Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Kudos
FROM Scott Duncan: Startup Lessons from An Accomplished CEO
What I'm reading:
Negotiating with Giants
 by Peter D. Johnston

Written by a Harvard MBA, Negotiating with Giants takes an interesting look at how to negotiate for what you want, even with the odds stacked against you. It doesn't matter if you are gunning for a promotion with your boss, raising money for your startup, or just trying to get your library late fees waived, this book will give you the strategies you need to face any person or organization with seemingly more power than you.

I had an interesting talk with the CEO of my company earlier this week. He has built several medical device companies, has been responsible for the creation of hundreds of millions of dollars of value in the medical device industry, and is directly responsible for increasing the quality of life of thousands of people, worldwide. All this, and you have probably never heard of him.

What started off as a minor discussion turned into a long talk about what my post-MBA plans were. I had never really talked to him about what my career goals were, but he dropped a wealth of entrepreneurship knowledge once I explained them to him. These were the four main points:

Find Solutions, Not Problems

Be a problem solver, and not a problem seeker. Have you ever worked at an organization where the only thing some of your coworkers do is point out flaws in other people’s work, provide baseless criticism, and never actually PRODUCE anything? Pointing out everything that’s wrong is easy. The only way to provide real value is to solve problems when you encounter them, not just point them out.

Make Decisions, Not Excuses

Sometimes, especially in a startup environment, it’s better to be wrong and move forward than to agonize over a decision and stay stagnant. Nothing is learned without moving forward, and having a stack of failures behind you certainly builds experience.

Hire for Heart, Train for Talent

Impassioned, driven, and hard-working people will outproduce the smartest or seemingly most competent people who lack these qualities.

Experience is the Best Teacher

He calls it “scar tissue.” Do you remember your first big project at work? I remember spending a whole week writing and editing a report that I can now write in the 15 minutes I have in between meetings. This is because the experience that you gain allows you to quickly identify what is important and what is unimportant. This was especially valuable coming from an accomplished entrepreneur who has experienced the same success that I hope to achieve in my career.

The qualities that the CEO of my company was talking about are not things that are “taught” in an MBA program – they’re built-in to a person’s character. Having MBA from a top program does not guarantee success, just like having a straight-A transcript doesn’t make you more likely to be a value-producing employee. And, just like the CEO of my company, these qualities are what business schools are looking for in applicants, not just GMAT, GPA, and other benchmarks.

Subscribe Now!

I value your privacy and would never spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.

The post Startup Lessons from An Accomplished CEO appeared first on Scott Duncan.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: A day in the life – part 1: GMAT
It’s nearly a year since TopDogMBA came into being and – over 18,000 hits later – I’ve decided to share some of the application aids I created that helped me get two admits (and a waitlist) from top 10 b schools. I hope that it helps any newbies to the MBA application process, gives some […]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: New design, New vision
It’s been almost 11 months (and 160,000 views) since I started my online journey, and what a journey it has been. Over the last 11 months,…
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
FROM The adventures of a (provisional) MBA student: FIELD 3 – The ‘capstone’ of the RC
FIELD 3 is the final and third part of the FIELD portion of the RC (Required Curriculum – 1st Year), a unique part of the HBS MBA experience. And as the first year reaches its final stretch, we’re fully in the swing of setting up our micro-businesses.

FIELD 3 asks you to form teams with 4 or 5 other MBA students. This is the first time this year we’ve been asked to form our own teams – giving you the opportunity to test your pitching skills and powers of persuasion with fellow classmates that your idea is viable and deserves attention.

Our team is focusing on the perennial battle that many feel around exercising, and needing that ‘extra little kick’ to get out and exercise or eat healthily. So we’ve started Badger. Badger is a new service that links personal trainers and nutritionists to users remotely on demand.

The idea is that people get much more motivation when they have some form of accountability to a real person, and people pay for a gym trainer just for that reason, but that’s just too unaffordable for most people. We hope that this can bridge the gap and give a real connection at a fraction of the cost, and help people to achieve what they want to achieve.

We’re feeling pretty pleased that we’ve managed to get our service up and running, and we’re accepting beta testers if lovely readers want to give it a try. Just go to joinbadger.com to sign up!

FIELD3 obviously isn’t exactly the same of starting a real business. The timings are pretty compressed, with due dates based around the academic calendar, and a pretty limited scope. However, it’s a great chance for many in the MBA program to try (and maybe like) something they have never tried before for whatever reason.

It’s been a great experience so far, I’ve tried and learnt some completely different things, and I’m really excited to see how we get on.

HBS is the only business school (to my slightly outdated knowledge) that has this sort of program required as part of the curriculum. I think this is a great feature as you get a completely diverse mix trying out starting a business, and I’ve already heard of some (FIELD has been running about 5 years now) that have gone through FIELD and completely changed their career direction because of it – an achievement in itself. I’ll keep you posted with how Badger does!

MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: To get back what I lost
A few days before I contacted GrantMeAdmission after reading his post and asked him that how he motivated himself to get back to work and his awesome reply forced me to go back to my study table and gather all the knowledge that I left there a few months before. I would like to put some […]
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: 4 GMAT Prep Hacks Everyone Should Know
This week I am excited to have a guest blogger. Eliza Chute is an independent GMAT tutor, and she runs the helpful site https://bestgmatprepcourse.com/ (check it…
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM Scott Duncan: Stop Wasting Time On Your Essays
I’m still trying to figure out all of the things I did differently this year that earned me a spot at HBS. Since I had practice writing essays from my previous attempt at applying, and I had really worked hard at defining my core reasons for applying – writing went a lot easier this year.

There was no more staring out the window watching cars go by instead of writing…

There was no more feeling guilty on a Saturday night after setting the whole day aside for essays…and getting nothing done.

Instead, I wrote crisp and clear essays that said what I wanted them to say in just a few hours – no pain, no agonizing over perfection, and no wasted time.

But looking back, I realized I used a process for writing my essays. Last year, I wrote whatever I was feeling like writing, with no plan, structure, or goal in mind. I had no idea what I was trying to communicate!

Here are the steps I took to write better essays this year.

As a bonus download, here is a free worksheet that will walk you through the entire process, step-by-step and in a little bit more detail than I go into in this post...

Step 1: Ideate – Come up with a whole bunch of ideas
Yep, that’s right. You’re not defining your “career vision”, making a dream catcher or connecting with your b-school spirit animal (mine is Charlie Munger). You’re starting this process by doing work. Good job!

The idea is to come up with 50-100 ideas from EVERY aspect of your life that you can tell. Pick ones that you would tell to people you don’t know that make you sound interesting (even if you aren’t). Good ideas, bad ideas, doesn’t matter. Write them all down on a piece of paper and when you hit 50-100, move to step 2.

Step 2: Eliminate – Get rid of all of the BAD ideas
Now your creative juices should be flowing. You’ll know by now which of your stories are stand-out options for b-school essays, and narrow them down to the top ten.

Wondering why you came up with 100 ideas just to throw 90 of them away? Well, it’s a lot easier to pick 10 GREAT ideas from 100 than is is to create 10 ideas from zero.

Step 3: Refine – Tell the story with a B-School point of view
Only now do you take a look at your essays and ask yourself, “Self, what does this story say about me to an admissions committee?”

Are you covering the holy trinity of b-schools characteristics that you need to demonstrate in your applications?

• Leadership
  • Problem Solving/Innovation
  • Teamwork

Step 4: Outline – Build the structure of your essay
Outlining essays seemed so pointless – but it’s a smaller example of what this whole writing process accomplishes: Do the work up-front to save time, frustration, and disappointment in your final product. Your outline can by design fix transitional issues in your essays before you even start writing, and gives you the high level view of what you are trying to say with your essay. The outline also helps you plan how to communicate everything you want in the usually tight word limits of b-school essays. Do it, it’s worth it.

Step 5: Write
If you followed steps 1-4, writing is now the easy part! The best piece of advice I have for anyone writing application essays is this: write a fixed number of words every single day. Now that you have a plan, this will be a lot easier.

So there you have it. I had a much easier time writing essays by starting out with a lot of ideas rather than trying to come up with the perfect idea from the start. In case you missed it, here’s another link to the worksheet that details out this process:

If you’re going through the application process now, or did in the past, let me know how you worked through your essays in the comments below:

Like this post? Sign up and get free updates

Subscribe Now!

I value your privacy No spam, no BS. Unsubscribe at any time.

The post Stop Wasting Time On Your Essays appeared first on Scott Duncan.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: A day in the life – part 2: my application masterplan
It’s nearly a year since TopDogMBA came into being and – over 18,000 hits later – I’ve decided to share some of the application aids I created that helped me get two admits (and a waitlist) from top 10 b schools. I hope that it helps any newbies to the MBA application process, gives some […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: A day in the life – part 3: school-by-school application plan
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: An overview of my journey till now! from 540 to 720. Still Counting.
This an overview of my journey till now! I started bloging in August last year. I had a nice list before getting started for GMAT studies. I took my first GMAT prep on 26th Feb last year and scored 540. I took my second GMATPrep after studying for 2-3 months and scored 10 points lower! I was studying according […]
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My MBA Journey: Headed to the Burgh

I was checking my phone all day. I wasn’t sure when I would receive the admission decision from Tepper. I received an acceptance from Goizueta in the early morning of the decision release date and from Kenan-Flagler the day ahead of time. It felt like a bit of a waiting game for Tepper on the release date. I received an email later in the day from Tepper and received great news. I opened a video that welcomed me to Tepper’s class of 2017. In addition to the acceptance, I was offered a Forte Fellowship. I am so excited to have these opportunities. Now comes the tough part. I have to decide which program I am going to spend the next two years with.

In an effort to help with the decision, my boyfriend and I visited Pittsburgh to further explore the city a few days after the admission decision was released. Tepper’s Welcome Weekend is after the deposit deadline so we wanted to visit Pittsburgh once more before we have to make our decision. We lined up a couple of apartment viewings to see what is available in the area through Mozart Management. The staff was very helpful and even willing to show us apartments over the weekend. The apartments we viewed were pretty affordable but weren’t near a downtown area. We are hoping to find housing that is walkable to school or a downtown. Throughout the rest of the weekend we explored the various sections of the city. Pittsburgh is divided into numerous sections and they all have quite a different environment. Now it’s time to reflect and work through this decision.

MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: Twitter is the new way of Collections.
This week went in reviewing all the topics that I have covered in my previous study session. I reviewed all the notes that I have made and started reviewing the Quant topics. I have started with triangles and made few flash cards and they are really helping me remember the formulas and tricks. Each time I get something […]
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: Back to the study table. Starting with 640!
Hey, Last week I started a few new things in my life. That includes shifting from daily targets to weekly targets, 45 minutes of exercise including 15 minutes of yoga, making flash cards instead of notes. I am experimenting with my lifestyle & studies, and these changes are really helping me out.  I have also made a few tweet […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: On your marks …
It’s been a while since I posted anything here. Very sorry for the silence but it was necessary. Here’s a rundown of what has happened since my last post: I’ve gone on a mini-vacation Gotten on an (read: several) apartment wait list (also actively searching on Zillow) had a minor surgery Freaked out over the […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Birthday – TopDogMBA is 1 year old!
May 1st, 2015 – It’s one year since I started my TopDogMBA blog and what a year it’s been! I had no way of knowing when I started TopDogMBA – heavily inspired by the likes of MBAOver30 – if my re-application strategy was going to be a success, but I was determined to go all out […]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM My Journey to Business School: Preparing for Kellogg
I haven’t done many blogs lately since I’ve been busy preparing for Kellogg. I thought I should give you guys a quick update on what’s been happening the last few weeks. There is just so much to do! But sometimes, like now, there’s a lull – I feel like I should be doing something productive, but instead I just laze around catching up on TV shows I love and spending time with family. :D

These are a few things I’ve checked off my list:

• Financing my MBA (Apply for a loan & get personal finances in order)
  • i20 application
  • Visa Application
  • Visa Interview: Had my interview on 27-Apr-2015 and got a mail that my visa has been issued on 29-Apr-2015. Yaaayyy! I plan to do a post on Applying for a US Visa for international students.
  • Health Insurance & Health forms: Healthcare in the US is expensive. :(
What I still have to do:

• Find an apartment: Since I’m moving to Evanston in the Summer quarter instead of fall, I’m having a hard time finding good deals. I’ll do a follow-up post on how to find housing just as soon as I sign a lease.
  • Tutorials in Microsoft Office, Photoshop and Basic Accounting Principles
  • Complete 2 mandatory pre-enrollment online courses set by Kellogg: I haven’t done this so far because the courses are not up on the website yet!
  • New technology: I’m thinking of buying a new phone/laptop but I might just do this once I get to Evanston.
It helps that Kellogg has a handy To Do list on the Welcome site for admitted students. I’ve just been checking things off one by one from that list.

But I’ve come across some incredibly helpful blogs online, these are some:

108 Tips for new MBA Students (by Matthew Kuo – UCLA Anderson)

A letter to an incoming MBA Student (by Rohan Rajiv – Kellogg Class of 2016)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [12]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos