Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Cambridge Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Sustainability, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Cambridge Thread Master
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request - 28, Canadian [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Solarus wrote:
Hi Jon,

Thanks a lot for the reply! That's reassuring. My dream schools are Oxford and Cambridge, especially Cambridge since they have a focus on Energy and Sustainability. Based on your reply it seems to be the case, but do you feel these dreams are realistic if I crush the GMAT? I realize that there's not a whole lot I can do about my GPA unfortunately, but I'm trying to do everything possible to make the rest of my profile look appealing.

I feel that uniquely, the UK schools like applicants that are a little older and more experienced also. Do you think it would be a good idea to reapply next year if I were to be unsuccessful at these schools (plus use this time to get a higher GMAT)? Or should I just settle for somewhere else if I'm unsuccessful? It seems like reapplications are always a tricky business from school to school.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply!

Hey,
Well crush the GMAT and then let's worry about it!
:)

Any reason you aren't applying to good US energy programs like at Haas and McCombs? I think you could totally add both to your list.

As for next year, I think it's a bit early for that. But I would start by suggesting you add 2-3 more schools to your list at least to make sure there is NO next year.

Best,
Jon
Cambridge Thread Master
Send PM
Profile evaluation request - 28, Canadian [#permalink]
I plan to! I'm gunning for 720-730 on the GMAT. As a rough estimate, since the class average GMATs at the European schools are 680 and 690 respectively, I figure going 40-50 points higher than their average (roughly their 80th percentile range) in combination with my difficult degree and very high upswing in marks during my senior year will be enough to swing them.

I appreciate the vote of confidence on Haas and McCombs! I actually had Haas on my shortlist, but I figured that the GPA would be too much of a dealbreaker at that school. It does seem like it would be a really good fit for me, but if I wanted to score 770+ on the GMAT, I would likely need additional study and practice time, which would put me past the first and maybe even 2nd round deadlines. 3rd round would not be a good round for me to apply based on the major weakness I would need to overcome in my application.

Once I write my GMAT, everything will become a lot clearer. I may use your expertise to help with applications since from your (and several others), it seems to be something that could really make or break my application chances. I'll PM you when the time comes if things are on track.

Thanks again for the help! It's great to know that dreaming big is still possible for me. I'm willing to put in the time and work since this is a big dream of mine, it's just a matter of seeing how the cards fall.
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request - 28, Canadian [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Solarus wrote:
I plan to! I'm gunning for 720-730 on the GMAT. As a rough estimate, since the class average GMATs at the European schools are 680 and 690 respectively, I figure going 40-50 points higher than their average (roughly their 80th percentile range) in combination with my difficult degree and very high upswing in marks during my senior year will be enough to swing them.

I appreciate the vote of confidence on Haas and McCombs! I actually had Haas on my shortlist, but I figured that the GPA would be too much of a dealbreaker at that school. It does seem like it would be a really good fit for me, but if I wanted to score 770+ on the GMAT, I would likely need additional study and practice time, which would put me past the first and maybe even 2nd round deadlines. 3rd round would not be a good round for me to apply based on the major weakness I would need to overcome in my application.

Once I write my GMAT, everything will become a lot clearer. I may use your expertise to help with applications since from your (and several others), it seems to be something that could really make or break my application chances. I'll PM you when the time comes if things are on track.

Thanks again for the help! It's great to know that dreaming big is still possible for me. I'm willing to put in the time and work since this is a big dream of mine, it's just a matter of seeing how the cards fall.

Hey dude, you don't need a 770. A 720-730 would be convincing enough. Once you pass that threshold, they become a lot more interested in WHO you are than wanting another 20 points on the GMAT. What you DO need is a good story a lot passion, and to work to convince them that despite the GPA, you are a fantastic candidate.

Anyhow, first things first... good luck, and drop me a line when you know your score.

Best,
Jon
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts