Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-03-2015
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 1 month more but still struggling with Quant and a 550 something score [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Pretz,

There are a couple of different 'issues' here, so you have to decide what is the MOST important issue and we'll work from there.

To start, when was the last time that you took a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)? What were your scores on that CAT (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?

Next, you mentioned '1 month more', but does that mean that you already have an Official Test Date, 1 month is when want to take your GMAT or 1 month is a 'deadline' of some kind.

Given what you've described, you probably need MORE than 1 month to hit your broader goals (and there might be a limit to how high you can actually perform doing things "your way."), so what is MORE important - scoring 750 (or at least close to it) or taking the GMAT in 1 month?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Last Full Length CAT - Mar 30, 2015 Q29 V22
    Yes, My test is scheduled for July 3rd, 2015.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: 1 month more but still struggling with Quant and a 550 something score [#permalink]
dwartenb89 wrote:
Pretz,

First I just want to say, you can do this! You're approaching this experience well and demonstrating commitment to the task at hand. With that said, it seems like you have done a lot to practice new material, but how often do you review the problems you have already done? Sure you're getting plenty of questions correct, but are you always able to articulate why? Check yourself for the silly mistakes, and places where there are gaps in fundamental knowledge. You may know the fundamentals, but are you able to apply them in the heat of the moment? I struggle with that sometimes. Essentially, review those error logs and identify potential weaknesses. If you see where you went wrong in a question, make a flashcard reminding you of the particular formula/concept you missed.

Secondly, I'm sensing some mental fatigue. I'm not sure 5 hours a day and 10 hours a day are going to do you any good if it only tires you out. Furthermore, you need to give your brain a chance to solidify the material you are learning practicing. I used to teach High School drumline. If I didn't give the kids a chance to let new material soak in, they would go brain dead after practicing too many hours straight. You would be amazed what brief intentional breaks can do to solidify concepts. I'm not saying you take a week off, or even a day, but giving your self a mix of heavy study days and lighter review days may be benefitial.

Lastly, I supposed I would suggest that you not focus on a 750, not because you cannot acheive it, but because it will more beneficial for you to simply focus on one question at a time, mastering every concept for each question you face. Otherwise, you may put too much pressure on yourself to perform.

You can do this, and do it well!
I hope my post was helpful.

~David 8-)

Thank you so much. This makes more sense. Yes, I was not reviewing the questions as frequently as required than I am rushing to finish more and more problems to track the patterns of the kind of questions that may come in the test.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pretz,

Since your last CAT was 2 months ago, we really need to see how far you've progressed in your studies. As such, you should plan to take a FULL-LENGTH CAT (including the Essay and IR sections) soon (possibly this weekend). You should make sure to use a CAT (and not a Club Test); once you have those scores, you should report back here.

With a July 3rd Test Date, you have just 5 weeks of study time remaining and that is probably not enough time for you to achieve your goals. While you might not *like* the idea, you might have to consider pushing back your Test Date.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot