Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Re: Down On Consulting [#permalink]
Does anyone know if travel is reduced as one becomes more senior? Or vice versa (ie. does it increase)?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Down On Consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
It changes. Unless you've made it a point to build a local client book, you'll still travel 3-4 days/week. Even with locally headquartered clients, you'll likely be travel to their other sites. The difference is that you might hit 2-3 cities in a week, instead of 1. If you travel directly between them, that means more travel with the same amount of time at home. Many of the Partners I know go home at least once midweek, which means far more time in transit, but more time at home.

Patterns observed during my internship:

Analysts/associate/consultants - To client Monday morning, back on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon.

CTL/Project leaders/engagement managers - Generally the same with an occasional Tuesday arrival or Tuesday/Wednesday departure to allow for a practice area meeting or proposal work.

Principal - Similar to above or splitting time between 2 projects. I.e. M-T and client 1 and W-Th are client 2 or in the office for ramp up.

Junior partners - Time split between 2 clients and office for business development or partner meetings. Maybe M at client 1, T in office, and W-Th at client 2 w/ project in full swing.

Senior partner - At least 3 clients per week, even to some without current projects. M client 1 with direct flight to client 2 in the evening for T-W, home for W night, client 3 daytrip on Thurs. "Extra" night at home in exchange for 1 additional flight.

"Flight" could also mean quick drive to local client or long drive to regional client.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi all,

I would like to know whether volunteering in any (Oxfam and etc.) non profit work is taken into account by adcoms? Or this must not be volunteering, but full time job? What are your take ons? ))
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Down On Consulting [#permalink]
Kudos
???

Originally posted by jadon on 23 Apr 2015, 18:47.
Last edited by jadon on 04 Jul 2015, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I think that it is realistic, but like getting a job/internship at MBB from any background, it is difficult. Many international students in my year chose to recruit for offices abroad because they felt more comfortable there (language, culture, etc), but not because it wasn't realistic to get an offer in NYC. I know of a few international students, from this years class and last years, who received offers from MBB in the U.S.

There is no way to "compensate", all you can do is prepare for the interview and network. Meet people from the firms (especially from the offices you want to work at), learn about each firms unique selling points, get a feel for firm culture, make sure your resume is up to scratch, and do plenty of behavioral and case prep.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
great insights in this thread, thanks everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
AjMBA wrote:
I think that it is realistic, but like getting a job/internship at MBB from any background, it is difficult. Many international students in my year chose to recruit for offices abroad because they felt more comfortable there (language, culture, etc), but not because it wasn't realistic to get an offer in NYC. I know of a few international students, from this years class and last years, who received offers from MBB in the U.S.

There is no way to "compensate", all you can do is prepare for the interview and network. Meet people from the firms (especially from the offices you want to work at), learn about each firms unique selling points, get a feel for firm culture, make sure your resume is up to scratch, and do plenty of behavioral and case prep.

Question - if one chooses to recruit for international locations, is the salary comparable to what one would make in the US? ie. $140k+ at MBB, Deloitte, etc.?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
hopeful101candidate wrote:
AjMBA wrote:

Question - if one chooses to recruit for international locations, is the salary comparable to what one would make in the US? ie. $140k+ at MBB, Deloitte, etc.?

I wouldn't know because I recruited for U.S. locations only and Salary isn't something you discuss with everyone (or anyone). Try searching for it on Google, I'm sure that you will get some credible information.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM