Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [0]
Given Kudos: 567
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [1]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2588 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tepper-CMU Applicants(2016 Intake) Class of 2018 [#permalink]
kinjiGC wrote:
Just a update guys !!

Mini 1 is making our life difficult with lots of tough assignments. At the same time, corporate presentations of companies have started and we need to prepare for companies as well, doing our research and asking for "fit" with the companies.

Tepper clubs are just awesome. We have very active clubs and organizations both for making the 1st year ready for companies and for fun !!. We have party almost every week and #FOMO (Fear of missing out) is quite strong.

2nd years are super helpful and very accommodative.

But inspite of all these things - Loving #TepperLife and #CMU

Don't miss Tepper adcom in India and talk to them to understand unique things about Tepper.

All the best for R1 and keep the queries coming :) :)

Hello Kinjal sir,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences at Tepper. It is surely helping a lot to understand more about the school :-D Can you please tell about what all courses you are currently finding interesting there and what courses you are looking forward to take and profs with whom you are looking forward to interact with. Also, can you share any instance where you found the integration of Leadership skills with analytics ( the real theme of Tepper)

Thanks,
Sourabh
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
sourabhsur123 wrote:
kinjiGC wrote:
Just a update guys !!

Mini 1 is making our life difficult with lots of tough assignments. At the same time, corporate presentations of companies have started and we need to prepare for companies as well, doing our research and asking for "fit" with the companies.

Tepper clubs are just awesome. We have very active clubs and organizations both for making the 1st year ready for companies and for fun !!. We have party almost every week and #FOMO (Fear of missing out) is quite strong.

Don't miss Tepper adcom in India and talk to them to understand unique things about Tepper.

Hello Kinjal sir,

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences at Tepper. It is surely helping a lot to understand more about the school :-D Can you please tell about what all courses you are currently finding interesting there and what courses you are looking forward to take and profs with whom you are looking forward to interact with. Also, can you share any instance where you found the integration of Leadership skills with analytics ( the real theme of Tepper)

Thanks,
Sourabh

First of all, please don't call me sir :)

Mini 1 and Mini2 have mandatory courses and you can't choose. Mini3 onwards you can have electives.

Tepper has quite a lot of weightage on Analytics and we have Probability and stats (probability is 5% and 95% is stats - which is completely hardcore) which is building the foundation for your analytics courses. So, cannot neglect Quant. Even if you neglect, Tepper has extra classes which would make sure that you "come to speed fast".

Till now, I am more focused on surviving the assignments and finding out the tracks which excites me.

Leadership : From Day 1, Tepper will stress on Leadership. There is Accelerate Leadership center which is dedicated to build leadership aspects in your profile. We have Interpersonal communication subject which builds those concepts by role playing and grades are completely dependent on those exercises. So, every classes will have a role play and you need to perform.

Apart from that, we have dedicated communication coaches and Leadership coaches with whom you can have an appointments and discuss your growth plan.

So Analytics + Leadership -> is the theme and from Day 1 , you will realize that in Tepper.

I hope I have answered your query. All the best for R1.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
sourabhsur123 wrote:

US banks will never give Indians or for that matter any international candidate loans until and unless you have a credible co-signer. It is just against their policy. However, if you make it to the schools which provide without co-signer loans then you will definitely get the loans, irrespective of which country you are from. These loans are given out by schools for the benefit of the candidates they choose , so if you get selected then you are automatically eligible and these schools are generally the reputed ones. Hope this clear your doubts.

To answer this, I have an aunt who is a US citizen now (Originally Indian) and she works as a Wealth manager. I was discussing this with her, and she said that US Banks are happier to lend to Indians, because Indians have a lower default rate compared to other countries. This is because usually Indian students have family backing them, which is not the case, usually, for Americans. The banks are not ALLOWED to lend to Indians without a co-signor in US, hence they can't. But any other union or something liek Prodigy Finance is happy to lend money to Indians, because Indians usually have clear goals and will work their a$$ off to repay the loans.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Send PM
kinjiGC wrote:
Just a update guys !!

Hey Kinjal,
Thanks for these insights. I am sure Mini 1 is super hectic, so really appreciate you dropping by here and updating us. Have a fun time and hoping to join you next year!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I hope re-applicants noticed that the prompts for the essays have changed slightly in wording since last year. For Essay 1, the prompt now says how has the defining moment shaped you "professionally", as against the how has it shaped you as a "person" last year.
Essay 2 no longer talks about fit, but gives more detail on what it wants, in terms of how you will contribute to Tepper and how Tepper will help you.

Also, for the two goals questions, the limit has changed from 1500 characters to 150 words each.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Guys, What would you say about Tepper's strength in Tech product develiopment Vs consulting? I think there is no consulting track at Tepper but the recruitment data for consulting is still strong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
To me, the recruitment data is everything. A school can claim it has 100 specialized tracks and then have none end up being useful.

If the employment data is strong, it means it is recognized by the industries. An MBA is a job-focused degree, so picking the correct indicator/metric is important. And in this case, trust what you see.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Thanks, but recruitment data is also driven by how many people are pursuing that career as well as the pre-MBA background. Therefore I think recruitment data alone does not provide the deep insight on possible strengths of a school...

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
That is an excellent point, I can agree with it.

I just think that, if you are talking about the "holy grails" for most MBA's....regardless where they are, consulting, finance, and high tech are probably the most sought after career choices, so the demand of those jobs are always higher than the supply, hence the schools' employment stats are highly representative of their ability to help students get into those fields. I think it would be nice to have a survey on "first choice vs. actual career" for better understanding of this.
Director
Director
Send PM