Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Gnpth wrote:
FROM GNPTH: I have been screwed up so many times in life. And it’s not gonna stop me!!
Yes, I have been screwed up. Not the first time though. After a long preparation, I scored a 680(Q47, V34). I was literally shocked to see that score. I took a break for 2 days to completely forget about it. I have decided to give it one final shot, hoping to reach the elusive 740+ Score!!. Since I want to put a solid application, I will be retaking the GMAT and apply for Round-2 application cycle.

I asked to bb(GMAT Club Founder), my fellow moderators Gmat Club & my family. They really motivated me. The words and encouragement from them gave me needed charge/boost to give it final shot. But this time, I’m gonna give it all and see what it takes to reach the elusive score. I have put a plan and no matter what, I’m going to stick to it.

It’s an intense 40 days plan before my last & final GMAT(November 2nd week). Materials to prepare are hard to come by as i almost finished everything. Since, the basics are still fresh in my mind, i will be just concentrating on my weakness and practicing to improve them. I have got the ESR, and analyzed where I need to concentrate more. And I will be working towards to it in these 40 days.

First of with the Quant, I need to increase the Q47 to Q50 and then maintain that level while I prepare to improve my verbal from V34 to V42 or V 44. I believe it will work, and I believe I can reach.

This is my first post after a long time. There have been so many changes in life and work. Lot of work related foreign trips and Lot of fight within myself to pursue the dream and many more. I hope to see failure behind me; and I hope to see perseverance and success ahead of me!!

Finally, I wish luck for all my fellow applicants who are applying for R1 and I wish luck for all those who are taking/retaking GMAT to get their target score and target schools.

Until next time,

GNPTH.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB

Are you sure that you mentioned your correct score because I appeared for GMAT last week and scored 670 (Q47, V35). How did you get a score of 680 when we both scored same in quant and my verbal score in 1 point higher. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
Gnpth wrote:
FROM GNPTH: I have been screwed up so many times in life. And it’s not gonna stop me!!
Yes, I have been screwed up. Not the first time though. After a long preparation, I scored a 680(Q47, V34). I was literally shocked to see that score. I took a break for 2 days to completely forget about it. I have decided to give it one final shot, hoping to reach the elusive 740+ Score!!. Since I want to put a solid application, I will be retaking the GMAT and apply for Round-2 application cycle.

I asked to bb(GMAT Club Founder), my fellow moderators Gmat Club & my family. They really motivated me. The words and encouragement from them gave me needed charge/boost to give it final shot. But this time, I’m gonna give it all and see what it takes to reach the elusive score. I have put a plan and no matter what, I’m going to stick to it.

It’s an intense 40 days plan before my last & final GMAT(November 2nd week). Materials to prepare are hard to come by as i almost finished everything. Since, the basics are still fresh in my mind, i will be just concentrating on my weakness and practicing to improve them. I have got the ESR, and analyzed where I need to concentrate more. And I will be working towards to it in these 40 days.

First of with the Quant, I need to increase the Q47 to Q50 and then maintain that level while I prepare to improve my verbal from V34 to V42 or V 44. I believe it will work, and I believe I can reach.

This is my first post after a long time. There have been so many changes in life and work. Lot of work related foreign trips and Lot of fight within myself to pursue the dream and many more. I hope to see failure behind me; and I hope to see perseverance and success ahead of me!!

Finally, I wish luck for all my fellow applicants who are applying for R1 and I wish luck for all those who are taking/retaking GMAT to get their target score and target schools.

Until next time,

GNPTH.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB

Are you sure that you mentioned your correct score because I appeared for GMAT last week and scored 670 (Q47, V35). How did you get a score of 680 when we both scored same in quant and my verbal score in 1 point higher. :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: Where is my Piccolo?

When I was growing up, I read a story about a piccolo player. A master orchestra conductor came to town and he decided to practice with the largest orchestra in town. There were about 50 different members in the team, which included only one piccolo player. Right in the middle of the second practice session, the piccolo player decided to stop playing. He simply left the tiny instrument in his mouth and pretended he was still playing. The piccolo was the smallest instrument in the orchestra, and the player felt he was insignificant in the middle of the big drums, trumpets, tuba, and violins.

Three beats after he stopped playing, the master conductor brought the music to a halt and yelled, “Where is my piccolo!!?” The piccolo player raised his hand timidly and the conductor asked him, “Why did you stop playing?” The piccolo player answered, “I felt my instrument was small, and that I would not be missed.”

The conductor replied, “You are the most important player in this team. That is why you are in the front row. You determine when the whole group is going to transpose to the next key. Without you, our music will be bland, and that is why your notes are an octave higher than everyone else’ notes.”

You see, the piccolo player thought he was insignificant, but the master conductor who had being leading orchestra for over 50 years thought otherwise.

What does this have to do with MBA? I know this is not a music blog.

In the second week of September, 2015, I finally started the Executive MBA program at London Business School. We had our orientation at the London Campus where lectures started. One of the first lectures we had was Executive Leadership, which exposed us to the 360-degree feedback and the NEO personality inventory. My strengths and weaknesses were laid bare in front of me. It was an eye-opening, and scary moment when I saw my major weakness. This was something I had taken for granted for a long time.

In the process of completing the assignment that followed, I truly had a long period of deep self reflection, and I saw clearly how I had led my life with this weakness. I saw how many opportunities I had let slip because of this weakness. I tried to imagine what my life could have been if I had tackled this weakness, at least, five years ago. I had written a lot of essays in my journey towards getting admission to business school, but this was something I never thought of, and this was something none of my referees told me.

I came to understand that the little things we take for granted often shaped our lives in the long run. Nobody tells us and we keep living and thinking we are doing our best. Many of the people around me have often wondered what exactly I wanted to do with an MBA at this stage of my career. The driver who dropped me off at the airport even asked me if I was going for the degree because I wanted a promotion. My response to everyone who asked me was that I have a dream and I know there are things about me I am not aware of that may stop me, or slow me down, from achieving this dream. It became quite clear after the first week at school.

I have spent only one week at school and I feel as if I have already received knowledge worth 25% of my tuition. I can only imagine how the remaining 19 weeks are going to be.

Thank you so much London Business School. I have found my Piccolo.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
FROM The MBA Journey of an African Doctor: First Day at School
On September 6, 2015, I started my MBA journey at London Business School. I took some pictures on my way from the airport to school, and uploaded them on my Twitter timeline. The link below aggregated all the tweets in one place on Storify.

https://storify.com/knightofdelta/firstdayatschool-emba

Due to the workload at school, I have come to discover that my social media life has come to a virtual standstill. I guess this is the best way to keep up… through a set of tweet.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [2]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA For Tech: Kellogg interview
Ok, this is my post, but I have already updated AboutResearchand Test Scores pages, I want to start by reflecting on my journey so far and bringing you up to date.

So far my status is as follows:

So, Kellogg was my the first school to interview me,

Interviewer: Adcom

Duration: 45 minutes

Questions:

Why that undergrad school?

Why Kellogg?

Why MBA?

Why now?

Your most significant achievement at work?

Why you changed your job?

Is there anything else about yourself you want us to know?

Overall impressions:

The interviewer was very friendly and nice and allowed me to answer all the questions in full. This was my first interview and to be honest I wasn’t as prepared as I should’ve been, two major problems I’ve encountered: time limit, really 45 minutes is not enough and she had to intervene a few times, because I was taking way too much time; the other problem was the last question, for some reasong I couldn’t answer it perfectly and mumbled a bit.

I hope my application as a whole gives a better impression, and it also includes video answers that I tackled fairly successful.

Anyways, I am relieved and waiting for December to receive the results.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Send PM
FROM MBA For Tech: MIT Sloan first invites
Deadline for Round 1 MIT Sloan applications was on September 17, 2015 and today they started sending out invitations, seems like they are sticking to their last year approach of inviting most of U.S. based students in first wave and International students in the second wave. Most students were a bit discouraged by such a long wait, longest in last three years:

Event

R1 Deadline
Sep 17, Thu
Sep 23, Tue
Sep 24, Tue

First invites
Oct 20, Tue
Oct 20, Mon
Oct 25, Fri

Final invites
?
Nov 7, Fri
Nov 15, Fri

It’s worth noting that invites are sent in 2-3 large batches, here’s a quote from GMAT club for 2014 and 2013 process:

helloschool:

Monday Oct 20, 2014: first invites

Tue-Friday Oct 21-24, 2014: almost silence

Monday 27, 2014: large # of invites sent out

Tue-Friday Oct 28-31: some invites

Wed Nov 5,2014: another large #of invites sent out (most international applicants got invites in this batch)

Friday Nov 7, 2014: some invites and ding/waitlist notifications

Friday Oct 25,2013: first invites

Monday-Friday Oct 28- Nov 1 2013: large # of invites sent throughout the week

Monday-Thursday Nov 4-7 2013: complete silence

Friday Nov 8 2013: some invites

Friday Nov 15 2013: some invites and ding/waitlist notifications

So don’t panic, there is plenty of time to receive an invite and even if you don’t, remember that your world will not end without MBA: did you know that Jack Ma was rejected by Harvard 10 times?

And also, remember that Sloan asks for another essay to be prepared by invited applicants, here it is:

A second, short-answer question will be asked only of those invited to interview:

The mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world and to generate ideas that advance management practice. Please share with us something about your past that aligns with this mission. (250 words or fewer).

– See more here.

Good luck and don’t lose your drive!

If you want to keep updated or vent, join gmatclub’s MIT Sloan thread or chat.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA For Tech: Bloomberg Businessweek 2015 ranking analysis
Ok, a disclaimer: I really like it! Do I agree with it? No. Do I love the fact that they actually tried to address the problems they had? Yes.

Before we start:

Bloomberg BW 2015 ranking

I’m really interested in rankings and the fact that I scored most popular MBA rankings on the first day of this blog should say a lot about that.

As I have written just a few days ago their methodology was really bad, I assigned a score of 2/10 to it and recommended to stay away. No more!

I think there is no point in discussing changes in rankings of schools, because no school in top-25 has the same rank they had last year and that’s not because the schools changed, but because of the methodology.

Methodology

Well, this is the source reason for all of other changes, the methodology is substantially different from the old one, which was as follows:

Student survey (45%), Employer survey (45%), Research (10%)

Quoting my main points against it:

“Another ranking I don’t use, as I wrote before, research has nothing to do with the quality of Business school and 45% weight to graduating students? Seems like there might be some bias going on.

Any school that invests more time and money to “experience” will get a higher place than rigorous programs, that might explain how Duke Fuqua came before M7 + Tuck. It’s important to remember that students that get into Fuqua are different from those in HBS in terms of expectations, hence it is easier to satisfy them, while HBS students might consider getting into MBB and not PE/VC a fail (many of them come from MBB already).”

That didn’t even touch on every problem with the methodology, but overall correctly reflected my unwillingness to spend time using/discussing/thinking about Bloomberg BW ranking.

New one is much better: it incorporated the best points from other methodologies, but stayed true to BW survey based nature:

Employer Survey (35%), Alumni Survey (30%), Student Survey (15%), Job Placement Rate (10%), Starting Salary (10%).

Employer Survey (35%) decreased from 50%, but seems the approach didn’t. What I think is missing is ’employers rating’! Probably, the employers themselves should be ranked as some are more demanding than others, an MBB has higher expectations than a regional advisory, in former you compete with the cream of the crop and the latter is more diverse in terms of ability of employees, hence it’s easier to shine there. Maybe the students should be asked to rank their employer among direct competitors? I mean, some thought should be given to this, there are a lot of opportunities for improvement.

Student Survey went from 45% to 15% and, as expected, Duke fell down and HBS got higher, actually they swapped places, from 1th to 8th and vice versa. Funnily, these are the exact two schools I discussed in my blog a few days ago!

They added Alumni survey and gave it a considerable weight, after 2 happy years at their school, people lose the euphoria and are better able to assess the role the school has played in their professional lives. Still, different people have different expectations, Chicago is placed 29th and I’d like to know why exactly to better understand how Alumni survey works.

Introduction of Job Placement Rate. Ok, this one I don’t like much, they say that: “We define job placement rate as the percentage of graduates who secured full-time employment within three months of graduation, out of all graduates who sought it.”  And that’s a great approach, but let’s use common sense test, let’s compare an ultra-elite HBS (ranked 35) with some 2-3 tier school from the same region, so BU Questrom (31). So, how comes? Well, I don’t know exactly, maybe HBS graduates, even the ones seeking a job, after not being able to find a high-level position they expected, just choose to continue they searches or try to start a business or just take some time off, because they can afford it? I don’t know, but it seems unlikely that HBS students are less employable than Questrom students (no offence meant), so direct comparison of two is wrong and some adjustments should be made. Probably similar to what I have proposed in Employer survey discussion above.

Starting salary is another comparison point introduced this year and honestly it’s great, they have taken into account regional and industry variance and adjusted properly (at least they say so). Actually, now that I think about it, this in combination with Alumni survey can partially act as an ’employer’ rank that I proposed above! (see ‘Adjusted’ below).

Research was dropped, a brilliant idea that doesn’t need any more discussion.

Final ranking is calculated as weighted sum divided by top school, so the top school has 100% and every other school is compared to it. Interestingly I’ve recalculated and got different results, probably they went deeper than just top level rank analysis (and that’s great, but I wish they shared their calculations), but still I like mine better:

School
BW 2015
Recalculated
Adjusted*

Harvard

Chicago

(Booth)
11**

Northwestern

(Kellogg)

MIT

(Sloan)

Pennsylvania

(Wharton)

Columbia

Stanford

Duke

(Fuqua)

UC

Berkeley (Haas)

Michigan

(Ross)
16**

Yale

Virginia

(Darden)
14*

UCLA

(Anderson)

Dartmouth

(Tuck)

Emory

(Goizueta)

*using Alumni survey and Starting salary I have adjusted Employer surver report (higher the salary higher the expectations) and Job Placement report (higher the alumni survey and salary higher the prestige of jobs).

**these schools placed lower due to low alumni survey rankings.

But that’s just a fun exercise – don’t put much though into my recalculations, as I don’t have actual survey results they have used and seems like Alumni survey results need to be reassessed. Anything that has ‘survey’ in it should be evaluated very closely and I hope they will do just that.

What I really like is that they actually update and improve their methodology and are not afraid of that.

Anyways, I think that rankings are just that – rankings, consider them in your initial research, but never make the final decisions solely based on rankings.

Useful links:

Old methodology in detail: link

New methodology in detail: link

Tagged: rankings, thoughts
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Send PM
FROM MBA For Tech: UCLA Anderson Interview
I have received the invitation almost immediately after they started sending them out, being an international student I was offered a Skype interview and a variety of dates, quite convenient to be honest. Unlike Kellogg, Anderson’s interviews are conducted by second-year students, who pass trainings before becoming a part of admissions team.

My interviewer has added me on Skype one hour prior to our interview time, which was nice, because with Kellogg I was worried, as I had been added a few minutes before the thing, making me uncomfortable.

Interview with a student feels different from an interview with an adcom member, I felt like it was more relaxed and not a ‘checklist’ we had discussed some of my points and he added his thoughts on them, which was great!

The questions were quite traditional:

• Walk me through your resume
  • Why MBA
  • Why UCLA
  • Why Now
  • Tell me a story you convinced somebody
  • Anything you want to ask?
Overall, I felt that interview went quite well, learning curve at work!

So, here’s the updated status of my applications:

Tagged: Interivew, Progress, UCLA Anderson
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [5]
Send PM
Kudos