Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [7]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 133 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: Against a backdrop of turbulent markets, [#permalink]
Expert Reply
800orDie wrote:
This question is certainly not of GMAT quality, and that an experienced instructor gets it wrong only points to the question's inferior quality. But here's my take:

B. I find that "right now" alters the meaning of the question stem by cutting out the inevitability of a subsequent increase implied by "this time". The positioning at the end of the sentence is also awkward; it could be taken to suggest that the rates are to be held urgently. I think that "the Fed right now voted 9-1 to hold rates" conveys the same meaning without the ambiguity.

C. Doesn't "by voting" imply the sort of mechanism by which the rates were held? If so, I'd say that this is an unwarranted assumption, based solely on question stem.

D. This is the original sentence as it appeared on last week's The Economist. I disagree with your nitpicking here; I think the semantic issue you raise about rates being active and not holdable, even if it were true, applies to the other choices too.

E. This choice is clearly wrong. The faux comparison to choice D in your closing paragraph is forced, in my opinion.

Appreciate the time you took to review this.

Dear 800orDie,
Very interesting. :-) I'll make a few comments.

First, the OA, (D). It's interesting that this appeared in The Economist. Their writing is usually of exceptionally high quality. This is an unusual sentence, for them: a bit more casual, a bit off in an "ear-catching" journalistic way. Perfectly understandable for a news magazine that depends on a general readership for revenue, but not quite up to the standards of the GMAT. Ultimately, any news publication, no matter how highbrow, is not going to be as sophisticated as an academic source: any news source ultimately depends on widespread popularity for its revenue, and this dependence is categorically not true for academic journals. The Economist is very good, and some sentences in that high-quality periodical could be sentences on the GMAT SC, but not all of them----it's not an automatic assumption. Also, it's perfectly understand that The Economist would refer to the US Federal Reserve as "the Fed," but this would never happen on the GMAT SC.

The "right now" in (B) could refer to immediacy and urgency, but as I read it, it could be a synonym for "this time," a somewhat more emphatic synonym.
The Fed voted 9-1 to hold rates right now.
The Fed voted 9-1 to hold rates this time.
(Either contains a strong implication that the next time would be different!)
This emphasis is a little different from the OA of (D) but it could be read into the prompt, choice (A). This is one tricky thing about starting with a correct sentence and changing it: whatever wrong choice winds up as (A) must have the exact same logical implications as the OA. I am not sure that this is case here.

As for (C), yes, "by voting" in a way implies a mechanism. I don't know whether the stem supports this implication, but in point of fact, this is exactly the mechanism by which the prime lending rate changes. The prime lending rate remains perfectly fixed until the US Federal Reserve board casts a vote, and it is precisely by voting that this rate is changed. By statute, the vote of the US Federal Reserve board is, in fact, the sole mechanism by which the prime lending rate can change. Again, whether this implication is supported by the prompt is debatable, but it is indubitably supported by the facts.

I think we agree that (E) is clearly wrong. I don't recall making any comparison of this to any other answer choice: among the answer choices, this is the only one that can be eliminated instantly. I don't know whether you appreciate the basic features of item response theory. An answer choice that is exceptionally easy to eliminate quickly does not serve the overall question quality. A truly high quality question has one unambiguously right answer, and four answer that are quite tempting even though they are unambiguously wrong. This is an incredibly lofty standard, which I sometimes hit in my own question creation. I am simply astonished by how often the official questions are at that level.

I applaud your efforts at question creation. If this becomes an exercise in refining your own thinking, so that it more closely matches the mindset of the test makers, then this endeavor would be well worthwhile.

Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts