Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [21]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [4]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.37
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [3]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: Though dentists recommend brushing one’s teeth three times a day [#permalink]
Kudos
Difference between D and E is the usage of 'And' VS 'But'.

We need to say --Though dentist say brush.. thrice everday..most adults brush twice daily AND hardly floss. But denotes a contrast that is not required here. Hence E.
HTH

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [3]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Though dentists recommend brushing one’s teeth three times a day [#permalink]
Bookmarks
SherLocked2018 wrote:
Though dentists recommend brushing one’s teeth three times a day, many adult Americans brush just twice a day and floss hardly never.

A. brush just twice a day and floss hardly never
hardly never - means almost all the time. hardly ever -> rarely

B. brush your teeth twice and never floss
your does not have an antecedent.

C. brush just twice but rarely floss at all
but introduces a contrast that is not needed.
just twice - twice in a lifetime? twice a week?

D. brush twice daily but hardly ever floss
same error as in C.

E. only brush twice daily and rarely floss at all
only brush correctly states that they only brush
only brush is parallel to rarely floss
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
i am having trouble understanding this question, can someone shed some more insight. doesn't all other choices apart from A change the meaning of the original sentence, from what i understand the question states dentists recommed brushing thrice but american adults brush twice and floss always(hardly never means eveytime). but all choices says they never floss which is opposite of what is stated in the original sentences.Isn't changing meaning wrong in GMAT?????
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Though dentists recommend brushing one’s teeth three times a day, many adult Americans brush just twice a day and floss hardly never.

A. brush just twice a day and floss hardly never The adverb of frequency should go before the verb and "hardly never" is not idiomatic.
B. brush your teeth twice and never floss "Your" is definitely the wrong pronoun.
C. brush just twice but rarely floss at all "a day" or "daily" is missing.
D. brush twice daily but hardly ever floss "but" implies that brushing twice daily is sufficient, and a word to indicate that this is less than the desired three times a day is missing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM

A. brush just twice a day and floss hardly never
"hardly never" should be before floss if anything, but also it sounds quite dumb (hardly never does indeed mean always)

B. brush your teeth twice and never floss
"your" is wrong, they brush their teeth, not mine.

C. brush just twice but rarely floss at all
usage of "but" is unfounded, would make more sense if "but floss very often" but that is not the case

D. brush twice daily but hardly ever floss
again "but" is abit wrong, coz the first part and second part are both "weak". Would make more sensee if they "brush 4 times daily but hardly ever floss"

perfect
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
Kudos
If option A had ended "floss hardly ever" could it have been correct? Asking for a friend who may or may not have totally misread the question :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
I choose E. only brush twice daily and rarely floss at all. I brush my teeth twice a day and sometimes use floss. It’s enough for me. I don’t have any problems or diseases, so I don’t need any special treatment. For me it’s just important to use a good toothpaste and a toothbrush of a good quality. I purchase them at https://mental-dental.com/. It helps me to maintain my teeth white and healthy. And also cleaning every half year is essential.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
B is definitely wrong, as it changes the meaning to ‘many Adult Americans brush the reader’s teeth’.

A should also be out, ‘floss hardly never’ is very awkward and the proper phrase is ‘hardly ever’.

C changes the meaning again, this time to mean that many adult Americans only brush twice, ever.

D also has a very slight meaning change, by removing the word ‘just’ it weakens the implication that brushing twice a day is not enough.

E preserves the meaning the best (it uses ‘only’ in place of ‘just’) and is the clearest
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Re: Though dentists recommend brushing ones teeth three times a day [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Though dentists recommend brushing ones teeth three times a day [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts