Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [193]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [37]
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [5]
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [4]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is their [#permalink]
Kudos
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is their largest common factor. What is the value of a and b?

(1) The lowest number that has both integers a and b as its factors is the product of one of the integers and the greatest common divisor of the two integers.

(2) The smaller integer is divisible by 4 numbers and has the smallest odd prime number as its factor.

We will provide the OA in some time. Til then Happy Solving :lol:

This is

Ques 4 of The E-GMAT Number Properties Knockout

Register for our Free Session on Number Properties this Saturday to solve exciting 700+ Level Questions in a classroom environment under the real-time guidance of our Experts! :)

1) From task we know that GCD(a, b) = 5 and from statement we know that LCM equal to product of GCD and one of integers
so it can be such variant: a = 15 and b = 25; GCD(15, 25) = 5 and LCM(15, 25) = 75; GCD(15, 25) * 15 = 75
or it can be another variant: a = 10 and b = 25; GCD(10, 25) = 5 and LCM(10, 25) = 50; GCD(10, 25) * 10 = 50
Insufficient

2) From this statement we know that smaller integer divisible by for numbers and has 3 as a factor (smallest odd prime) and we know about factor 5
so we can make infer that this number equal to \(3^1* 5^1 = 15\)
But we know nothing about number b and this statement insufficient.

1 + 2) from second statement we know that a = 15 and from first statement we know that b = 25 Sufficient

Answer is C
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Send PM
Re: Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is their [#permalink]
Kudos
EgmatQuantExpert wrote:
Detailed Solution...

Yeah, I miss key pitfall in this task )

And yeah, you are absolutely right about this

2. Familiarize yourself with all the names by which the test makers can call the GCD and the LCM.

I spend a lot of time trying to understand that all this convoluted phrases are just synonyms for GCD and LCM :)

Thanks for this task, really hard and interesting )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hi,
Could you pls elaborate stmt 2 with the concept? I am not able to get that..

I could get that one of the factor is 3. and other is 5(from the question as a and b are divisible by 5). But stmt 2 states that smallest of a and b is disible by 4 numbers. we got 2 factors.. but how could we confirm the numbr to be 3*5=15 as other 2 factors are missing.. Or do we have a concept that (one of the factors of a)*HCF(a,b)=a? Please help... I am confusing a lot in this concept..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
hi
though i got the correct answer, i would like a clarification on my line of thinking w.r.t statement 2 ( again ;):

it says the smallest integer is divisible by 4 numbers but not " only / exactly 4 numbers" in which case from Q STEM that 5 is their HCF and that 3 is also a factor , 15 would be the obvious inference..Am i wrong to infer that the number could also be a multiple of 15 ..?for example 30 , which is divisible by not only 4 but more than 4 numbers ( 8 to be precise) . also what is stated is that 3 is a factor of the smallest integer but what power of 3 is left to speculation, rite?

please let me know if i am wrong in my thought process . will help me attack such word problem ds questions with much more conviction.

regards
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
smashbiker84 wrote:
hi
though i got the correct answer, i would like a clarification on my line of thinking w.r.t statement 2 ( again ;):

it says the smallest integer is divisible by 4 numbers but not " only / exactly 4 numbers" in which case from Q STEM that 5 is their HCF and that 3 is also a factor , 15 would be the obvious inference..Am i wrong to infer that the number could also be a multiple of 15 ..?for example 30 , which is divisible by not only 4 but more than 4 numbers ( 8 to be precise) . also what is stated is that 3 is a factor of the smallest integer but what power of 3 is left to speculation, rite?

please let me know if i am wrong in my thought process . will help me attack such word problem ds questions with much more conviction.

regards

it says the smallest integer is divisible by 4 numbers but not " only / exactly 4 numbers"
Yes it's not stated clearly, but that was intended meaning: "divisible by 4 numbers only"

15 would be the obvious inference..Am i wrong to infer that the number could also be a multiple of 15 ..?for example 30
Yes, technically you are right.

I am not completely sure, but I think that if we see in question something like this: "number divisible by 4 numbers" or "number have 4 factors" this means exactly 4
and if we see "number divisible by more than 4 numbers" or "number have more than 4 factors" when we should apply logic that you use in your question.
IMHO
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
smashbiker84- It was rightly pointed out by Harley1980 when the question statement says divisible by 4 numbers, it surely means 4 numbers "only". If it's more than 4,that would be stated in the statements.

Regards
Harsh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 120
Send PM
Kudos
Can you clarify in statement 1 where the second 5 comes from? I thought statement one basically says LCM= (a or b)*5 - does the second 5 come from the fact that a and b are also divisible by 5? Sorry for the confusing question!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
healthjunkie wrote:
Can you clarify in statement 1 where the second 5 comes from? I thought statement one basically says LCM= (a or b)*5 - does the second 5 come from the fact that a and b are also divisible by 5? Sorry for the confusing question!

Dear healthjunkie

You're right that St. 1 says LCM= (a or b)*5 . . . (1)

After this, we apply the property that (LCM of 2 numbers)*(GCD of 2 numbers) = Product of the two numbers themselves

So, in this case, we can write LCM*GCD = a*b . . .(2)

But, we are given that GCD = 5

So, substituting (1) and the value of GCD in (2), we get:

(a or b)*5*5 = a*b

Hope this clarified your doubt :)

Best Regards

Japinder
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
smashbiker84 wrote:
hi

regards

I dont think you are wrong,,,, but the question did mention it is smallest of 2 integers and 30 is not less than 25 so 15 is the only valid option left :) Atleast that is what i understood
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I have another general question. If we are able to solve the question using just the question stem, irrespective of either statement 1 or statement 2, which answer choice should we be selecting in the data sufficiency question? Although rare, I found such a problem in the MGMAT official guide.

Thanks
Bindu
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
himabindua wrote:
Hi,

I have another general question. If we are able to solve the question using just the question stem, irrespective of either statement 1 or statement 2, which answer choice should we be selecting in the data sufficiency question? Although rare, I found such a problem in the MGMAT official guide.

Thanks
Bindu

I have not seen any such question on the actual GMAT. If the original question stem itself is sufficient then the individual statements will not be needed and hence none of the options can be chosen. Such a question will defeat the purpose it being a DS question.

Do you mind posting the problem that you are talking about?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618936 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
himabindua wrote:
Hi,

Thanks
Bindu

Technically the answer would be D but GMAT won't give you such a question. There was 1 such GMAT Prep question though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Two positive integers a and b are divisible by 5, which is their largest common factor. What is the value of a and b?

(1) The lowest number that has both integers a and b as its factors is the product of one of the integers and the greatest common divisor of the two integers.

(2) The smaller integer is divisible by 4 numbers and has the smallest odd prime number as its factor.

Sol: a = 5,10, 15 ... ; b= 5,10,15...
1. Lowest Integer with factors a & b can be written in the form of a*b*t where t can be +ve integer.
If we take a*b*t = a* 5 which gives us b*t = 5 since b min value of b is 5 and t is integer only value that satisfies is b=5
even we take a*b*t = b*5 => a =5
which means one number is 5 so the other number should be 10.
(a,b) can be (5,10) or (10,5) -> A is insuff
2. smaller is div by 4 and is also div by 3( small odd prime) hence smaller number div by 12
Possible values are 60, 120, ...
for 5 to be GCD the other number can be 65(>60), 125(>120).. No definite solution -> B insuff

Combing does not give any solution C is out.
Ans should E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
egmat Can you please clarify the statement 1 again and in a bit laymen method, I am confused how have you deduced the first statement and from where this extra 5 came, please use some example ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 943 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Even if we combine both the statements , we will not be able to deduce whether a is greater than b or vice versa.The question specifically asks about values of a and b. Neither of the two stems help us decide a> b or a<b .

Hence, E.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16597 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos