Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Given Kudos: 64
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.28
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 94 [1]
Send PM
Re: DeGroote (McMaster University): Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
zizzy wrote:
haihai89 wrote:
Dear zizzy, I finished my co-op interview yesterday.
- 10 minutes for Q&A => prepare for at least 3-5 good questions
- 20 minutes for you to prepare yourself for an intern presentation in 2 minutes => prepare to talk you your strengths to prove that you fit with that position
- 60 minutes for behaviour interview => prepare for the question list I attached in this thread and you will meet a lot of them again in your interview
My result: full-time offer.

I regret that I did not practice the behaviour interview enough for the coop program. Partly because now I think the full-time program which is shorter (16-20 months) will suit me better.

It is now my time to choose between the full-time MBA at Mcmaster or the full-time MBA at Alberta.
- Mcmaster:
+ pros: location near Toronto and New York, the economy here is estimated better than Alberta in some following years
+ con: high tuition, > $ 20 000 CAN and lower ranking compared to Alberta
- Alberta:
+ pros: higher ranking, the economy will bounce again in 2016/17
+ con: cold weather, location not as convenient as Ontario

It is really touch decision for me, too.

Thanks for the quick reply. You attachments has helped me a lot regarding the kind of questions I can expect.

I have 3 questions for you.
1. How many interviewers were there? Was it singular like the admissions interview?
2. Did you have a trick question pertaining to international business news or the like?
3. Did they email the decision on the same day? Dont they send the decisions for international students at the end of the month? I guess due to this being the last month for co op interviews, they must have made an exception.

Now regarding your 2 admits, I would suggest you think about what the type of company you want to work for after completion of the interview. As far as I know, ontario is more finance/operations based whereas Alberta's economy relies mostly on engineering companies and oil and gas sector. Do look into the percentage of people who got jobs after graduation and the field they got their jobs in. Co-relate that with your work experience and your transferable skills.

Dear zizzy, to anser your quesitons:

1. There are around 8 questions as you can see in the file I attached.
2. The trick question is related to the company I said I would like to work for in the future. So please find out some specific news regarding your desired company.
3. The answer came just a few hours after the interview in my case. In case you are not successful with your coop interview, you can choose to accept the full-time offer or to be in their waiting-list for the coop program.

Good luck with your interview and thank you for your advice. I think I will choose Alberta for its better and cheaper full-time program. I hope that after graduation, I can find a job here; otherwise, moving to Ontario to find other job opportunities is not impossible, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hello Guys,

I got my admit for 2015 FT MBA. I havent quite researched about the school yet. How strong is the placement scene? Also i have an admit from Telfer(uOttawa) and Sprott(Carleton) as well and i'm awaiting result from McGill.

I'm having a hard time choosing between telfer and DeGroote. Can any one help me regarding that ?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
sumit87 wrote:
hello Guys,

I got my admit for 2015 FT MBA. I havent quite researched about the school yet. How strong is the placement scene? Also i have an admit from Telfer(uOttawa) and Sprott(Carleton) as well and i'm awaiting result from McGill.

I'm having a hard time choosing between telfer and DeGroote. Can any one help me regarding that ?

Thanks.

Telfer is an amazing school. I have heard good things about them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sumit87 wrote:
hello Guys,

Thanks.

Hi Sumit87,

Congrats on the admit. You need to research on both schools first.

How can you be confused between 2 schools even before researching about them?
I would strongly recommend you to go through both schools profiles and then take decision. We can share our 2 cents. There is no placement sorts. There is career guidance given by CBCD in DeGroote. Infact no school gaurentees you a job, its all your efforts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
Send PM
Hi guys,

It seems that I will be the last candidate being interviewed for the co-op program since it's been scheduled for May 1 :-D

Will let you all know once I have some news. I think that I am at a disadvantage since the class must be full by now and I am an international applicant. Anyway I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks for all the pointers.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMATSmudge wrote:
Hi guys,

It seems that I will be the last candidate being interviewed for the co-op program since it's been scheduled for May 1 :-D

Will let you all know once I have some news. I think that I am at a disadvantage since the class must be full by now and I am an international applicant. Anyway I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Good luck, but I highly doubt that it is full. They might have reached their maximum for Internationals but Domestic applicants have until June 1. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Guys,

I got my admit into FT- MBA( From India, Telecom Software Background - 4 yrs exp , GMAT 660) in march,and was waiting for the group to become active :)

So guys, I didnt get much info about the Degroote FT employment rates and how it works out for me to change my career into other sectors. Probably Co-Op would have been a better choice ! But I applied for only FT program considering the work exp of co-op is quite less in the class.

Any ideas ?

Also Got a few questions regarding the Visa, I dont have a IELTS score ( applied with TOEFL for Degroote) , Not sure if CIC is gonna take that IELTS( strongly recommended not mandatory) a bit serious.

Any ideas how long (tough) the PR gets after the recent changes in the Canadian Visa rules in 2015? It goes through a lottery ! if I am correct.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I got admitted to the co-op mba program. Being an international student, its quite a relief as my interview was held quite late. Anyways, I suggest we all create a https://gmatclub.com/chat group so that we can discuss about transportation and accommodation. I will take the initiative and create one. All admits whether to co-op or to the full time program are most welcome to inbox (personal message) me their phone number including country code. I shall add them to the group.

p.s.: Many thanks to haihai for sharing his interview experience. It was really helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Has anyone been able to get their hands on the 2015-2016 prospectus/brochure? I could only find the 2014-2015 one of the same. I would need the latest one to apply for bank loan. Please let me know if any of you guys manage to find the elusive 2015-2016 prospectus.

I am attaching the one I found. It may help you.
Attachments

MBA Program 2014-2015-FINAL.pdf [3.76 MiB]
Downloaded 125 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Has anyone been able to get their hands on the 2015-2016 prospectus/brochure? I could only find the 2014-2015 one of the same. I would need the latest one to apply for bank loan. Please let me know if any of you guys manage to find the elusive 2015-2016 prospectus.

I am attaching the one I found. It may help you.

I got in touch with Angela fiorillo, and she said that the latest brochure and placement statistics havent been published yet. This was around 2 weeks ago.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sumit87 wrote:

I got in touch with Angela fiorillo, and she said that the latest brochure and placement statistics havent been published yet. This was around 2 weeks ago.

Thanks a lot for the info man. I was about to call her today. I suppose no use troubling her as of now. Lets wait a few more months and hope that they start publishing after they are done with the interviews.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: DeGroote (A$)
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 3.86
Send PM