Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [31]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [8]
Given Kudos: 258
MISSION : 800
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [2]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The anthropomorphic bias of those who would relegate marsupials to an [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't understand question 2 at all. It's asking what favors the development of intelligence as a trait of placental mammals? I thought this was asking what advantages mammals have over marsupials; is it simply asking what relates to them?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [2]
Given Kudos: 1036
Send PM
Re: The anthropomorphic bias of those who would relegate marsupials to an [#permalink]
Kudos
georgethomps wrote:
I don't understand question 2 at all. It's asking what favors the development of intelligence as a trait of placental mammals? I thought this was asking what advantages mammals have over marsupials; is it simply asking what relates to them?

The second paragraph addresses this question in detail. The last bit is quite helpful:
"Placentals, on the other hand, not only have a longer gestation period but, once their young are born, must often leave while foraging. Such absences increase the risk of mortality and decrease the opportunity to learn. Thus, among placentals, selection would favor the appearance of intelligence in the young and protective behavior in the mother."

Going through the question choices:
I) The need to leave their young while foraging
(mentioned in the second paragraph)
II) The comparatively great risk of accidental death of the young
(mentioned in the second paragraph)
III)The opportunity for the young to observe the mother at leisure
(mentioned in the second paragraph as a trait for marsupials not placentals)

The answer is I & II only.

Please send some kudos if this was helpful.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 168
Send PM
Kudos
Regarding Question3,

Pointing to the absence of the "virtue" of maternal protectiveness in marsupials is an instance of how mistaken are those theorists who see similarities with humans as marks of evolutionary sophistication.

What does above sentence mean?

The author's attitude toward those who consider marsupials to occupy an inferior evolutionary position would most probably be one of

The author is in agreement toward those who consider marsupials to occupy an inferior evolutionary position. How is it a disagreement?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Q4: Scientist name is written as Health in option 4 and the name of the scientist mentioned in RC is Heath. How can this will be a wrong option unless there is a typo error?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Hi, it took me 14 min to read and answer all the questions. Though I got all of them right barring the first one, what is an effective way to reduce the passage reading time?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
pradeepgontla wrote:
Q4: Scientist name is written as Health in option 4 and the name of the scientist mentioned in RC is Heath. How can this will be a wrong option unless there is a typo error?

All of the following authorities are cited for their work on marsupials EXCEPT
A) Johnson
B) Parker
C) Health
D) Williams
E) Serventy

All the 5 author names are mentioned in the para.

Johnson, Parker, Health and Serventy are cited for their work related to marsupials while Williams is cited for a general argument about Evolution -

Yet Williams argues that
"All else being equal, natural selection will favor instinctive over learned behavior as being more biologically efficient and that it is the accidental death of the young that is the prime selective pressure for the evolution of intelligence "
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
Anirudddh wrote:
Regarding Question3,

Pointing to the absence of the "virtue" of maternal protectiveness in marsupials is an instance of how mistaken are those theorists who see similarities with humans as marks of evolutionary sophistication.

What does above sentence mean?

The author's attitude toward those who consider marsupials to occupy an inferior evolutionary position would most probably be one of

The author is in agreement toward those who consider marsupials to occupy an inferior evolutionary position. How is it a disagreement?

Let's paraphrase the issue here:
The fact that the marsupials drop their babies is due to a process of favores selection. So, it cannot be compared with the "virtue" of mammals who do not drop their babies i.e. mammals were never subjected to the selection process of dropping their babies. So, if a person compare mammals' trait of not dropping their babies as a "virtue" and says that marsupials are inferior because of it, then the author will respond to that person as "Look man, each group was subjected to a different selection criteria, so ones "virtue" does not apply to other".

Capiche?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts