Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [64]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [21]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31894 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institution [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
This question is part of the GMAT Club Sentence Correction : Pronoun Revision Project.

Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive.

• where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive

• in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive

• where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

• that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

• in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments

hi all,
this Q tests on following issues..
1) where vs in which.. here in which is better than where...
eg it will be better when we say " it was delhi where i met him " rather than " it was delhi in which i met him "..
however " delhi has a market where you get everything " would not be better than " delhi has a market in which you get everything "..
2) strive to identify vs strive and identify... 'strive and identify' makes the two parts independent so strive to identify is better..

only E is left..
however E changes the meaning by writng "the best junior employees " instead of " the junior employees"..
it could be a typing error but otherwise it changes the scope of junior employees..
ans E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [1]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institution [#permalink]
Bookmarks
E and C are the same except : 'in which' vs 'where'. Chose 'in which', because thought this marketplace is not a physical location.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Option is E.
Coming to the meaning of the question first ---Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions have some talent marketplaces , in that senior managers do something and juniors do something.
The question has a few errors. Usage of where is incorrect because where refers to a place or location in physical and marketplaces is no place/location. second error is the ambiguity with the pronoun 'they' it can either refers to junior employees or senior employees.
Please note parallelism is well followed over here.

Now scan the options .
Choice A and B are INcorrect due to where usage.
Choice D changes the meaning by introducing 'that'
Choice B disturbs the parallel structure by introducing and between strive and identify instead of using an infinitive form.
Choice E is free from all errors and is concise wrt pronoun usage.

Please Give me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable to you :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institutions, and research divisions often have informal talent marketplaces where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive.

• where senior employees strive to identify the best employees junior to them and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive- usage of where to refer to marketplaces is incorrect , the best employees junior to them phrase is wordy

• in which senior employees strive and identify the best junior employees and the junior employees compete for the assignments that they find most attractive - strive and identify changes the meaning

• where senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments - usage of where to refer to marketplaces is incorrect

• that enable senior employees to strive and identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments - to strive and identify changes the meaning - the activities are not independent of each other

• in which senior employees strive to identify the best junior employees and the best junior employees compete for the most attractive assignments - Correct

Answer E
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institution [#permalink]
Hi, experts,daagh VeritasKarishma egmat I rejected all answer choices except A and B because the rest use the additional term "best junior employees compete"

The OG sentence doesn't mention that ONLY the best junior employees compete; how can we then assume this? Also, isn't it nonsensical to assume that only the best junior employees would compete in the marketplace? All employees get an equal opportunity to compete but yes the senior employees can def strive to employ the best junior employees. I tried to go for a meaning-based approach. Could someone please shed some light on why my analysis is incorrect?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
I don't think that this question can stand logic. The project leaders select their team members, who are notably good but to call all of them the best is incongruous. Even technically there can be only one who can be called 'the best'. Whoever are selected then compete among themselves for the best employee award.

As such E doesn't appeal to reason.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood It's important to keep in mind that there is nothing special about answer choice A. If E had been missing this word and A had included it, we could just as well ask why it appeared in A. What it comes down, though, is that we're just finding the one answer that works. This isn't about making assumptions; it's just about avoiding error and conveying a clear meaning.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh It's actually quite common to use the word "best" to refer to an entire group or category of people. For instance, we might say that the Olympics is a gathering of the best amateur athletes from around the world. Perhaps only one of them is the best athlete of all, or the best athlete in any given category, but that's a different usage.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [0]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
Kritisood It's important to keep in mind that there is nothing special about answer choice A. If E had been missing this word and A had included it, we could just as well ask why it appeared in A. What it comes down, though, is that we're just finding the one answer that works. This isn't about making assumptions; it's just about avoiding error and conveying a clear meaning.

DmitryFarber thanks for your reply. I actually chose B even though "strive and identify" may be incorrect, I inferred it to be clearer in meaning than E with the additional "best" in junior employees. :shh: (which was the only reason why I didn't choose E)

Would you say then that the additional "best" is not an error? and how then should we go about more questions like these? It is said that the original sentence conveys the intended meaning most of the time.
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The simple solution is just to erase any notion of "original." We infer the intended meaning from looking at all 5 choices and seeing what makes sense. As for the extra "best" in E, it makes very little change in the meaning. I don't see the value of adding it, but it doesn't create a problematic meaning, so there's no reason to strike it.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Law firms and other professional services groups, academic institution [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kritisood wrote:
Hi, experts,daagh VeritasKarishma egmat I rejected all answer choices except A and B because the rest use the additional term "best junior employees compete"

The OG sentence doesn't mention that ONLY the best junior employees compete; how can we then assume this? Also, isn't it nonsensical to assume that only the best junior employees would compete in the marketplace? All employees get an equal opportunity to compete but yes the senior employees can def strive to employ the best junior employees. I tried to go for a meaning-based approach. Could someone please shed some light on why my analysis is incorrect?

I agree with you here, Kriti. When I read the sentence, I said to myself,

This is what is happening -

- the senior employees are trying to identify the best junior employees ( notice the use of "strive to identify" - "best" is a subjective trait so might be different for different senior employees)
- the junior employees are competing for the projects they find attractive (again, "attractive" is a subjective trait so might be different for different employees)

So "best" junior employees are competing did not make sense to me. If the sentence were structured differently, say
...where senior employees identify the best junior employees and then the best junior employees compete ...
it would have been fine.

Also, "where" vs "in which", I would prefer "in which" since the marketplace isn't an actual physical location but we do have some leeway here. Where cannot refer to time but here it refers to marketplace so I can live with it.

All in all, given these options, I would have been torn between options (A) and (E). Even though (A) uses a few extra words, those words do clarify the meaning.

Also, "strive and identify" is an absolute no no. They are not doing two things - striving and identifying. There is only one action - striving to identify.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 300
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:
daagh It's actually quite common to use the word "best" to refer to an entire group or category of people. For instance, we might say that the Olympics is a gathering of the best amateur athletes from around the world. Perhaps only one of them is the best athlete of all, or the best athlete in any given category, but that's a different usage.

Hi DmitryFarber,
Can you please solve the following doubts I have?
what I understand from the original question stem is that there is a pool of junior employees from which the senior employees choose the best ones and the junior employees compete among themselves to get the assignment that they find the most attractive.
Option E Changes two things here from the original question: Firstly, it changes that not junior employees but the best of junior employees are competing among themselves and secondly it removes the part 'they find attractive' and changes it to attractive assignments.
Don't these changes lead to a meaning change?

Regards,
PSP
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with Karishma (as usual!). I disagree with almost every word of the "official explanation" here. :)

For one thing, there's nothing in the sentence that tells us whether this "informal marketplace" is a physical location or not, so I don't accept the justification provided for rejecting "where". But you can also use "where" more flexibly than the explanation suggests; we use "where" correctly all the time to refer to metaphorical locations or situations. The sentence "Where would I be without your help?" does not normally mean "What city would I be in if you hadn't helped me?", for example.

The "official explanation" also says The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly (a sentence that itself could be expressed more succinctly) but that is clearly not true. If we replace “assignments that they find most attractive" with "the most attractive assignments", that changes the meaning. If we say "the most attractive assignments", we're saying some assignments are objectively more attractive than others. If we say “assignments that they find most attractive", we're saying that different employees will be attracted by different assignments. We're then saying that "attractiveness" is a subjective judgment, which makes more sense to me. I also don't think "employees junior to them" means the same thing as "junior employees" (the latter suggests the company employs a binary categorization of employees that the former doesn't suggest) though that distinction is more subtle, and there is a clear difference in meaning when answer E discusses only the "best" junior employees, and answer A discusses junior employees in general. Again, I'd think it's all employees who are competing, not just the best ones, so again A seems to convey the more natural meaning.

So I prefer A here on meaning grounds. The only reason I have to rule it out is the extraneous "the" before "junior employees", but that's a tenuous justification. I think you could justify any of the answers A, C or E, and I can't imagine any real GMAT question would hinge solely on the distinction between "in which" and "where" that this question hinges on, unless the situation were one where one of those two choices was clearly unacceptable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 300
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
I agree with Karishma (as usual!). I disagree with almost every word of the "official explanation" here. :)

For one thing, there's nothing in the sentence that tells us whether this "informal marketplace" is a physical location or not, so I don't accept the justification provided for rejecting "where". But you can also use "where" more flexibly than the explanation suggests; we use "where" correctly all the time to refer to metaphorical locations or situations. The sentence "Where would I be without your help?" does not normally mean "What city would I be in if you hadn't helped me?", for example.

The "official explanation" also says The original answer choice also utilizes unnecessary turns of phrase in its use of “best employees junior to them,” as well as “assignments that they find most attractive,” both of which use excessive language and could be expressed more succinctly (a sentence that itself could be expressed more succinctly) but that is clearly not true. If we replace “assignments that they find most attractive" with "the most attractive assignments", that changes the meaning. If we say "the most attractive assignments", we're saying some assignments are objectively more attractive than others. If we say “assignments that they find most attractive", we're saying that different employees will be attracted by different assignments. We're then saying that "attractiveness" is a subjective judgment, which makes more sense to me. I also don't think "employees junior to them" means the same thing as "junior employees" (the latter suggests the company employs a binary categorization of employees that the former doesn't suggest) though that distinction is more subtle, and there is a clear difference in meaning when answer E discusses only the "best" junior employees, and answer A discusses junior employees in general. Again, I'd think it's all employees who are competing, not just the best ones, so again A seems to convey the more natural meaning.

So I prefer A here on meaning grounds. The only reason I have to rule it out is the extraneous "the" before "junior employees", but that's a tenuous justification. I think you could justify any of the answers A, C or E, and I can't imagine any real GMAT question would hinge solely on the distinction between "in which" and "where" that this question hinges on, unless the situation were one where one of those two choices was clearly unacceptable.

Hi IanStewart,
Thank you for providing your insights. Option A was my choice as well. Anyway, I have better clarity now. I really do appreciate your very prompt replies.
Regards,
PSP
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Why is E correct, E changes the meaning ... A says all employees compete for assignments but E says only best do so??
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts