Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
R1 applicant here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [1]
Given Kudos: 502
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
In for R1. Excited to start the process
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
R1 applicant, good luck all!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Dean Blount speaks at White House

Visiting the White House on Wednesday, Aug. 5, Dean Sally Blount ’92 met with senior advisers and several leaders from the business and business school communities to discuss the changing needs of the 21st century workplace.

That workplace must focus on expanding opportunities for women in business through recruitment, training and retention while implementing policies that work for families, according to Blount, Senior Advisor to the President Valerie Jarrett, and several others.

Telltale signs of this change are already apparent. Streaming video service Netflix recently announced that it would grant unlimited paid leave to employees within the first year of a child’s birth or adoption.

Kellogg also just announced a record-high percentage of female students — 43 percent — in its incoming Full-Time Class of 2017.

“We’ve worked hard on that the last couple of years,” Blount said. “We invest heavily in developing the 21st century workforce and we see that as part of our mission with the strong female leadership that we have.”

Learn more about Dean Blount’s White House visit.

Find out about Kellogg’s Women’s Business Association.

Filed under: Business Insight, Career Tagged: class profile, Dean Blount, leadership, WBA, White House, Women's Business Association
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Warmth and competence | MBA Learnings
Current student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts.

We discussed the tension between “warmth and competence” in the first week of classes at school.

The HBR article that the chart below appears in has an apt title – “Connect, then Lead.” The thesis is: start with warmth and prioritize demonstrating warmth over competence. High warmth and high competence inspires admiration, while low warmth and high competence inspires envy and other negative emotions.

Source: HBR (https://hbr.org/2013/07/connect-then-lead)

Academics have used this concept in various ways to show how various cultural/demographic/occupational groups are perceived in various parts of the world. As usual, I’m going to gloss over all that and focus on the implications for you and me.

I’ve been retrospectively examining how I’ve been doing on warmth vs. competence. And I’ve found that I’ve failed a lot more than I’ve succeeded.

As you’ve probably realized, the point here is not “admiration.” Being warm is just the right thing to do in most cases. However, I’ve realized I fail at this simply because behaving this way isn’t just a matter of wanting to. The fakers might disagree, but there’s always a fake-your-way-to solution to most problems in the short run. In the long run, I believe getting to warmth is a journey that accurately represents our progress in our journey to true self confidence.

My thesis is that it takes true self confidence to begin with warmth. Observing myself, I see a clear trend – I become myself as time passes in an interaction. However, in the early stages (e.g. the first 10 minutes), I subconsciously choose to lead with competence. That’s definitely because leading with competence placates my insecurities and makes me feel at ease. As momentum builds and a sense of ease builds up, I get over those insecurities and move into the confidence zone. Sometimes it only takes a minute to make this switch. Other times, it takes up to ten. But the pattern is there to see.

The only good piece of progress I can report is that I am becoming increasingly aware of it. And as I become aware of it, I find that it becomes easier to get to that state of ease.

Rohan Rajiv just completed his first year in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: competence, life lessons, MBA Learnings, warmth
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Everyone!

I am also looking forward to applying for R1, however im not quite sure if i will be a good fit at Kellogg. I have a GMAT score of 680 and 5 years of work experience in IT in the financial sector and want to make a complete industry and function change to marketing. Any thoughts if i'd be aiming to high by considering Kellogg?

Hoping for an honest opinion :D
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Upcoming Webinar: A Conversation with Kellogg’s Director of Admissions

Have you ever wanted to know insider tips on applying to Kellogg? Want to know how to make your application stand out?

If you answered yes to either of these questions, then you won’t want to miss Wednesday’s webinar with the Kellogg Admissions team. “Applying to Kellogg – A conversation with the Director of Admissions,” is scheduled to begin at noon (CDT) on Wednesday, Aug. 12. Beth Tidmarsh, director of admissions for Kellogg’s Full-Time program, will host the conversation and provide advice on the application process.

Register for the webinar

In the meantime, take a look at her previous blog series’ about applying to Kellogg:

Learn more about Kellogg’s Full-Time MBA program.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, admissions tips, application, application tips, Director of Admissions
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Discovering the many faces of innovation

By Ahalya Vijay

Did you know that Candy Crush brings in almost $1 million in revenue every single day? By comparison, Angry Birds earns $10,000 per day. Angry Birds innovated from a product perspective, but Candy Crush pushed all the right buttons to drive customer behavior in its favor.

Also, did you know that Uber’s business model is not product innovation? Uber’s fee-based model has been used by transportation and logistics companies like Maersk since the 1960s. Uber innovated by integrating existing elements into one seamless ‘ecosystem’ – it created a platform where independent drivers could communicate directly with customers on the street. And it made this platform available in each person’s pocket.

These are just a few of the interesting insights learned from Doblin co-founder Larry Keeley during a class visit to the global innovation firm’s Chicago offices. Keeley also teaches Innovation Frontiers, a core course in Kellogg’s MMM program.

The topic that afternoon was, quite simply, a crash course on what innovation looks, feels, tastes, smells and sounds like.

While most people think of innovation as mostly product-focused, Keeley used the above examples to discuss a 10-part innovation model that Doblin has developed. Product-focused innovation is a disruptive change, often resulting from a radical shift in technology that involves patenting a new product. Product innovations are easily ‘copiable,’ though, and often at a lower price point.

Keeley emphasized that successes like Uber were drawn out of multi-part innovations – disruptive changes that touch multiple components of the 10-part innovation model that result in the formation of a new ecosystem. For instance, consider the first ever Ford car. While it was a definitely an example of product innovation, positive cash flows continued to be a problem until Henry Ford launched channel and profit model innovations by selling to car dealers instead of directly to customers.

Interested in where this is going? We were too.

After learning how multi-faceted innovation could be, we split up into teams to ‘get our feet wet’ by designing an innovative new product or service, while at the same time thinking about more than just the actual product.

I guess we were all quite inspired by the session, because after 20 minutes the room came up with five amazing, yet viable, game-changing ideas. My team was quite jazzed up by the whole process, and we are even thinking of taking things a step further on our idea (which integrates philanthropy and retail to help donators feel more connected to those whose lives they are changing – that’s all I’m saying for now!).

The visit ended with a tour of Doblin’s offices. It’s interesting how Doblin has subverted the typical office set-up with a few rooms to facilitate teamwork and hotelling desks called “home bases” that encourage directors to sit next to consultants. They also have micro-kitchens (a la Google) with a delicious range of coffee. Another interesting feature is the main room in which they have client meetings – all furniture is on wheels making it easy to change the set-up of the room, and the room is partitioned into three sections by curtains to walk clients through Doblin-created solutions.

All in all, our visit was eye-opening. Through the innovation process, I learned more about my fellow classmates and what they are passionate about. Personally I learned the importance of taking a different approach to innovation, a critical component of several courses, projects and activities that we will do as MMM students over the next two years.

Learn more about Kellogg’s MMM program.

Ahalya Vijay is a first-year student in the MMM program at Kellogg. Prior to Kellogg, she did education consulting work with the South African government and technology/operations consulting across the US and Canada.

Filed under: Academics, Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: design innovation, Innovation, MMM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Making the most of your first year in an MBA program | MBA Learnings

First-year student Rohan Rajiv is blogging once a week about important lessons he is learning at Kellogg. Read more of his posts here.

A few months ago, I wrote a letter to an incoming MBA student in an attempt to help incoming students prepare for their two years at school. I tried staying away from specific advice in that post, as the assumption was that the framework ought to work for everyone.

Today, however, I’m going to dig into my first year process and provide specifics on how I spent my first year.

Given the MBA is a $200,000 investment (not counting opportunity costs in lost income), at this time last year I was very curious about any specific “process” advice. And I was generally left disappointed as most of the advice I found online was the in the “feels-good-but-useless” category – e.g. find your passion, build great relationships, travel, dream, take risks, etc.

This post has a lot of inherent personal bias as it is what worked for me, so please take these notes with healthy doses of salt. And, yes, this will be long and dense, but I hope you find it worthwhile.

As I outlined in the previous post, there are six priorities at business school: academics, career, extracurriculars, social, framily (close friends and family) and you. I’ll go through what I’ve learned as I’ve approached these at school.

1. Academics
a) Finding classes
  • Make a plan

I spent four hours during winter break going through every course that I’d be interested in. After making the list, I tallied all feedback I’d received about professors whose classes I should take. I went about creating a rough two-year plan. I haven’t stuck to it. But as always, the act of making a roadmap helped a lot.
  • Understand historical bidding statistics

We have a bidding system, so I spent time understanding the points spent on the course-in-question in the past and also looked at the average rating of the professor. With this data, I could easily spot the over-valued and under-valued courses. My takeaway – use data where possible and invest in understanding the system.
  • Ask for recommendations

Early on, I asked most second-years I met for top course recommendations. This helped a lot.
b) Attending classes
  • Show up

I think I missed just two classes through the year. That helped a lot.
  • Be 100% present

My natural ADD makes it difficult to keep focus throughout a class. So I worked out a simple forcing mechanism – sit in front. This helped ensure I didn’t spend my time mucking around on my phone or laptop and also ensured I fed off the professor’s energy. This worked most of the time, and that’s what I was shooting for.
  • Come prepared and participate

This is part of the “be 100% present” idea. Participation is an extension of that. Now, I think I was far better prepared in my Fall quarter than later quarters. After the first couple of weeks, I began getting a sense of the level of depth required and that helped me calibrate.
c) Group meetings
  • Align on expectations if possible

It is always helpful to have a conversation upfront if you feel there might be misalignment on goals and priorities. I can think of a couple of experiences when having this conversation would have helped.
  • Don’t count group meetings as study time

This is the same concept as work meetings – use this for discussion, agreement and decisions. Don’t count it as solo study time. Bring value to a group meeting (very hard to do sometimes).
  • No need to be the lead in every group

Continuing of the previous thread, if you find others taking the lead in some groups, let them. Just make sure you do the same in another group.
d) Preparing for exams
  • Think about whether you need the textbook

I didn’t use textbooks, but I know of people who did. So this might be true just be me. I found the course pack and readings to be more than sufficient.
  • Attend review sessions only if absolutely necessary

I went to very few. When I did, I often chose a video as you can skip through most parts.
  • 30 hours

I found that roughly 30 hours of study per course was sufficient to grasp the concepts and do well. This is roughly three hours per week. But for most people, you see spikes toward the end of the quarter.
  • Summarize lectures – single best learning

My strategy professor suggested we spend time after every class summarizing what we learnt. I’d read about this technique earlier and never tried it. While I didn’t strictly do it every class/week, I made sure I did it every time I studied. This typically happened when an assignment was due – the assignment naturally required knowledge of what had been taught in the prior couple of weeks. So, instead of diving into the answers of the assignment, I’d go back and make sure I summarized lectures first. This was an amazing move as it made it easier to make my notes to review before the exam. And in exams where we were only allowed a cheat sheet, it made the process of creating the cheat sheet really simple.
2. Career
I’ve covered my process in detail in lessons learned from internship recruiting. I just have two adds:

• Don’t view classmates as competition

Be of help to each other. We grow up conditioned to compete. Think of your classmates as temporary “path sharers.” Be nice to each other.
  • Start a prep group

We had a four-person tech group that met nearly every week for 10 weeks. It was one of the best things we did.
3. Extracurriculars
  • Understand why you’re doing extracurriculars

Different people do these for different reasons. Some career switchers like adding a note to their resume about a relevant professional club. Some want to test leadership. Some others want to meet people. There are many reasons to do them. My reasons were straightforward – I am driven by people, learning and impact. Extracurriculars have helped work on ideas that combine all three. They’re a fantastic opportunity to learn more about yourself, how you lead, how you work in teams, etc. I spend a significant amount of time on extracurriculars and it has been a highlight of my school experience.
  • Don’t be a flake

Once you commit to a leadership role, keep up that commitment. It is not just because everyone remembers flakes or because all those people you work with might have a strong say in a future career opportunity. It simply is the right thing to do.
  • If you’re unable to do work, communicate and apologize

It’s the worst case scenario, but it happens.
  • Run good team meetings

Most team members hate team meetings. That’s because they’re generally run badly. I’ve tried hard to run good team meetings – this means preparing hard, using the time meaningfully and following up. I’ve tried to set the norm of 100% participation early on and have tried to earn my team members’ time. It is a really useful skill to learn and hone.
  • Learn how to build great teams with peers

The best part about school is you work on projects with peers. If you can learn how to build high functioning teams with peers who’re only doing this out of personal motivation, I believe you can build great teams everywhere. Working on teams to lead the incoming student orientation week, our technology club and two other initiatives has been an education in itself.
4. Social
This is heavily biased as it comes from the point of view of an introvert.

• Look to build long-term relationships, not network

Building long term relationships take time. So take the time and be patient.
  • Invest in really getting to know as many people as you can

One of my wiser friends once said business school is where you’ll meet the highest proportion of people who are both interesting and interested in you. It is very true. In my case, I’ve tried setting up three or four coffee conversations every week. They aren’t ever over coffee. Every time I meet someone who I’d like to get to know better, I just put some time on their calendar (typically between classes), walk with them and swap stories. Many of these just turn out to be one-time meetings but some become really nice relationships. As with these things, it takes two hands to clap.
  • Maximize high quality social events

Hanging out with 100 people in a bar is what I term a “low quality” social event. Any time you meet people and talk about the weather is low quality as well. One-on-one or small group conversations that involve talking about things that matter to you are high quality. I maximize those.
  • For low quality social events, “HELL YEAH!” or no

If it isn’t a “HELL YEAH!”, I don’t show up.  (I did warn you this is very introvert biased).
  • Find ways to meet random people

It is easy to shut off and find your own clique. I created an open event for my entire class last quarter on a Friday evening. Twelve people showed up, a few of whom I’d never spoken to. That was a win. This a good reminder to do more of those.
5. Framily
My past life was outside the US. So most of these notes are directed to staying in touch with family and friends who live far away.

• Hang out with family when working/doing chores

I do a lot of conversations with family over breakfast, dish washing and other such chores. Thanks to FaceTime, it is really easy to prop Mom up on the desk while I’m doing other work. We’ve spoken a lot more during school days (as I often have flexible schedules) as a result.
  • Set aside time on Saturday morning to catch up with friends

While I wasn’t the most proactive friend in the fall quarter, I always made sure I had time set aside on Saturday mornings for catch up calls. That helped a lot.
  • Work on projects with people who matter and/or set up recurring calls

My friends and I work on a charity together. That means we catch up every two weeks, and that helps a lot. Every few months, we set up a big Google Hangout as an extension to our bi-weekly call. In a couple of special cases, I set up recurring calls.
6. You
This is the single most important priority. Nothing matters more. If you’re not taking care of yourself, you’re likely doing it wrong.

• I count my wife in this priority

It helps me prioritize time with her. I don’t do nearly as good a job as I’d like to. But I work hard on it as it is the single hardest challenge I’ve faced in school.
  • A 5:15 a.m. – 9:15 p.m. routine on weekdays really helps

As my wife leaves for work in the morning, I generally sync with her. So, this means I’m up by 5:15 a.m., do my morning routine and get ready until 7 a.m. I count 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. as my work day and plan study, activities and meetings between these slots. I’m generally back by 6 p.m., and we either head to the gym or go for a run around 6:15 p.m. Then we have dinner together. I try not to touch work or email after 7 p.m. I don’t do nearly as well I’d like to. But we do go to sleep by 9:30 p.m. or so. This means social nights are rare. But you’ve got to make trade-offs, and I’ve generally prioritized time with my wife.
  • Own your calendar

I generally schedule all my group meeting and catch up invites. This helps me allow for blocks of time to do work and also ensures I don’t take any meetings after 6 p.m. I’ve only had to make exceptions about four times in the year. That’s not bad at all.
  • Chill on Saturday afternoons and evenings and plan social stuff on Fridays

I try hard to switch off on Saturdays as Sunday is typically a full work day since assignments tend to be due on Monday. It doesn’t always happen, but I try very hard to keep Saturdays free to just hang out at home with my wife. So that means I try and plan social stuff on Fridays so we both can participate.
  • Sleep eight hours, meditate, eat healthy and exercise

Being disciplined about the rest of my life has meant I haven’t really had to compromise on this. There have been times when I’ve slept less than I’d like. But all in all, I’ve tried to keep a normal routine, including blogging every morning of course :)
  • Optimize for energy

There were, of course, many lousy days when I felt really low on energy. On these days, I generally aimed to go to sleep as early as possible and do less during the day. My productivity is generally twice the normal amount on good energy days. And I generally optimized for this.
So what does this all mean in terms of time spent?
I thought I’d show what all of these notes looked like in action. I’ve written about this a few times, but aside from just recording meetings, I generally record productive time on my calendar. If I’ve spent 90 minutes studying but felt like I did 60 minutes of  productive work, I generally store that on my calendar. At the end of the week, I add up the time spent on each priority and look at how I spent my week. It is always very illuminating. Over time, I added more nuance – e.g. tracking group time vs. solo study time, etc. As I could go on about this topic for hours, I thought I’d share two graphs and what they mean.

These two graphs show how I spent time in the year. I don’t track time spent with framily or with wife/myself. This is strictly for the “work” part of my life. It is an approach that’s added incredible value considering the time investment (roughly 30 minutes per week). I’ve continued to do this in my internship and it is among the better things I do. A few notes:

• Both graphs have the same data – the top graph is a 100% graph while the bottom is in absolute hours.
  • F1 = 1st week in the Fall quarter. W = Winter, S = Spring
  • As you can see, my internship search ended Week 6 of the winter quarter and nearly all of that time got replaced by extracurriculars (and a little bit more social – but not much more)
  • I generally get about 35 “productive” hours in a week. This number assumes meetings are productive. I try to make sure they are. But, of course, this is chainsaw art and not fine – it is granular enough to work for my purposes.
  • My academic numbers don’t include 12 hours spent in classes. I take that as a base-case.
  • As you can see, my academic hours spike around Weeks 9 and 10. I spent a lot more time studying in the fall. I took three courses (one less than the usual four-course load) in the winter – even so, I didn’t study all that much in the winter.
  • I have some more nuanced stats but won’t spend any more time on this. I geek out on this stuff, and I recognize that it isn’t for everyone.
  • I have written a lot about prioritization in school. And, hopefully, this brings those ideas to life.
Finally, since this post is all about my personal advice, I’d like to finish with three ideas I’ve found useful:

1. Spend energy and time on things you value or consider important.
The first step here is to determine which of these priorities matter to you. Academics, for example, clearly matter to me. It doesn’t for everyone. But understanding what matters to you is the first step to allocating your energy and time – your most valuable resources. Everyone who goes to a decent program will tell you that it often gets overwhelming. I think of it as preparation for life as a business leader. If you walk out of school having learned to prioritize things that matter, that’s a great lesson to learn.

2. You can’t win them all.
Business school can often feel like high school. You can easily spend hours worrying about your popularity, social standing and/or what you are missing out on (a.k.a FOMO or fear of missing out). The first step here is to acknowledge that school is the same as life – you aren’t going to get along with everyone and not everyone’s going to like you. That’s OK. Just be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

3. No one owes you anything.
It is tempting to walk in thinking that the school owes you a great experience for the fees you paid, that your group mates owe you for your selfless dedication, and so on. I think a better way to approach this is to just remind yourself that nobody owes you anything. You’re in a great environment that you can mold to suit your needs and style. That, in itself, is a great opportunity.

Like all good things, your experience is what you make of it.

Make it meaningful.

Make it count.

Rohan Rajiv is a first-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year Program. Prior to Kellogg he worked at a-connect serving clients on consulting projects across 14 countries in Europe, Asia, Australia and South America. He blogs a learning every day, including his MBA Learnings series, on www.ALearningaDay.com.

Filed under: Academics, Admissions, Student Life Tagged: Admitted Students, Advice, culture, life lesson, MBA Learnings, prospective students
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Free lunch and ping pong don’t make a culture

By Raymond Hwang

This post also appears on LinkedIn.

I never wanted to be one of those people that took pictures of their food and texted it to others. But while interning at LinkedIn this summer, I became one of them. It started slowly … a picture here to my family, a picture there to my classmates. But soon my addiction to culinary-related sharing was out of control. Everyone had to know about the sushi I ate for lunch, all playfully captioned with “did I mention it’s free?”

Such a shameless parading of perks is fun, especially when you work in technology for the summer. But when does the glossy finish of “free” begin to fade? The answer is quickly. Free lunches and ping pong alone do not create a culture — at least not a great one and not by default. I’ll give you three reasons why that’s the case.

1. Entitlement aka “I hate how used to this I am”

When I first arrived at LinkedIn, I was thrilled by the arcade games, foosball, and the quality (and quantity) of food. I laughed condescendingly when I first heard someone say to me “the lunch today is terrible.” I swore those words would never come from my mouth. After all, who complains about free lunch? Well, the answer is me. I complain about free lunch. As of last week after a “below-average” lunch, I have officially joined the entitled club. Unfortunately, the norm, no matter how wonderful, quickly becomes ordinary. For better or worse that’s human nature, and if you expect the perks alone to cause you to skip joyfully to work each morning, you’re in for an unpleasant surprise.

2. Perk escalation aka “Everyone else is doing it”

The thing about the tech industry is that top companies are in a constant battle for top talent. As such, when one firm begins offering a perk, pressure is immediately placed on others to offer something similar in order to maintain parity and continue to attract the best people. Maybe those free yoga lessons means the company is dedicated to your wellness, or maybe it’s just that they’re trying to keep pace.

3. Presence vs. presents aka “Let’s buy him an iPhone and call it a day”

As a kid I was lucky to have wonderfully caring parents. But I had friends whose parents were largely absent and to compensate they would buy their kids the coolest toys. I was jealous at the time but looking back I was quite fortunate. From what I’ve seen in parenting, presence matters much more than presents. A similar principle holds true here. I have friends and classmates who are interning at wonderfully sexy companies with perks aplenty who honestly hate their jobs. A great sushi station can only go so far in making your 14-hour day and crappy team bearable.

So if not perks, what makes a good culture? Well perhaps it’s best to first take a step back and define “culture.” I love Jellyvision Founder Harry Gottlieb’s definition of culture as “the sum of all interactions between employees and customers.” In short, culture is a byproduct of consistent behavior from every member of the firm. In LinkedIn’s words, it’s “the collective personality of an organization,” and like people, that personality can be vicious, caring, exciting, and so on.

So what is it like at LinkedIn?

All of this brings me to my summer at LinkedIn. The perks are aplenty here — just ask my parents and annoyed friends. But while I’m beyond thankful for the many perks that surround me, what I’ve enjoyed most, and what I believe truly sets this company apart, is a culture that is compellingly authentic and joyfully modeled by the employees of this company.

Here at LinkedIn we have a codified culture statement and a set of values. While those can be empty words in other organizations, it works here because senior leadership didn’t sit in a board room, define our culture, and then announce it from a stage. The culture and values of the company were defined bottoms up, then incentivized against, hired against and fired against. Leadership is committed to our culture, models it day in and day out, and the vast majority of the employees I’ve worked with do as well.

Personally, relationships matter came to life for me when this summer my family went through a difficult season and my manager, director, and HR all worked together to give me time off and make sure I prioritized family. Our members come first proved to be more than a platitude when in several meetings I saw leaders decide not to move forward with an additional monetization option because it would hurt the user experience. Take intelligent risks was displayed when one of my projects as an intern was presented, operationalized, and launched in less than two months. The wonderful thing is, there are plenty more examples I could give.

Culture is either reinforced each day or eroded each day. Each small, seemingly minor, individual act adds up to a much greater whole that becomes a company’s culture. Perhaps that’s why act like an owner is also one of our values. Each day, every employee can act like a founder and decide to grow a spectacular culture or simply take without giving.

My encouragement to those seeking new opportunities in the near-future is to find a place where culture is not lip-service; a place where you not only enjoy the culture, but can imagine enthusiastically helping to grow it; a place not just about perks but about people. In my opinion, that’s what truly matters most in the end.

P.S. Please don’t take free lunch and ping pong away.

Learn more about Kellogg’s Two-Year MBA program.

Raymong Hwang is currently a second-year student in Kellogg’s Two-Year MBA Program. While at LinkedIn he is interning on the Product Marketing team. At Kellogg he is a leader in both the Marketing Club and High Tech Club. Prior to Kellogg, Raymond worked at General Mills in a cross-functional rotational program.

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: culture, internship, summer internship, Two-Year MBA Program
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: KWEST: A truly ‘amazing’ experience

By Kyle Burr

Nearly 1,000 participants. Five continents. More than 40 countries.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to KWEST.

KWEST – Kellogg Worldwide Experience and Service Trip – is an institution among Kellogg MBA students. Each year more than 85% of the school’s incoming class and their significant others (referred to as “Joint Ventures” or “JVs”) embark on a weeklong adventure to countries all over the world. This year’s KWEST kicks off in less than a week, with students departing to a variety of destinations, from China and Portugal to Argentina and the Galapagos Islands, and many places in between.

Each trip consists of 20 incoming students and JVs, and is usually led by five rising second-year students. As per its namesake, KWEST participants not only spend the week building friendships with their new classmates, but also dedicate part of their time to community service activities in the countries they visit.

Designed to build camaraderie prior to the upcoming fall academic quarter, KWEST is often the first impression of Kellogg for incoming students, and frequently results in the formation of lasting friendships that persevere long beyond their time in Evanston.

By tradition, participants are asked not to share any personal information revealing:

• Their hometown
  • Their undergraduate alma mater
  • Their work history prior to Kellogg
  • The city they most recently lived in
While this can make conversation a bit more challenging, the intent is to foster deeper, more meaningful dialogue. Toward the end of the trip, each person is asked to share this information during the “Big Reveal” – a highlight of the week that often leads to a number of surprises and shocking revelations!

In addition to providing a vast array of exotic locales, the portfolio of KWEST trips is intended to provide the style of travel and leisure (or lack thereof) that suits the needs and interests of everyone.

As an incoming student last year, I had the opportunity to participate in what is likely the most polarizing of all trips – KWEST Amazing Race! Simultaneously the most coveted and intentionally evaded of the options available, this trip attracts a certain kind of individual that is spontaneous, comfortable with an extreme amount of ambiguity and willing to place their full trust in the hands of a few similarly adventurous strangers.

Inspired by the eponymous hit TV series, “KWEST AR” participants are at the complete whim of their second-year student leaders. We had absolutely no idea where we were headed on a day-by-day basis – including our initial destination!

Once we arrived in a city, we were split into five teams of four students, each led by a second-year leader. Just like the television show, we were given a series of clues, with each leading to a different site in that particular city or we received a team challenge to be solved on the spot. Without the aid of Internet devices, teams relied on [hopefully] friendly locals that [with any luck] spoke English and could correctly point us in the right direction. Each “race” typically lasted three to four hours and could cover more than 10 miles on foot!

The next day, we got up, traveled to a new city – often in a new country – and did the whole thing all over again! Last year took us to Bucharest, Romania; Sofia, Bulgaria; Istanbul, Turkey; and Antalya, Turkey.

While it is surely an unorthodox way to see the world, it is unquestionably an unforgettable experience. Which is why I am leading it this year! Stay tuned in the coming weeks when I will reveal the details of this year’s trip after we return to the US.

Other “special trips” include:

• KWEST Mystery – Similar to Amazing Race (but without the race part), participants are not told their destination country until they arrive. Typically more “off-the-beaten path” locales, last year’s destinations were Fiji and Samoa.
  • KWEST Top Chef – Introduced for the first time in 2015, participants will compete in a series of competitive cooking activities while immersing themselves in local cuisine. This year’s destination is Peru!
  • Tour de KWEST – A storied tradition, participants spend the week cycling across a country! Last year’s group went to the Netherlands, and this year’s group is headed to France.
  • Hiking Excursions – Some trips place a strong emphasis on outdoor activities, and this year two trips have incorporated some serious mountain terrain into their itineraries. One group is heading to the Bavarian Alps, while another will be trekking in Switzerland.
  • Short Trips – Intended for individuals with conflicts on either end of the normal KWEST schedule, these trips either leave on Monday or return on Friday to accommodate extenuating circumstances.
  • KWEST Chicago – For those unable or uninterested in traveling internationally and looking to fully immerse themselves in their new surroundings!
  • KWEST Family – Designed for incoming students with children, this trip usually heads to a nearby destination in Wisconsin or Michigan for family-friendly activities and vacationing.
As I mentioned above, community service is an important part of the KWEST experience. The students on KWEST Jordan, for example, will be volunteering in a Syrian refugee camp and school, while the Tour de KWEST participants will help restore a historic reservoir in the Loire Valley.

For thousands of current and former students and JVs, KWEST was a foundational part of their Kellogg experience – and an adventure most will never forget. More than just a “last hoorah” before hitting the books in September, it is often the beginning of a journey that will continue after they’ve left Evanston behind.

Trip leaders play an integral role in this process by cultivating the right group dynamic, dealing with unforeseen circumstances, and ensuring that all goes smoothly during the week. However, in most cases their influence extends far beyond the KWEST week itself. KWEST leaders often form the underlying fabric of Kellogg’s informal peer-to-peer mentoring network, serving as advisors and role models to first-year students long into the school year.

In that spirit, I look forward to meeting the next cadre of KWEST Amazing Racers and continuing the legacy of my own leaders and many before them.

Kyle Burr is a member of the 10-person, student-run KWEST Executive Committee. Prior to Kellogg, he was a management consultant working for governments, non-profits and social enterprises in Washington, D.C., Swaziland and Uganda. This summer he interned as an Associate Brand Manager with the Kraft Heinz Company outside Chicago.

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: Kellogg Worldwide Experience and Service Trip, kwest, service
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What I learned at the BCG Northeast Women’s Conference

Amanda McCarthy, left, with fellow Kellogg student and BCG intern Kate Mann.

By Amanda McCarthy

As part of my summer internship with the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), I recently attended BCG’s 2015 Northeast Women’s Initiative Conference in NYC. The day was geared specifically toward associates, consultants and women like me who are spending a summer interning with the firm.

The morning kicked off with an amazing presentation by Dr. Heidi Grant Halvorson on the benefits of a “Get Better” mindset. Citing research study after study to a room full of data lovers (myself included), Halvorson explained why we should all avoid a “Be Good” mindset – one where we are constantly attempting to prove ourselves and outperform others. Instead, we should embrace a “Get Better” mindset, where we always perceive ourselves as having more to learn. This allows us to embrace risk and be less afraid of failure, a key to professional success.

One of the points Halvorson made that stuck with me the most was that bright women are more likely to have a “Be Good” mindset. That made me really take time to think about whether I embrace a “Get Better” mindset, and if I don’t, how it could negatively affect my own career journey.

It was really inspiring to have the day to step away from work, to learn, reflect and share thoughts with hundreds of other career-driven women at the firm who, like me, are still at a relatively early stage of their careers.

Kate Mann, a fellow Kellogg student and summer consultant with BCG, echoed my thoughts when she described her reaction to the event:

“What I appreciated most about the conference was that it was tailored for women specifically at the associate / consultant levels,” Mann said. “The panels and Q&A were focused on topics that impact and interest those of us still in the earlier stages of our careers, and made for a much more relevant day of learning than a one-size-fits all conference.

“I thought the networking and post-internship panels led by more senior consultants, though not tailored specifically to women, were really strengthened by the opportunity to meet, network and learn with women at our same level from around the Northeast.”

BCG is one example, but it’s nice to know that many employers where Kellogg students plan to work are investing in the development of women — and diversity more broadly — at their firms. All in all it was a great day, and I look forward to talking more about it with my fellow Kellogg students when I get back to campus in a few weeks!

Amanda McCarthy is a rising second-year student in Kellogg’s Full-Time Two-Year MBA program. She serves as a Director of Marketing for the WBA. Prior to Kellogg, Amanda worked in media and marketing research in NYC, and spent this past summer at Boston Consulting Group’s NYC office.

Filed under: Business Insight, Student Life Tagged: BCG, Consulting, internship, life lessons, summer internship, WBA, Women's Business Association
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q32 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q39 V37
GPA: 3.23
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In for R2!

Looking forward to meeting some Kellogg folks tomorrow at the admission event in Houston.
Director
Director
Send PM