Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM gmat4IMD: Official
In the meantime, got a letter of attendance from IMD confirming officially that I’m part of the IMD MBA class of 2016.
Time to chat a bit with my future classmates. IMD is already connecting future classmates officially through web…
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: First Summer of MBA

The following pictures perfectly describe what I’ve been up to these days. MBA is an extremely valuable tool in your career, no doubt, just that it is also a difficult process that requires devotion, time, and thoughts.

Past weeks have been about designing my fulltime job application plan, searching for internship leads, studying for certifications, and resting.

To those coming into Rotman this September, enjoy your summer, like really enjoy it before coming. You will miss it.

To my friends, enjoy to the fullest.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: What matters more to you and why?
Emily Ambrose finds key questions reverberating louder during her time on campus

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: School’s out for summer
Over the last week my Facebook wall has been flooded with most positive, almost euphoric emotions: “End of a fantastic school year”, “What a life-changing year it’s been”, “My first year has been magical”. We’ve debated our last cases, wrote five five-hour exams and pitched our FIELD3 businesses during IPO day. In other words, it’s over and out.
In all honesty, I found this euphoria a bit baffling. At 50% of the course done, it has certainly been an intellectually stimulating, humbling and fun experience. But I am not quite yet there to call it “transformational”.
Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Reflections on China
Michael Wieder is inspired by his trip to Beijing and Shanghai

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Pre-summer workout
Monica Dee describes how things are heating up on campus

Read more
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD: My roof for the next year
Still 7 months to go to be at Lausanne. But, as Lausanne has a vacancy rate of 0.1% for rental properties, I booked my rental apartment yesterday for the next year at IMD. IMD has just made our search that much easy.
 College confirmation - Check
Apartment - Check
Visa / residence permit — will start soon
Current Student
Send PM
FROM gmat4IMD: MBA
I always heard from most of the MBA graduates that one of the most important things that I would learn from an MBA is the “What are the right questions to ask?”
But, ever since I started thinking of an MBA, I’ve had to ask the right questions to myself to get an answer. Be it my strengths or weaknesses, my goal or purpose, why an MBA or what after MBA etc.,
Only when I answered all these questions, I realized that the MBA is what I want to do in life. Now, I have another 7 months before my MBA at IMD. The questions have already started popping in my mind. What do I need to know before the MBA, how do I equip myself for the perfect first day at the school, how do I lay out my career map from now on, what do I need to do to ensure a smooth move from India to Switzerland?
Questions, questions and questions … But, the biggest question I always had was why I should choose IMD over other colleges?
Here is the thing. I want my MBA to help me to enhance myself in terms of knowledge, network and brand equity.
Knowledge :
The right tools for my future career and the case based approach to have a deep understanding of how various businesses work. Starting off with the start-up projects to the International Consulting projects and the Discovery expedition, I think IMD a huge list of real world stuff in store for us. Other than all these activities, the fact that IMD has more than 1000 hours of classroom teaching is phenomenal and also daunting. Will be a hectic year indeed!!!
Network :
Do I want a tight-knit network or a huge network? A network of quality or quantity was the question that kept popping in my mind before I decided on IMD. Though, IMD MBA has only 90 candidates every year, when I was at Lausanne for the assessment day, I saw that the current students were very receptive, collaborative and encouraging. It clearly showed that IMD believes in a close-knit community rather than a huge community. A bold but a great idea.
Brand Equity :
Since an MBA is something which will stick on to me forever, I wanted to get one from one of the elite colleges. IMD is known to be one of the more difficult colleges to get in as they like to maintain a diverse set of people in a class of 90. This basically translates to not more than 10% from one nationality or even less than 10%. IMD also does a proper background check of it’s candidates. A unique full day of assessment of it’s candidates before accepting them into the program. These basically help you show your uniqueness to your future employers as getting through into a program with such stringent selection measures is in itself a big task. IMD’s unique and unmatched Leadership stream is also a big plus for me in the future. At the end of the day, I wanted to be a part of one of the 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
My name is Himani Bhardwaj. I am from India. I have given gmat 2 times. First i have taken 1 week leave and i got 450 . Second time around 2 month preparation i got only 410 mark. My financial situation was not good enough to pay the fee. I had plan that i would take loan from college as i got the information from website. I have 2.8 year experience in IT sector and 2 year social experience. Can you guide me because i am loosing my hope.

Thanks,
Himani Bhardwaj
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Anticipation is growing
Brenden Sheehan shares the excitement of some of his classmates

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Reflecting on stretch experiences
Philippa Rock sees the benefits of developing her network by trying new things

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: An experience to share
New blogger Timo Marquez describes the 25th anniversary of a sporting event

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Do you suffer from FOMO?
Owen Woolcock explains the fear of missing out that many students experience

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Do you suffer from fomo?
Owen Woolcock explains the fear of missing out that many students experience

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: Leadership for good
Omar Khan believes leadership is about making a positive impact

Read more
SVP
SVP
Send PM
FROM Financial Times MBA Blog: School’s not out for summer
Kristina Koch explores the reasons why students spend time at Rotman during summer break

Read more
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Ambitiousbusinessguy: The New Work-Life Balance
I few weeks ago I participated in a challenge at work to reinvent the way we work.  Below is what I posted….

I am often told by Generation Xers and Baby Boomers what Millennials are, what they aren’t, what they value, what they are good at, and what they aren’t good at.  Unfortunately, I am rarely asked my opinion.  So for those of you that might wonder, but haven’t asked yet, let me give you one perspective on what this Millennial values.

Let me be a bit hypocritical and provide my perspective of how Baby Boomers define work-life balance. It seems to me that Baby Boomers view work-life balance as an accounting exercise.  Of course, “balance” is dependent on the individual but most seem to do the accounting the same:  Time spent at work is listed as a “debit” and time at home is a “credit”.  The individual, with input from the individual’s bosses and family, decide how much time is spent on each to find the right “balance.”

This millennial is not interested in work-life accounting. To take this one step further, I do not even view work-life as two separate things.  I do not want to go to a job that makes me feel like I’m not alive, then go home to “accrue” enough time to repeat the process tomorrow.  That sounds really exhausting and likely to failure when one part of the equation requires more attention.  Work is a part of my life (a part that I really love!), but in order to make this work for me, life needs to be a part of my work.  What does this mean in practical terms?…

• I want to text my wife and friends at work, “like all the time, lol”
  • I want to Facetime my daughter
  • I am not willing to miss bedtime more than two-nights in a row
  • I am almost always willing to work from home after my daughter goes to bed
  • I love Flexible work times and I will never abuse it.
  • I am usually too busy to work the weekend (laptops are not Hiking Trail friendly), but I am happy to do so when really necessary.
  • You can call me anytime that I am awake (vacations, weekends, holidays, I really don’t mind)
  • but, I would prefer that you text me, since it allows me to control how I work it into my day
  • Also, email me anytime, but you shouldn’t expect me to drop everything immediately.
  • You should tell me when you need things done, especially if you send something on the weekend or evenings.
  • I am going to check my email constantly.  (Thank you iPhone!)
  • I don’t mind always being connected. I will ignore my phone when I need to.
  • You should expect emails from me all the time (3 AM, yep.  7 AM on Saturday, yep.  Midnight on Christmas Eve, yep).
  • I want to check my personal email at work, as well as, take care of any other personal matters when they need addressing.
  • If I am at my desk, I will have headphones on. (Got to listen to my jams, Bro!)
  • I am glad that I can order dinner at work
  • I do not like it when you track how much time I am at work, because this is not a good predictor of how much work I am getting done.
  • I wish I could take naps at work.  This would really make late nights and long afternoons easier.
  • On-site services, such as cleaners, convenience stores, and health centers greatly improve work-life balance

Preparing for a great trip in Banff National Park, Alberta
A few broader themes:

• Most companies value diversity, but sometimes it feels like we employ a narrow definition.  We want folks from different backgrounds (age, race, gender, nationality), but once we get here we are all expected to dress and behave the same way.  Diversity only works if you are making a mixed salad; everything tastes the same in a vegetable stew
  • I want to be able to have fun with my co-workers at work (safe for work fun, of course) and I want to be able to discuss work with my friends and family.
  • Most importantly, I want to be allowed to be myself always. Work is a big part of my life, I don’t like it when my family gets annoyed when I talk about it.  My life does not end when I get to work, I don’t not want to pretend to be someone different when I get here.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  44   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts