Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [141]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [19]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [11]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [6]
Given Kudos: 1169
GPA: 3.2
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Shielding, looks like modify the previous clause.
But it is not a cause and effect, it looks wrong modifying entire thing, .
shileding must refer to melting ice. so option A and B wrong.
so shielded is correct in this usage.
here parallesim shielded from and safe from is correct.
so D wrong.
In between C and E , due to vs because of.
Because of prefered more than due to.
Because of must follow noun or noun phrase. in Option E is correct
But if we look meaning wise, due to used for caused by it means, shileded from caused by climatic changing condition.
Even though Option E looks correct grammatically, Option C wins by meaning.

So option C is correct.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Glacier and ice patch archaeologists face extreme challenges to find, [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
IMO, parallelism, idiom usage and pronoun ambiguity are the main issues here. The underlined portion with the parallelism marker ‘and” lacks symmetry with a participle phrase on the left and an adjectival phrase on the right. There should be another patricipial phrase on the right side too. Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect. Dump A, C and E. In addition in A, the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts.

Between B and D, the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. Further, B uses the dubious pronoun “them”.

One might now construe the correct choice.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [2]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
IMO, parallelism, idiom usage and pronoun ambiguity are the main issues here. The underlined portion with the parallelism marker ‘and” lacks symmetry with a participle phrase on the left and an adjectival phrase on the right. There should be another patricipial phrase on the right side too. Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect. Dump A, C and E. In addition in A, the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts.

Between B and D, the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. Further, B uses the dubious pronoun “them”.

Hi,
Although you have been associated with Kaplan and been in this field for some time, and so you should be on the correct lines, i have few observations..
1)Any choice containing ““and safe” is incorrect.... agreed..
2) the pronoun ‘them” is ambiguous without required clarity whether it refers to archeologists or the artifacts. ... agreed 'them ' is ambiguous but them is already used in non underlined portion and 'them' is referring to the same thing on every occasion as the structure of sentence states ... so B cannot be eliminated on this ground..
3) the correct idiom to use will be ‘due to” since the decay is caused by climatic changes and B can be dropped. As per various other institutes and few examples in OG, 'due to' should be preceded by 'to be' verb. so here because of should be correct

shielding ... and saving.. are basically effects of the melting ice fails to keep them undetected
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
daagh wrote:

Hi daagh, i think , logically them has only 1 antecedent imo, which is artifacts ,logically . it doesn't make sense 'them' referring to archaeologists. Even D has pronoun them in the choice. pls clarify
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
chetan
Hi
Thank you for your instant response. On the points, which seem to have some disagreement-

1, Admittedly, the pronoun ‘them’ is vulnerable to ambiguity in the underlined portion. Well, that should be sufficient cause to dump it, even though in an another place, the same pronoun may mean definitely the artifacts. The idea on the D-day is to quickly reach the correct choice, rather than getting stuck unduly on some factor; but more importantly, the ambiguity was only an additional point.

Coming to the use of idiom, it is my perception that ‘due to’ is used to modify a noun, ‘the decay’ as in this case and it rightly replaces the idiom “caused by”

IMO, ‘because of’ is used when a verb precedes it and therefore, the idiom modifies the verb. In the context, there is only a decay that is due to or caused by climatic conditions; Let me keep my fingers crossed until the OA is out; In any case, since you seem to have different ideas, may I have privilege of asking you what your call is
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31890 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
chetan
Hi
Thank you for your instant response. On the points, which seem to have some disagreement-

1, Admittedly, the pronoun ‘them’ is vulnerable to ambiguity in the underlined portion. Well, that should be sufficient cause to dump it, even though in an another place, the same pronoun may mean definitely the artifacts. The idea on the D-day is to quickly reach the correct choice, rather than getting stuck unduly on some factor; but more importantly, the ambiguity was only an additional point.

Coming to the use of idiom, it is my perception that ‘due to’ is used to modify a noun, ‘the decay’ as in this case and it rightly replaces the idiom “caused by”

IMO, ‘because of’ is used when a verb precedes it and therefore, the idiom modifies the verb. In the context, there is only a decay that is due to or caused by climatic conditions; Let me keep my fingers crossed until the OA is out; In any case, since you seem to have different ideas, may I have privilege of asking you what your call is

Hi daagh,
we both have homed on to two final choices as B and D..
I have gone with B for following reasons..
a) I think 'them is correctly referring back to artifacts as artifacts are the object here and archeologists are the subject here and 'them' should be referring to object, when we have two nouns to refer to and the meaning conveys to that end.
b) shielding ... and saving.. are basically effects of the melting ice fails to keep them undetected, so both shielding and saving should be parallel, which is missing in D..
c) D omits them in one clause but keeps it in the second part, so it is not following parallelism.
d) i believe decay is due to changing climatic conditions would have been correct..

But again as you have said, we all have our own perceptions depending on the experiences with the type of Qs we have had earlier. and with so much of material floating around, difficult to home on to something that has not been clearly spelt out by the official GMAC. lets wait for OA. if otherwise, it will teach a new thing.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
12Sums
This discussion is getting more interesting; In D, you do have ‘ them” but it is not vulnerable to ambiguity, as it is pointless to think that it may refer to saving architects from misappropriation. The question of vulnerability is there in B' only in the first underlined pronoun and not in the second. At least that is what my perception is since I believe, the choice can be dumped more importantly for using a wrong idiom ‘because of’. Have I made myself clear?
But still, why don’t you post your choice also to make the topic more revealing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
12Sums
This discussion is getting more interesting; In D, you do have ‘ them” but it is not vulnerable to ambiguity, as it is pointless to think that it may refer to saving architects from misappropriation. The question of vulnerability is there in B' only in the first underlined pronoun and not in the second. At least that is what my perception is since I believe, the choice can be dumped more importantly for using a wrong idiom ‘because of’. Have I made myself clear?
But still, why don’t you post your choice also to make the topic more revealing

hi daagh,

i do agree that due to is appropriate here. so not going with B. i am also going with D. But I didn't understand how you rejected B because of 'them' :(

its intense now. battle between two heavyweights (chetan and daagh) :-D

after reading the question again, cant the parallelism be in this way...

fails to keep them undetected ............ and (fails to keep them) safe .... ?? :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Option C. Melting ice fails to keep them undetected..sheilded...and safe... are parallel. Due to changing...is correct as changing climate condition is cause.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q51 V39
GRE 1: Q790 V650
GPA: 3.76
WE:Other (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM