Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Bill is 88 years old. How old is Colie? [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Engr2012 wrote:
Gnpth wrote:
Bill is 88 years old. How old is Colie?

(1) 4 years ago Colie was twice as old as Dino will be in 2 years.

(2) Bill is twice as old as Colie and Dino combined.

B=88, C=?

Per statement 1, (C-4) = 2(D+2) ---> C-2D=8 , no information on D. Not sufficient.

Per statement 2, B=2(C+D) ---> C+D=44 , no information on D or C. Not sufficeint.

Combining, you get 2 distinct equations in 2 variables and thus you will get a unique answer for age of Collie. Thus C is the correct answer.

Hi Engr2012,

While I agree with the correct answer, and how you dealt with each of the two individual Facts, the explanation that you've offered for the correct answer isn't explicitly correct (for the reason that you described). When combining the two Facts, you end up with 3 variables and 2 equations - when combined with the original equation that appears in the prompt (B = 88), then you have 3 variables with 3 unique equations, which you CAN solve.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

EMPOWERgmatRichC, thank you for your observation. You are absolutely correct. I forgot to mention the equation B=44 and this equation along with the 2 other equations in C and D, would have provided you with 3 distinct equations and 3 variables.

I did the equations mentally and thus missed this subtle aspect of the explanation. I have updated my solution in light of this observation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Send PM
Re: Bill is 88 years old. How old is Colie? [#permalink]
As per Kaplan, this is the explanation (see below). I found this to be a helpful response. The trick here is to use one to plug into the other.
-----
The correct answer is C

We want to determine the age of Colie. We are told that Bill is 88 years old. Since no other information in given in the question stem, let's look at the statements.

Let's call Colie's age c and Dino's age d. Statement (1) says that c - 4 = 2(d + 2). This equation can be rewritten c - 4 = 2d + 4, and then c = 2d + 8. This is a single linear equation with two variables. This equation cannot be solved for the value of either variable. So the value of c cannot be solved for. Statement (1) is insufficient and choices (A) and (D) can be eliminated.

Statement (2) says that 88 = 2(c + d). This is a single linear equation with two variables. This equation cannot be solved for the value of either variable. So the value of c cannot be solved for. Statement (2) is insufficient as well and choice (B) can be eliminated.

Taking the statements together we have the equations c = 2d + 8 and 88 = 2(c + d). We have two different linear equations in the variables c and d. These two equations can be solved for the values of each variable. Thus, c has a single value that can be solved for. The two statements taken together are sufficient and choice (C) is correct.
-----

Gnpth wrote:
Bill is 88 years old. How old is Colie?

(1) 4 years ago Colie was twice as old as Dino will be in 2 years.

(2) Bill is twice as old as Colie and Dino combined.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Bill is 88 years old. How old is Colie? [#permalink]
Moderator:
Math Expert
92912 posts