Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [70]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [15]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [9]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Re: According to a recent census, West Egg had more mansions per ca-pita [#permalink]
Shouldn't 'C' also be the right answer here,

Per Capita for west:
8/10 = 0.8

Per Capita for East:
5/9 = 0.55

0.8 > 0.55

I picked C and I'm still not sure why this isn't the right answer.

WaterFlowsUp wrote:
west Egg: Let's say
Before demolition # of houses =20
# of resident = 10
Per capita =2

Eas egg
# of houses=17
# of people=9
per-capita= 1.95

after demolotion of a dozenmansion

WEST egg
# of houses= 8
east egg
# of houses= 5

Therefore B can be inferred
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: According to a recent census, West Egg had more mansions per ca-pita [#permalink]
Bookmarks
WaterFlowsUp wrote:
According to a recent census, West Egg had more mansions per ca-pita last year than East Egg, while East Egg had slightly fewer residents than West Egg. Since the census, West Egg and East Egg have each seen the demolition of a dozen dilapidated mansions within their respective borders, and no new mansions have begun construction. It must be true, therefore, that _________.

Which of the following best completes the passage?

A) West Egg and East Egg both have more cared-for mansions than dilapidated mansions.
B) West Egg has more mansions than East Egg.
C) West Egg has more mansions per capita than East Egg.
D) West Egg and East Egg have the same number of mansions.
E) West Egg has more residents than East Egg

My Approach to solve this one is .......

1) West egg more mentions per capita than East engg (number of mansions / total population )
2) East engg has slightly fewer residents (assume equal) to West engg .

Now from these points you can infer that West has more mansions than East has .

Also this point says , demolition has equal impact on both east and west mansions ....this tells number of mensions reduced in east is equal to that of west .
So we can say that west still has more mansions than east has .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q48 V17
GMAT 2: 630 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Why is E wrong?

In must be true question rephrasing premise is also a correct answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Schools: Duke '20 (D)
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
picked E. I can see how B can possibly be correct but E is not incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / daagh,

I am stuck between B and C.
OA is B.
Can you please assist why is C incorrect.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
dina98 wrote:
picked E. I can see how B can possibly be correct but E is not incorrect.

Hi,
E is incorrect because we are not told anything about the change in population

if the population has increased in west and decreased in east, YES..
But if the population has decreased in west and increased in east, NO..

We cannot assume that the relative value of last year are true for this year unless specified
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hey Guys
Look at these two sentences:
West Egg had more mansions per ca-pita last year than East Egg, while East Egg had slightly fewer residents than West Egg.
Pay attention to "slightly" which means:
West Egg mansion per capita * residents > East Egg mansion percapita* residents
And both West Egg and East Egg will demolite same amount of mansions, so still, West Egg mansions are more than East Egg.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 427
Concentration: Healthcare
GPA: 3.01
Send PM
As per chetan2u 's logic,nothing can be assumed about the change in population, as it could have increased or decreased. This is the reason why E is incorrect and why C is uncertain.

C talks about mansion per capita = Total mansion/Total population. Since, this option is dependent on population and we are uncertain about fluctuation in population between the two points, C is uncertain.

However, going by the same logic, B is also uncertain. B talks about number of mansions, which product of mansions per capita & total population. Since the answer is dependent on total population and following the logic that you stated for C and E, their is a possibility that population of West Egg has declined extremely drastically and is now way less than East Egg. In that scenario, the number of mansions will be less in West Egg then East Egg.
If we are using the logic that we cannot assume population increase or decrease and ruling out option E and C, we should apply the same logic to A.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sonaxi wrote:
As per chetan2u 's logic,nothing can be assumed about the change in population, as it could have increased or decreased. This is the reason why E is incorrect and why C is uncertain.

C talks about mansion per capita = Total mansion/Total population. Since, this option is dependent on population and we are uncertain about fluctuation in population between the two points, C is uncertain.

However, going by the same logic, B is also uncertain. B talks about number of mansions, which product of mansions per capita & total population. Since the answer is dependent on total population and following the logic that you stated for C and E, their is a possibility that population of West Egg has declined extremely drastically and is now way less than East Egg. In that scenario, the number of mansions will be less in West Egg then East Egg.
If we are using the logic that we cannot assume population increase or decrease and ruling out option E and C, we should apply the same logic to A.

Hi sonaxi..
You are correct that the mansions are dependent on population and per capita..
So let's see what was the case before demolition..
W had more mansions per capita and more population too last year..
So ofcourse more mansions per capita and more population MEANS more mansions last year..

Now what has happened since last year..
Same number of mansions are demolished. So same number being taken out, the larger number will remain larger..
So We has more mansions than E..
B should be true and certain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM