Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 546
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 03-18-2015
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Hey!
In for Round 1 for sure.
Thanks
Celestial

Narenn wrote:
Reserved Post
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all UWA-Foster Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Dear Applicants,

We are excited to announce that GMAT Club and UW Foster Admissions Team will be jointly conducting Live Q&A sessions for Foster applicants. There will be 3 such sessions in this application season in which Megan Lewis - Associate Director of MBA Admissions at Foster (Washington) will dialogue with prospective applicants in GMAT Club Chat Room and answer their questions about admission process. We are also trying to include current Foster students in these chats. Event dates are as follows.

• August 04, 2015. 8 AM Pacific Time
  • October 01, 2015. 8 AM Pacific Time
  • November 03, 2015. 8 AM Pacific Time

Visit this thread to view complete schedule of Live Q&A sessions for 2015-16. live-q-a-with-b-school-adcoms-2015-season-174827.html
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
The first session of UW Foster Live Q&A series is happening today in which Megan Lewis - Associate Director of MBA Admissions at Foster- will chat with prospective applicants and answer their questions about Foster's MBA program. So save the event in your Google calendar and be in the chat room at 8 AM Pacific Time with your questions.

Join GMAT Club Chat Room to attend this session

August 04, 2015. 8 AM Pacific Time
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Narenn wrote:
The first session of UW Foster Live Q&A series is happening today in which Megan Lewis - Associate Director of MBA Admissions at Foster- will chat with prospective applicants and answer their questions about Foster's MBA program. So save the event in your Google calendar and be in the chat room at 8 AM Pacific Time with your questions.

Join GMAT Club Chat Room to attend this session

August 04, 2015. 8 AM Pacific Time

Hello Guys,

We had to cancel above chat as Foster adcom could not attend it due to some unforeseen circumstances. She has tendered her apology. I am quoting here the message she passed for those who were in chat session.

MeganLewis wrote:
Dearest prospective Foster students,

Please accept my sincere apology for not arriving at the chat session to provide you with answers to your questions as I had promised. I regret that I was unable to connect with you. I hope you will join Foster’s next GMAT Club session on October 1. If you have inquiries that require more immediate attention, I welcome your email correspondence at lewismr@uw.edu.
- Megan Lewis, Associate Director of MBA Admissions at UW Foster

There are two more chat sessions scheduled with Foster team which will take place on their scheduled dates. (Check schedule here) We regret the inconvenience caused to applicants due to cancellation and assure that Foster team will answer all your questions in upcoming chat session.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: Making an Impact: Sustainability Resources at Foster
Interested in using your MBA experience to be a force for social good? It’s my pleasure to introduce this guest post by Phoebe Lipkis (Class of 2016), our 2015-2016 Net Impact Club President. She’s a truly inspired leader and an amazing classmate. This is her guide on all the resources available to Foster MBA students who are interested in maximizing their social impact.

The Pacific Northwest is a hotbed of social entrepreneurs, environmentalists, outdoor enthusiasts, and do-gooders. New Foster students looking to use their MBAs for social or environmental good will find an abundance of resources at their fingertips. Here’s a guide to make it easier for you to navigate these resources and create new opportunities.

Net Impact Club Resources
The mission of the Net Impact Club is to inspire, educate, and equip individuals to use the power of business to create a more socially and environmentally sustainable world.

• The Net Impact Conference is the leading forum for students and professionals who want to tackle the world’s toughest social and environmental problems. Autumn
  • Net Impact Case Competition: This competition, held by the University of Colorado Boulder, is the premier Net Impact case competition. Applications are typically due in late November and the final round in Colorado occurs in January or February. Autumn/Winter
  • Net Impact Service Corps: The chapter hosts Service Corps projects during the winter quarter that connect teams of Foster students to local non profits looking for management consulting expertise. Each team gets an advisor from a management consulting firm (Deloitte, McKinsey, etc.) and they work with organizations that have been identified and vetted by local organization, Social Venture Partners. Winter
  • Ongoing Net Impact events, tours, meetings, and symposia. Join the Net Impact Club to get announcements! Autumn/Winter/Spring
Foster Resources
  • Foster’s core sustainability class is “Cases in Sustainability” with Professor Elizabeth Stearns, and is typically offered in the Winter quarter. An “Impact Entrepreneurship” course was offered recently as well, and may return! For additional class offerings, look below at UW Resources.
  • The Applied Strategy Project is a core curriculum requirement that first years do during the second quarter. Students get to choose to do consulting projects for various companies, and there are usually opportunities to help non-profits or local companies do social good. Winter -The Board Fellows Program places MBA and MPA students as non-voting board members of local nonprofit organizations. Autumn/Winter/Spring
  • The Burke Center for Entrepreneurship offers tons of resources for MBA students, including the Entrepreneurship Certificate. One of the coolest things they do is give stipends to students who wish to work with non-profits over the summer through the Social Entrepreneurship Summer Fellowship program.
  • The Environmental Innovation Challenge is a fun, cross-disciplinary challenge that brings together students from across UW schools to innovate and help solve some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Autumn/Winter
  • The Foster D-Prize is a competition for those who want to launch a new social enterprise in the developing world. Each team needs to have at least one Foster MBA student! Winter
  • In your second year, the Global Consulting Project offers students with an interest in international business and social impact to get overseas experience. The students get to work on the ground in India with Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) – a well-respected organization in India that supports women’s businesses. Autumn/Winter
  • Other clubs with overlapping missions include the Healthcare and Biotech Club and the Outdoor and Sports Industry Club.
University of Washington Resources
  • Non Profit Management Certificate (in partnership with the Evans School of Public Affairs)
  • Environmental Management Certificate (in partnership with the Program on the Environment)
  • Check out class listings at the Evans School, School of Public Health, School of Social Work, School of the Environment, or other schools at UW. Full-time MBA students can take up to 4 classes (16 credits) outside of Foster. Talk to second years to find out which classes offer the most value.
  • UW Office of Sustainability has tons of university-wide information, including course lists and a mailing list.
  • Check out UW’s very own farm that sources to its own farm-to-table restaurant, Cultivate, and runs an annual Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) program from June to October.
Community Resources
Seattle has TONS of people, organizations, and resources for people interested in social impact. Here are just a few to fuel your search:

Most importantly, make sure that you are pursuing opportunities that are meaningful for you and your career. Find something that interests you and go for it. Good luck!

Let’s hear from you – what other resources would you recommend?

About the Author:

Phoebe Lipkis is delighted to be back in school after 8 years in nonprofit leadership roles in New York, London, Minneapolis, Louisville, and Los Angeles. At Foster, she is focused on leveraging economics, organizational behavior, strategy, and leadership for social and environmental change. Most recently she worked with public utilities in Los Angeles to create a shared plan for stormwater management for the region. As the Director of Development for an anti-violence organization, she led major strategic planning, change initiatives, and fundraising campaigns. Phoebe grew up in Los Angeles, and received her BA in Psychology from UC Santa Cruz.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: The Venture Capital (VC) Fellowship – How two MBA students are connecting Foster MBAs and the Seattle VC community

Meet Ken Horenstein and Rob Skatrud, two first-year MBA students who are partnering with the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship to start a Venture Capital Fellowship for future Foster MBA students. They met through the Venture Capital and Investment Competition class at UW, which prepares students to compete in the global competition. UW won the Silicon Valley region and placed second in the in world in 2015!

Tell me a little about your background and where you guys want to go after the MBA?
Ken Horenstein: Before the MBA program I was working in finance in the Bay Area for almost 3 years, and Chicago before that. When I was in the bay, I did a Startup Weekend on a whim. Literally signed up that week and did it that weekend. I remember having this moment after the first night of Startup Weekend. It was 11 pm and I was walking home, and had to call and wake up my dad to tell him that this is what I was going to do for the rest of my life. I want to work in small companies, and try to figure out problems in a new way…compared to the old finance paradigm where everything’s solved, and you just need to plug in the numbers and figure it out. So after that day I tried to decide how I was going to facilitate this transition, and that’s when Foster and the MBA sort of presented itself. This great entrepreneurial ecosystem brought me back up to the northwest.

Rob Skatrud: Before school, I worked for a couple of high-growth software companies. After doing that for 8 years, I realized that I had been working really hard to make other people a lot of money, and like Ken I wanted to go back to something a little earlier stage. So for me, coming back to the MBA was a way to network around Seattle’s entrepreneurial environment, and take a step back and find the right fit for me.

How did you guys get to know each other?
Rob: I think we met each other through the Venture Capital and Investment Competition (VCIC) class that was in addition to our core requirements in the Fall. It just happened to be on Thursday nights, so we would wander over to Pub Club right after. I’d say through that we got to know each other pretty well.

Ken: We weren’t on the same team in that class, but since there were only a few first year students in there, we tended to huddle together.

Tell me the problem that you guys are trying to solve? What gave you the idea?
Rob: The one thing that I wanted out of my MBA experience was seeing the deal side of startups. I was deciding between UT-Austin and Foster, and UT has a program called the Venture Fellows. They select a few of the first year students and get them project work with VC firms, Private Equity firms, and Angel investors, so that the students can get first-hand, tangible experience in that space. But I feel that Foster has this great community, too. It’s in the middle of Seattle, which has such a great ecosystem. A lot of the Seattle VCs are already on campus, and we have great relationships with them through the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship. It seemed that there was a huge opportunity to combine all the different pieces of the puzzle.

Ken: Rob was the one who initially broached the idea and brought up this UT program. So the more that I started to look into that, the more that I thought that it was really viable to do something similar here. It’s funny because neither of us said that we wanted to get into venture capital…both of us want to go on the company side. However, when you become an entrepreneur, you have to know both sides. In addition to the company side, you also have to understand what the investment market wants, and how they invest. Through the VCIC, we were able to meet a lot of people in the area, including prominent angel investors and VCs, and they’re all here on campus. We kept hearing this story that you’re not going to get a job in VC right out of school. We asked ourselves: “if we can’t change this in the immediate future, then what needs to be done in the long term, and what things can we start now that could enable that down the road?” We’re not saying that this program is supposed to get students jobs in VC, rather it’s specifically focused on getting exposure to how the VC industry works and opening those networking doors. We are focusing on what we can we do right now that could remove these barriers and open doors for future students.

Tell me about the VC Fellowship. What will students get out of this? What’s your vision for the future?
Ken: We’ve recruited a pretty great board, and we’re going to reach out to our first set of VCs to describe the program and the different projects that we can do. This fall, we are going to interview and recruit our first class of 3-5 first-year students. They’ll need to complete additional classes like the VCIC course, which is a great intro to what VCs look for and also a great opportunity for initial networking. After getting a strong foundation in the fall quarter, they’ll be placed with a VC for 3-6 months for an opportunity to work on things like market sizing or valuation projects. These projects might be more mundane to a VC, but would be an incredible experience for a first-year MBA to see. They’ll get to see the process first hand and learn how they make decisions.

Rob: To build on the importance of experience, I’ve been doing a self-sourced project this quarter, and it’s been very beneficial. I probably got my internship this summer because I was able to speak to the experience that I got through this project. We see this as a way to get students this experience in their first year, so when they go out and start interviewing for jobs or their summer internships, they’ll already have this experience under their belt.

Ken: It’s very much an educational opportunity, a way to get experiential learning by working on extended projects. The Buerk Center has been tremendous in supporting us and giving us ideas. It’s been important for us to work together with them because there’s so many different programs on campus right now and we don’t want to overlap.

How has the response been with the VCs so far?
Rob: We’ve received really positive responses from the VCs that we’ve talked to so far. At first, Ken and I were really focused on figuring out what the value added is for the VCs. A handful of VCs that I spoke to down in Austin kind of laughed at that. They told us that “you guys are a bunch of MBAs from a top institution, you’re asking for pennies on the dollar to come work…what do you mean by value add?”

What do you hope to get out of this, in terms of your career goals?
Ken: I think for me, this is just like a startup. We started with nothing, just this concept. We verified it with people on both sides of the equation, and confirmed that there is value to all the people involved. And then we had to find the right team that was going to execute on this vision. It’s been a tangible experience, to see what it’s like to start something new, and to get it off the ground and work with all the stakeholders. But we are also thinking about how we want to remember our time at Foster. In 10 years, it would be incredible to look back and know that this Venture Capital Fellowship is in place because we were willing to start it. We were willing to find all these people who shared the same passions, and we were able to put our sweat and work into it and build something that improved the Foster community.

Rob: To take that thought one step further…for me, the benefit is raising the profile of the Foster MBA. I think having this in place is really going to pull a different kind of candidate towards this program, and 5-10 years from now, people are going to look at the brand on both of our resumes and recognize the value that we bring to the table.

How can we help?
Ken: First, we love spreading the idea and talking to people about it, so if they want to get a hold of us we’d love to talk. We would also love opportunities in the corporate venture capital as well. That would increase the types of experiences this program could offer and increase the draw to the student fellows. We want this to be something that any student from any background and any skillset can see this as an opportunity to learn something, no matter what their end goal is.

Rob: I would also like the readers to know that we have a great list of contacts, but we don’t know everyone that could be of benefit to the program. If this fellowship sounds interesting to you, please reach out to Ken or me. We would love to have a conversation.

Ken: We’re also planning on organizing monthly networking and training events. We would love to talk with anyone who’s willing to share insight into life/work as a VC. Whether it’s an informal chat over lunch, or over a glass of wine, that’ll help us open those doors for our fellows.

Thank you so much for your time, I’d love to follow up with you guys in the Winter and see how you are doing.
Rob: Oh, we will be in the weeds this Fall for sure.

] Rob Skatrud, Class of 2016

] Kenneth Horenstein, Class of 2016

For more on the Venture Capital Fellowship, contact Rob Skatrud via LinkedIn or Ken Horenstein via LinkedIn. Learn more about Foster entrepreneurship at the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship here and the Graduate Entrepreneurship program here.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Does anyone have solid intel on career paths for Foster grads? Are there Seattle consulting opportunities or do they recruit elsewhere and import the talent to Seattle? Boutique, lifestyle oriented marketing firms? Easy to hook up with start ups? Does REI every hire MBAs? I do not want to be a middle manager at Amazon or Microsoft. I do want to be in Seattle and will likely get into schools in the 7 to 15 range. Not from Seattle but do have connections there.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Foster Admissions Blog: The 2015 UW Business Plan Competition: Co-chair perspective
Last year, I had the pleasure of serving as one of the two MBA co-chairs for the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship’s annual Business Plan/New Venture Competition. This was a priceless experience, and I highly recommend it to anyone considering working in an early-stage startup or starting a new venture.

Follow your Passion
“Just follow your passion.”

That’s the career advice I’ve heard countless times. Follow your dreams, and the rest will come. If you do what you love, you’ll never work a day in your life. When I was in the Air Force, I thought about life on the outside and imagined how great it would be to be your own boss, to be in control of your own destiny. I devoured stories about people starting their own companies, and learned how veterans can be amazing entrepreneurs.

Trouble is, I didn’t know what I was passionate about. I didn’t have one singular problem that I wanted to solve. So I was hoping that a full-time MBA would help me find that problem, and lead me on the path toward becoming the next great entrepreneur. I dove headfirst into the Seattle entrepreneurship community, and went to all the events that I could find through the University of Washington’s Buerk Center for Entrepreneurship.

That’s when I got involved with the UW Business Plan Competition. And it would change my life forever.

The Business Plan Competition (BPC)
Every year for the last 18 years, teams of student entrepreneurs from all over the state of Washington have gathered in Seattle to follow their passion with the UW Business Plan/New Venture Competition (BPC). They compete for the chance to win seed money for their new venture, to get their business off of the ground. Throughout the competition, they receive coaching and valuable feedback from some of the top entrepreneurs and mentors in the Seattle area. They are introduced to a network of potential co-founders and investors. But most importantly, they get to experience what it’s like to take the entrepreneurial leap. They get to experience jumping out of a plane and assembling the parachute on the way down…in addition to managing their progress toward a college degree.

I didn’t have anything that I wanted to jump out of an airplane for, so I dove into research even before the MBA program started. What kinds of problems would an ex-Air Force engineer be uniquely suited to solve? It was like being a solution in search of a problem.

I grappled with this issue for several months until a classmate approached me about being a co-chair for the BPC. The two MBA co-chairs help the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship prepare, organize, promote, and run the entire BPC process. In exchange, I’d get face-time with many of Seattle’s entrepreneurs, attend all the events, and get an inside look into the judging process. The downside is that I wouldn’t be able to compete in the competition this year.

It was only November, still a long time until the BPC actually started in the following Spring Quarter. That’s plenty of time to get that business idea and build a team, or to join another team as their business expert. But then I thought about the value of being on ‘the inside’ and about all the people I would be able to meet, and decided that being a co-chair would put me in a great position to compete the following year. So I applied, interviewed, and was lucky enough to be offered one of the two co-chair positions.

The 2015 BPC in full swing
The Fall and Winter quarters went quickly. Amy (the BPC program manager), Rosalinda (the other MBA co-chair), and I worked tirelessly to promote the BPC and organize networking events. As a result, we had a record 103 student teams apply when the applications opened in the Spring quarter.

Out of the 103 applications, 37 business ideas were selected to move to the Investment Round. The Investment Round was the first in-person event of the competition, where each team gives pitches in a tradeshow environment. Each judge had a limited amount of points to invest on each venture, and the 16 teams with the most points would move on. For me, this is when the BPC felt real, and I got to see firsthand the level of enthusiasm and energy that each student team had for their idea. It was really inspiring.

After the Investment Round, the top 16 teams were selected to move onto the Coaching Round. From here on, the teams have 15 minutes to present a pitch deck to a small group of coaches and mentors. It was invaluable to hear some teams pitch and observe the feedback that the coaches had for the teams. In these meetings, I saw how truly great coaches and mentors provide constructive criticism and feedback.

The Sweet 16 Round and Final Round were a blur. The 16 student teams from the Coaching Round each pitched in the morning, and by the afternoon only 4 teams remained for the Final Round. Once again, it was remarkable to see the quality of feedback that the teams received, and I was amazed by the depth of discussion that the entrepreneur judges had in evaluating each team.

The student teams were also truly inspiring. Each team pitched their idea with a level of conviction and confidence that I had never seen before. These were truly multi-million dollar ideas, with the right teams to make them happen. Some teams already had traction: ranging from kickstarter campaigns, sales contracts, all the way to six-figure grant awards.

The Dinner and Awards Ceremony
The Awards Ceremony was held immediately after the Final Round at the scenic Bell Harbor Conference Center, just steps from Seattle’s iconic waterfront. Finally, the winning teams would be revealed, and $77,500 in prize funding would be handed out. Seattle restauranteur Linda Derschang (and founder of The Derschang Group) gave a spectacular keynote and described her entrepreneurial journey.

I sat with a team of student entrepreneurs who failed to advance to the Final Round, but had shown up because they were eligible for other prizes. I spoke at length with one of their members, a young lady who had been working with this BPC team for the past year. She talked about how many businesses she helped start, even as a child. She described all the success and traction that her BPC team is experiencing, and how she’s planning on pursuing this venture full-time after graduation. She talked about how her team was going to make a difference. I saw that inner fire that you need to commit to a life of entrepreneurship. I realized that all the student teams that I spoke to shared that same desire…and I didn’t.

I knew then that I don’t have ‘it.’ I felt like the floor had disappeared from underneath me, and I suddenly saw a chapter of my life ending. It felt like the end of a journey that I set on when I decided to leave the Air Force. I just found out if I had what it takes to be an entrepreneur.

Turns out, I don’t. At least not right now.

So what next?
Co-chairing the BPC was enlightening. I met and worked with some amazing people, saw how great entrepreneurs think, and learned how they evaluate opportunities. I was able to scratch an itch that I’ve had for some time, and start a new chapter in my life. While it’s sad to see something end, this feels right for now.

But who knows? There’s always next year’s competition!

About the Author

Nelson Tang, Class of 2016, is an 8-year Air Force Veteran who is now focusing on marketing and brand/product management. Find out more about Nelson at www.nelsontang.com. For more on the Buerk Center of Entrepreneurship and the UW Business Plan Competition, click here!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM