Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:51 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618591 [70]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 647 [37]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [31]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: There is a 50% chance Jen will visit Chile this year, while there is a [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
There is a 50% chance Jen will visit Chile this year, while there is a 25% chance that she will visit Madagascar this year. What is the probability that Jen will visit either Chile or Madagascar this year, but NOT both?[/b]

A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 62.5%
D. 63.5%
E. 75%

\(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{4}*2\)=\(\frac{1}{2}\)..
B
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [3]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: There is a 50% chance Jen will visit Chile this year, while there is a [#permalink]
Kudos
The thing to note in the question is she would not be visiting both.

Thus p(Chile)*(1-p(Madagascar))+p(Madagascar)*(1-p(Chile))
which is
(1/2*3/4) + (1/4*1/2),
3/8*1/8=1/2
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [6]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.26
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
1 - (the probability of choosing neither) - (probability of choosing both)

Probability of choosing neither = 1/2 * 3/4 = 3/8
Probability of choosing both = 1/2 * 1/4 = 1/8

1 - 3/8 - 1/8 = 4/8 or 1/2

B
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618591 [5]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
There is a 50% chance Jen will visit Chile this year, while there is a 25% chance that she will visit Madagascar this year. What is the probability that Jen will visit either Chile or Madagascar this year, but NOT both?[/b]

A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 62.5%
D. 63.5%
E. 75%

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Putting aside her peculiar travel schedule for a moment, (visiting Western South America and South East Africa without stopping by the Falklands?) what is the probability that Jen travels to one of these locales but not the other? Dutifully applying our memorized probability formula: the probability of visiting Chile is 0.5, and the probability of visiting Madagascar is 0.25, we get 0.5 + 0.25 – (0.5*0.25) or 0.75 – 0.125 = 0.625. Or answer choice C. (As Admiral Ackbar tried to warn us in 1983: It’s a Trap!)

But why doesn’t the formula yield the correct choice? The answer lies in the question stem. This particular question asks us the probability of visiting Chile or Madagascar, but not both. The formula gives us the probability of visiting either, implicitly allowing the choice of visiting both. The probability of visiting either will indeed be 62.5% (or 5/8), but this is the probability of visiting Chile, Madagascar, or both. Verifying the converse, the probability of visiting neither is P(¬Chile) and P(¬Madagascar), or 0.5 * 0.75 = 0.375 (or 3/8), confirming that our 0.625 is merely the probability of not staying home this year.

The obvious question now is: Why doesn’t the formula work? Didn’t the formula already account for the possibility of both? How do I solve this question correctly? (Admittedly, these are three questions and not one). The key to answering all of them is the same, though. Let’s go through the logic of the formula P(C) + P(M) – P(C&M):

The first argument allows for all possibilities of visiting Chile, regardless of what happens with Madagascar.

The second argument allows for all possibilities of visiting Madagascar, regardless of what happens with Chile (or the Falklands)

The third argument is the possibility of both occurring.

The formula works because P(C) accounts for the both choice, and P(M) accounts for the both choice as well, indicating that this option has been double counted. In order to count it only once, we need to remove one instance of it. This is why the formula works and is popular; it addresses the inherent problem in probability, double counting certain situations. The same logic applies to Venn diagrams and other similar question types where counting the same argument twice (or thrice) can occur.

In practice, this question could then be solved using the default formula of P(C) + P(M) – P(C&M) and then subtracting P(C&M) again… or simply P(C) + P(M) – 2*P(C&M). Simply put, the first two arguments in the formula account for the “both” possibility twice, so we must remove it twice to answer the question at hand.
A somewhat similar yet more straight forward alternative is to go bottom up instead of top down. The probability of going only to Chile is P(C) * P(¬M) = 0.5 * 0.75 = 0.375. The probability of going only to Madagascar is P(M) * P(¬C) = 0.25 * 0.5 = 0.125. Adding those two probabilities together yields the correct answer of 0.5 or 50%. The revised formula also yields this result (0.5 + 0.25 – 2 (0.125) = 0.5), so we can feel confident in our answer choice and not any of the other tempting answer choices.

The answer is (B).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Kudos
I have a question about the P(A or B) formula.

So does this mean that by using the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) we are not subtracting the overlap to get the "pure" "A or B and not A and B at the same time" but rather we are simply correcting a mathematical error that otherwise would have occurred if we didn't subtract the overlap of "A and B" to get "A or B"?

Another observation is that in quotidian language when we say "A or B" we mean "or A, or B, but not both". eg: "I will have wine or beer" so here I want to say that I will have beer or wine, but not both. So I am implicitly excluding the possibility of having both.

However in the context of probability, I would have to be more explicit if wanted to say "A or B, but not both"

So by simply saying "A or B" in the context of math, we are still leaving in the possibility of having both A and B in contrast of saying the same thing in the quotidian language. To completely eliminate the possibility of "A and B" happening, we would have to first make the correct mathematical calculation by P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) to get the "A or B and maybe both" expression and then subtract the overlap ones again to actually remove it for good and get the "isolated" "A or B but not both".

Am I correct here? And it seems that after so many years I finally understood the meaning of the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) formula...

Another question: is the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) and "At least one" so 1- P(of what we want to happen not happening) the exact same thing?

Thank you!

Originally posted by iliavko on 19 Jun 2016, 06:24.
Last edited by iliavko on 19 Jun 2016, 06:54, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [2]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
There are 4 total possibilities: (M,C) ; (M) ;(C) ;(No visit to any of two). Now Jen visiting M or C but not both is possible in only 2 of the 4 scenario. So the chances are 50%.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [4]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
iliavko wrote:
I have a question about the P(A or B) formula.

So does this mean that by using the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) we are not subtracting the overlap to get the "pure" "A or B and not A and B at the same time" but rather we are simply correcting a mathematical error that otherwise would have occurred if we didn't subtract the overlap of "A and B" to get "A or B"?

Another observation is that in quotidian language when we say "A or B" we mean "or A, or B, but not both". eg: "I will have wine or beer" so here I want to say that I will have beer or wine, but not both. So I am implicitly excluding the possibility of having both.

However in the context of probability, I would have to be more explicit if wanted to say "A or B, but not both"

So by simply saying "A or B" in the context of math, we are still leaving in the possibility of having both A and B in contrast of saying the same thing in the quotidian language. To completely eliminate the possibility of "A and B" happening, we would have to first make the correct mathematical calculation by P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) to get the "A or B and maybe both" expression and then subtract the overlap ones again to actually remove it for good and get the "isolated" "A or B but not both".

Am I correct here? And it seems that after so many years I finally understood the meaning of the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) formula...

Another question: is the P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B) and "At least one" so 1- P(of what we want to happen not happening) the exact same thing?

Thank you!

Hi,

Remember that the OVERLAP is part of both P(A) and P(B)....
so for removing the repetition, we subtract P(A and B) once...

this gives us P(A) or P(B)... ofcourse this will include the overlap..

when you have to completely remove the overlap..
remove it from P(A) and P(B)
so P(A) - P(A and B) + P(B) - P(A and B) = P(A) + P(B) - 2P(A and B).....
so our answer becomes P(A) + P(B) - 2P(A and B) = \(0.5+0.25 - 2(0.5*0.25) = 0.75 - 2(0.125) = 0.75 - 0.25 = 0.5\)... or 50%

Hope it helps you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Chetan,

Thank you so much for the clarification! I was confused with the meaning of the formula..

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools: Booth '21 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.48
Send PM
kunal555 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. 25%
B. 50%
C. 62.5%
D. 63.5%
E. 75%

Our desired probability would be
(Probability of visiting Chile) * (Probability of not visiting Madagascar) + (Probability of not visiting Chile) * (Probability of visiting Madagascar)
= \(\frac{1}{2}*\frac{3}{4} + \frac{1}{2}*\frac{1}{4}\) \(=\frac{4}{8}\) \(=\frac{1}{2}\)
= 50 %

Answer:-B

This explanation really made sense for me!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [3]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos