Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [35]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V27
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: Cambridge'16
Re: Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 – 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
Bookmarks
We use past perfect in D just because it is reporting sentence in which all simple pasts go past perfect. Otherwise, there is no need to use PP, it is clear from context that one event comes before another
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 – 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
Temurkhon wrote:
We use past perfect in D just because it is reporting sentence in which all simple pasts go past perfect. Otherwise, there is no need to use PP, it is clear from context that one event comes before another

How is D preferred over E? Is it only past perfect. or something else. I too think that past perfect is not mandatory.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 356 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 – 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
Kudos
From the point believed A and B are wrong because of parallelism error. after "and" both A and B have that which is not there, in first part, in both A and B.

C and E are wrong because of use of simple future tense "Will". as this belief was of Geologist and stated by author in present time. so use of "would" form is correct with past perfect in first part. C also has meaning issue.

I don't know my If my explanations are right or not but this is how I did it.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
The we need to use past perfect since one action started in the past and finished in the past. Hence D is a correct choice. "Would" is correct because we deal with forecast
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
I choose b because we do not have a past action which happen after to use past perfect here.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1779 [0]
Given Kudos: 2562
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
the real issue in E is the verb tense.
"than was previously suspected" is correct. There is a question with the similar pattern, but the pattern in E is correct. I guess such issue of comparison is not a big deal in gmat.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5650 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 – 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
Kudos

MAGOOSH Official Explanation:

Split #1: the object of "believe" has to be a "that" clause. In colloquial speech, one can drop the word "that", but in the formal language of the GMAT, this is unacceptable. We need to have the word "that" at the beginning of the clause. Choices (A) & (B) omit the word "that", and so are incorrect.

Split #2: the comparison following the words "much older Earth" ----

(A) compared to what they previously expected --- long & awkward

(B) than was previously expected --- elegant & correct

(C) compared to the previously expected --- long & awkward

(D) than was previously suspected --- elegant & correct

(E) than they previously suspected --- awkward

Technically the awkward versions could be correct, so we can't definitively eliminate anything on this basis, but we suspect none of these will be part of the correct answer.

Split #3: sequence of tenses. Lyell believed something in the past, and so the verbs describing the content of his belief must follow the rules of the sequence of tenses. The "underestimating" was done by theologians before Lyell's time, in Lyell's past, so this verb should be in the past perfect, "had underestimated." The "justifying" was in Lyell's future, so this verb should be in the conditional tense, "would justify." Only (A) & (D) have the first verb in the past perfect, and only (B) & (D) have the second verb in the condition. Therefore, only (D) has both verbs correct.

For all these reasons, (D) is the only possible answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
A,B -"that" is needed to prevent distortion of meaning.
C,E - While talking about future in past we have to use "would". Usage of will is incorrect.

Hence, D is the answer.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 623
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Judge '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.1
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Critical points: 1. Norms of reported speech 2. Connector parallelism, and 3. The verb ‘believed’ before the start of the underlining.

A) the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth compared to what they previously expected ---. Eliminated on point 1 for not observing the norms of reported speech
B) the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence would justify a much older Earth than was previously suspected -- Eliminated on point 2. Lack of connector parallelism
C) that the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth compared to the previously expected – ‘Believed’ is the last of the past events. That entails simple past; underestimating was the earlier event; so we need a past perfect to describe underestimating—had underestimated is the proper verb tense form.
D) that the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence would justify a much older Earth than was previously suspected – perfect in all respects. Use of the future past modal’ would’ is correct; correct choice

E) that the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth than they previously suspected -- simple past is inapt; again the shift of tense from the modal past to simple future is serious flaw.
The split between expected and suspected seems to be a distracter. Not sure why anyone will suspects or expects a factual finding; best to ignore it.

Hey daagh,

so as I understand, what I one thing that does not work in E, is the fact, that it uses simple past as a base (believed) and continues from this past with future, which is not possible, because future in the past, is "would" so to say. Am I right?

Cheers
Rudolf
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Am I understanding it right that if I’m the correct answer choice, instead of “vastly underestimated”, “had vastly underestimated” was written, then the conditional verb would change to “would have justified” (what tense is this? Future perfect?) from “would previously justify”

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V38
Send PM
Hi, Could anyone help me with comparison rules here?
Apart from any other grammar rules, how can i rule out wrong choices among these based on comparison part?

As far as i'm concerned, "older" cannot be with "compared to", so i ruled out A and C
but after that i was totally lost :)

A) a much older Earth compared to what they previously expected
B) a much older Earth than was previously suspected
C) a much older Earth compared to the previously expected
D) a much older Earth than was previously suspected
E) a much older Earth than they previously suspected
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35 (Online)
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
If D is prefered over E coz of reported speech, can you please tell me the the direct speech of the the following:

Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 ??? 1875) believed that the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence would justify a much older Earth than was previously suspected.

I was under the impression that direct/reported speech is only applicable for the sentenced that has been said by someone
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 60
Send PM
Re: Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 1875) believed the theologians of [#permalink]
Harley1980 here all

The correct answer seems like E for reasons below.

-> The past perfect seems incorrect because the events are unrelated.
------>Did the theologians underestimated so Geologist Charles Lyell could believe?

-> The questions mentions "to what they previously expected"
.------>The removal of pronoun changes the meaning of the sentence and we no longer know who expected the said action.

Please comment if anyone can help. Thanks
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishalsinghvs08 wrote:
Harley1980 here all

The correct answer seems like E for reasons below.

-> The past perfect seems incorrect because the events are unrelated.
------>Did the theologians underestimated so Geologist Charles Lyell could believe?

-> The questions mentions "to what they previously expected"
.------>The removal of pronoun changes the meaning of the sentence and we no longer know who expected the said action.

Please comment if anyone can help. Thanks

Hello vishalsinghvs08,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, the past events need not be related to one another for the past perfect tense to apply.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Geologist Charles Lyell (1797 – 1875) believed the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth compared to what they previously expected.

A) the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth compared to what they previously expected
B) the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence would justify a much older Earth than was previously suspected
C) that the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth compared to the previously expected
D) that the theologians of previous centuries had vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence would justify a much older Earth than was previously suspected
E) that the theologians of previous centuries vastly underestimated the age of the Earth and that evidence will justify a much older Earth than they previously suspected

Two events which occurred in the past one takes had+ past participle and other takes simple past. There should be parallelism between that the theologians and that the evidence so the ans is D.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts