Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618968 [6]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [4]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: If side AB measures 3 and side BC measures 4, what is the length of li [#permalink]
Kudos
Isn't it true that on official problem solving questions, if the figure doesn't say not drawn to scale, then it is?

We can measure the shape and eliminate A D and E. B is also likely too short.

It has to be C. Done in about 30 seconds.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Re: If side AB measures 3 and side BC measures 4, what is the length of li [#permalink]
andyvsgmat wrote:
Isn't it true that on official problem solving questions, if the figure doesn't say not drawn to scale, then it is?

I'd also like confirmation about that. Is that true?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618968 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
TheViceroy wrote:
andyvsgmat wrote:

OFFICIAL GUIDE:

Problem Solving
Figures: All figures accompanying problem solving questions are intended to provide information useful in solving the problems. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Data Sufficiency:
Figures:
• Figures conform to the information given in the question, but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
• Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight.
• The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero.
• All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
TheViceroy wrote:
andyvsgmat wrote:

OFFICIAL GUIDE:

Problem Solving
Figures: All figures accompanying problem solving questions are intended to provide information useful in solving the problems. Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted. Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight. The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero. All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Data Sufficiency:
Figures:
• Figures conform to the information given in the question, but will not necessarily conform to the additional information given in statements (1) and (2).
• Lines shown as straight are straight, and lines that appear jagged are also straight.
• The positions of points, angles, regions, etc., exist in the order shown, and angle measures are greater than zero.
• All figures lie in a plane unless otherwise indicated.

Hope it helps.

Thanks Bunuel. This is the crazy part: "Figures are drawn as accurately as possible. Exceptions will be clearly noted.". I think you guys can make a bigger deal out of this. On some questions, like this one, knowing that is night and day. You can literally just measure your way to the answer if the answers are spread out.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618968 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Attachment:
Triangle-ABCD.png
If side AB measures 3 and side BC measures 4, what is the length of line segment BD?

(A) 7/5
(B) 9/5
(C) 12/5
(D) 18/5
(E) 23/5

Kudos for a correct solution.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

While many will rush into an abyss of Pythagorean Theorem, thinking out loud can show you a calm, proactive way to do this.

“Thinking out loud…I know that it’s a right triangle so if AB = 3 and BC = 4, it’s a 3-4-5 and side AC is 5. And as much as I want side AC to be cut in half by point D I don’t think I can do that. There are three different right triangles so I could go nuts with Pythagorean Theorem but that’s a lot of work. Thinking out loud, I also know that the perimeter is 3 + 4 + 5 and the area is 1/2(base)(height) so that’s 1/2 (3)(4) = 6. But what can I do with that?

Thinking out loud…the answer choices are all divided by 5…why do they all look like that? The only 5 in the problem so far is the 5 that’s side AC. Why would I multiply or divide by that?

Thinking out loud…BD is definitely going to be smaller than 4 because there’s no way it’s longer than side BC. So it can’t be E. But what else do I know about BD? It’s perpendicular to side AC, and AC is 5 and that’s that 5 in the denominator. Thinking out loud…what if I drew the triangle so that AC was on the bottom and not on the side? Then BD would be the height of triangle ABC and AC would be the base…but wait, I already know the area is 6, so that area 1/2 (side BD)(5) has to be 6, which means that side BD has to be 12/5, answer choice C.”

The takeaway here is that almost no one sees the area relationship with side BD right away, and that’s okay. The key to working on problems like these is staying loose and filling in unknowns. You can’t simply do math on paper and follow a set of steps…you need to do some thinking out loud and talk to yourself as you solve. For each of Drake, Nicki, and Wayne the phrase “thinking out loud” is followed by a wild description of how much money they have. Follow that “thinking out loud” philosophy and you’ll be on a similar pace with the help of an elite MBA.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Ha! I never would have guessed the official explanation would have gone that route. I would've expected a math heavy approach.

I still have to say, I don't think even this explanation makes a big enough deal out of the 'drawn to scale' rules. I bet if you did a poll, you'd discover most other students don't know that official 'drawn to scale' rule for PS that you shared.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
why doesn't the orthocentre of right angle triangle work here i.e perpendicular to hypotenuse from B should bisect the hypotenuse and that is also equal to half the hypotenuse
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts