Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [6]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [6]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [3]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31886 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
anurag7mukharya wrote:
Henrikh lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to
work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bicycle to work. If it takes him exactly
10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bicycle, then x equals

○○ 4
○○ 7
○○ 10
○○ 15
○○ 20

Hi
The best way would be...
Per km, he takes 40 secs extra if he walks
So he will take 10 mins or 10*60 secs in 10*60/40 =15 km

D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per bloc [#permalink]
Kudos
siriusvj wrote:
Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bike to work. It is takes him exactly 10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bike to work, then x equals?

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

The key point to tackle the problem is to convert Time / second into a single unit.
For example, if we convert the figures in seconds, the equation could be 60x - 20x = 600.

Alternatively, if converting in minutes, we get-
x - (1/3)x = 10
or, (2/3)x = 10
or, x = 15.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
siriusvj wrote:
Youseff lives x blocks from his office. It takes him 1 minute per block to walk to work and 20 seconds per block to ride his bike to work. It is takes him exactly 10 minutes more to walk to work than to ride his bike to work, then x equals?

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

oa is d

I have solved it, by using backsolving but i tried one other method please tell me where am i wrong. I am not reasoning in minutes but in seconds and the result it is not the same
X/60-X/20 = 600

Solved this by converting to block per second measures. So it's 1 block per 60 seconds (Rate1) and 1 block per 20 seconds (Rate2). Solving for time it's x over 1/60 = 60x and x over 1/20=20x.

Time1 - Time2 or 60x - 20x=600; (the 600 derived from 10minutes converted to seconds)
40x=600/40;
x=15.

Answer is D.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6271 [1]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
siriusvj wrote:

a.4
b.7
c.10
d.15
e.20

We are given that Youseff lives x blocks from work. He can walk to work at a rate of 1 block per minute; thus, it takes him (1)(x) = x minutes to walk to work. We are also given that he can bike to work at a rate of 20 seconds per block or 20/60 = 1/3 minute per block; thus it takes him(1/3)x minutes to bike to work. Since it takes him 10 more minutes to walk to work than it does to ride, we can create the following equation to determine x:

x = (1/3)x + 10

3x = x + 30

2x = 30

x = 15

Answer: D
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Given:

Number of blocks between the office and home = \(x\)

Time taken to walk 1 block = 1 minute

Time taken to walk to the office from home = 1 minute * \(x = x\) minutes

Time taken to cover 1 block by riding bicycle = 20 seconds = \(\frac{20}{60}\) minute = \(\frac{1}{3}\) minute

Time taken to ride a bicycle to the office from home = \(\frac{1}{3}\) * \(x =\) \(\frac{x}{3}\) minutes

The difference in the time taken to walk to the office and ride a bicycle to office = (\(x\) - \(\frac{x}{3}\)) minutes = 10 minutes

\(\frac{2x}{3}\) minutes = 10 minutes

\(x = 15\)

The correct answer is D
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Send PM
Expert Reply
siriusvj wrote:

A. 4
B. 7
C. 10
D. 15
E. 20

We can just Plug In The Answers (PITA). I like trying B and D.

B:
7 blocks.
1 minute per block to walk means 7 minutes to walk.
It can't take 10 minutes longer to walk if it doesn't even take 10 minutes to walk. B is out.

D: 15 blocks.
1 minute per block to walk means 15 minutes to walk.
20 seconds per block to bike means 5 minutes to bike.
That's a difference of 10 minutes. Yay!!

Answer choice D.

ThatDudeKnowsPITA
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts