) \(\frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{C}=\frac{1}{2.5}\)

and we are asked , is \(\frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{B}+\frac{1}{C}>\frac{1}{2}\) ?

substitute equation 1.------->\(\frac{1}{3}+\frac{1}{C}>\frac{1}{2}\)--->6+2C>3C---->is 6>C ?.

Substitute equation 2.----->\(\frac{1}{2.5}+\frac{1}{B}>\frac{1}{2}\)--->5+2B>2.5B---> is 10>B ?.

check either of the above two conditions.

Statement 1): B cleans faster than A----> B<A , and from the equation 1(\(\frac{1}{A}+\frac{1}{B}=\frac{1}{3}\)) if B cleans as fast as A then A=B=6 , But we are given that B<A then B must be less than 6 ----> B<6
Then condition, is 10>B ----> ALWAYS YES, because 10>6>B

Statement 1 SUFFICIENT

Statement 2): Working alone, C can clean the conference room in less tahn 5 hours.---> C<5
condition , is 6>C--->ALWAYS YES, because 6>5>C

Statement 2 SUFFIECIENT

ANS---> D

please correct me if i am wrong

Thanks,
Adla.

Originally posted by AdlaT on 21 Mar 2015, 13:38.
Last edited by AdlaT on 29 Mar 2015, 01:19, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 188 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Three employees, A, B and C, clean a certain conference room each day. [#permalink]
Thank you very much to all of you. I've found very useful all the approaches.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
chetan2u wrote:
Awli wrote:

2) Working alone, C can clean the conference room in less tahn 5 hours.

hi Awli,
ans D..
1) statement one tells us B>A so both A and B do it in 3 hrs.. lets take the worst scenario that B is just above A or almost same so A's speed = B's speed = 6 hrs..
so C's speed = 2/5-1/6=7/30... so A,B and C can do it in 1/6+1/6+7/30=17/30.. so time taken =30/17=1 13/17 days<2 days... sufficient
2) let the worst scenario C takes 5 hrs so total time=1/3+1/5=8/15 or 15/8 days<2 days .. sufficient

This is the best way to solve DS problems :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
sytabish wrote:
Awli wrote:

2) Working alone, C can clean the conference room in less than 5 hours.

A + B , Time = 3 hrs, so per hr work = 33.33% of total work.
A + C , Time = 2.5 hrs, so per hr work = 40% of total work.
Need to know, whether A+B+C can complete in less than 2 hrs. or A+B+C can do more than 50% work per hr.

1) Rate of B faster than A.
Therefore, B will do work which is greater than 1/2(33.33)% , i.e. greater than 16.5 %
Now add B's effort in A+C's effort(40%). We get A+B+C's effort > 50 %
Suff.

2) C can do more than 20% of the job per hr.
Now add C's effort with A+B( 33.33%), i.e. A+B+C can do more than 50% of the work per hr.
Suff.

Hence (D)

Please lemme know if there's anything wrong in my logic.

Thanks!!

Hey,
From where do you get that 1/2(33.33)% ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Prompt analysis
Let the rate of work done per hour for A, B, C be a,b,c respectively.According to the question:
(a+b)*3 = (b+c)*2.5 = (a+b+c)t

Superset
The answer could be YES or NO.

Translation
To find the value of t we need:
1# exact value of a, b, c.
2# some equations to find the value of t
3# any other information that will help to infer the value or range of t.

Statement analysis
St 1: b>a. lets take the worst scenario that B is just above A or almost same so A's speed = B's speed = 6 hrs..
St 2: let the worst scenario C takes 5 hrs so total time=1/3+1/5=8/15 or 15/8 days<2 days .. sufficient
Option D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [1]
Given Kudos: 1227
Schools: XLRI"20
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Let Rate of A = A, Rate of B = B, Rate of C = C

Given : A + B = 1/3 (since it takes 3 hours to clean together)
A + C = 2/5 (since it takes 5/2 hours to clean together)
Question: A + B + C > 1/2 ? (does it take less than 2 hours to clean together)
1/3 + C > 1/2 ?
C > 1/6 ? or does C take less than 6 hours to clean alone?

Statement 1: B cleans faster than A.
If B were to clean at same rate as A (worst case), A + B = 1/3 => A + A = 1/3 => A = 1/6
now we have A + C = 2/5 => C = 2/5 - 1/6 (worst case) = 7/30 (greater than 1/6)
but since B cleans faster than A, A < 1/6, so above eqn C = 2/5 - (<1/6) > (7/30) (again greater than 1/6)
=> Sufficient

Statement 2: Working alone, C can clean the conference room in less than 5 hours => directly answers our question -> suff

Kudos if you like my approach, need them badly to unlock my Gmat Club Tests

Thanks

Answer (D)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts