Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2260 [59]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [46]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [9]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Lindsay can paint 1/x of a certain room in 20 minutes. What fraction [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Quote:
Lindsay can paint 1/x of a certain room in 20 minutes. What fraction of the same room can Joseph paint in 20 minutes if the two of them can paint the room in an hour, working together at their respective rates?
A) 1/3x
B) 3x/(x – 3)
C) (x – 3)/3x
D) x/(x – 3)
E) (x – 3)/x

Great approach by bunuel.

It is also an option to plug in numbers.
If x=3 then Lindsay paints 1/3 in 20 minutes = 3/3 in 1 hour, i.e. she paints the entire room herself. Therefore x=3 should make Joseph = 0.
C and E achieves this goal
C: 3-3/3*3 = 0/9 = 0
E: 3-3/3 = 0/3 = 0

x=6 means Lindsay paints 1/6 room per 20 minuters = 3/6 = 1/2 room in 1 hour. Therefore x=6 should make Joseph paint 1/2 in 1 hour, i.e. 1/6 in 20 minutes (same work rate as Lindsay actually).
C: (6-3)/(3*6) = 3/18 = 1/6 correct
E: (6-3)/6 = 3/6 NOT correct

Answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Lindsay can paint 1/x of a certain room in 20 minutes. What fraction [#permalink]
fameatop wrote:
Lindsay can paint 1/x of a certain room in 20 minutes. What fraction of the same room can Joseph paint in 20 minutes if the two of them can paint the room in an hour, working together at their respective rates?

A) 1/3x
B) 3x/(x – 3)
C) (x – 3)/3x
D) x/(x – 3)
E) (x – 3)/x

What a great question! I got so caught up solving for the portion that Joseph completed in the hour that I completely forgot to multiply by 1/3 at the end to actually answer the question. In an effort to complete the question fast, I picked E. If I read the question one more time after doing the math, I would have gotten it correct. Lesson learned! Thank you for sharing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [9]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 700 Q46 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Let's assume that total unit of work is 1 unit
Since Lindsay paints 1/x of certain paint in 20 minutes; therefore, the efficiency of Lindsay is 1/20x
and together they complete the 1 unit of work in 60 minutes, therefore their combined efficiency is 1/60

eff(Lindsay)+eff(joseph)=1/60
i/20x + eff(joseph) = 1/60
eff(joseph) = 1/60 - 1/20x =(x-3)/60x

so joseph will complete the work in 60x/(x-3) minutes

so in 20 minutes he will complete (x-3)/60x * 20 units of work = (x-3)/3x
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6272 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
fameatop wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{3x}\)

B. \(\frac{3x}{(x – 3)}\)

C. \(\frac{(x – 3)}{3x}\)

D. \(\frac{x}{(x – 3)}\)

E. \(\frac{(x – 3)}{x}\)

We are given that Lindsay can paint 1/x of a room in 20 minutes; thus, she can paint 3/x of a room in 60 minutes (or in 1 hour). Thus, her hourly rate is 3/x room/hr. We are also given that when she works with Joseph, they can paint the entire room in 1 hour. If we let total work = 1 and j = the number of hours it takes Joseph to paint the room by himself, then Joseph’s rate = 1/j room/hr. We can create the following equation and isolate j:

work of Lindsay + work of Joseph = 1

(3/x)(1) + (1/j)(1) = 1

3/x + 1/j = 1

Multiplying the entire equation by xj, we obtain:

3j + x = xj

x = xj - 3j

x = j(x - 3)

x/(x - 3) = j

Since j = x/(x - 3) and 1/j = Joseph’s rate, then Joseph’s rate, in terms of x, is (x - 3)/x.

Since 20 minutes = 1/3 of an hour, and since work = rate x time, Joseph can complete:

[(x - 3)/x](1/3) = (x - 3)/(3x) of the job in 20 minutes.

Alternate Solution:

Since Lindsay and Joseph, working together, can paint the whole room in 1 hour, then in 20 minutes, they can paint 1/3 of the room. If we let r be the fraction of the room that Joseph can paint in 20 minutes, then it must be true that:

1/x + r = 1/3

r = 1/3 - 1/x

Using a common denominator of (3x), we obtain:

r = (x - 3)/(3x)

Answer: C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 202
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
fameatop wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{3x}\)

D. \(\frac{x}{(x – 3)}\)

E. \(\frac{(x – 3)}{x}\)

Since Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour and together they paint the whole room in 1 hour then Joseph can paint \(1-\frac{3}{x}=\frac{x-3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour --> in 20 minute or in \(\frac{1}{3}\) of an hour Joseph can paint \(\frac{x-3}{3x}\) of a room.

Answer: C.

Hi Bunuel,

Can you explain how you got 1-(3/x) I didn't get the part how you took 1.
Did you consider the total work done as 1?
I took the Total work done as X and thus got Work done by Joseph as : \(X-\frac{3}{X}\)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618811 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Expert Reply
101mba101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
fameatop wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{3x}\)

D. \(\frac{x}{(x – 3)}\)

E. \(\frac{(x – 3)}{x}\)

Since Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour and together they paint the whole room in 1 hour then Joseph can paint \(1-\frac{3}{x}=\frac{x-3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour --> in 20 minute or in \(\frac{1}{3}\) of an hour Joseph can paint \(\frac{x-3}{3x}\) of a room.

Hi Bunuel,

I took the Total work done as X and thus got Work done by Joseph as : \(X-\frac{3}{X}\)

Yes, the whole job is 1 unit.

The question says that Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour. If 3/x is confusing there, consider x to be say 6 and it will become easier to understand: Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{6}=\frac{1}{2}\) of a room in 1 hour. Together they paint the whole room in 1 hour then Joseph can paint \(1-\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\) of a room in 1 hour. In 20 minute or in \(\frac{1}{3}\) of an hour Joseph can paint \(\frac{1}{6}\) of a room.

Now, plug x = 6 into the options to see which one gives you 1/6.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 202
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
101mba101 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A. \(\frac{1}{3x}\)

D. \(\frac{x}{(x – 3)}\)

E. \(\frac{(x – 3)}{x}\)

Hi Bunuel,

Yes, the whole job is 1 unit.

The question says that Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{x}\) of a room in 1 hour. If 3/x is confusing there, consider x to be say 6 and it will become easier to understand: Lindsay can paint \(\frac{3}{6}=\frac{1}{2}\) of a room in 1 hour. Together they paint the whole room in 1 hour then Joseph can paint \(1-\frac{1}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\) of a room in 1 hour. In 20 minute or in \(\frac{1}{3}\) of an hour Joseph can paint \(\frac{1}{6}\) of a room.

Now, plug x = 6 into the options to see which one gives you 1/6.[/quote]

Thanks a lot Bunuel! I understood your method now. You make things very simple.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Assume the work to be something that is easily divisible by 20 and x => 100x

Lindsay can paint 1/x of the room in 20 minutes so it means Rate of work = 100x/20x = 5/minute (Call it RL)
Now, Lindsay and Joseph together can do the work in 60 minutes so we have => (5+RJ)*60 = 100x
From this we get RJ = (5x-15)/3 per minute

In 20 minutes Rj will do 20*(5x-15)/3

Fraction of work => (20(5x-15))/3*100x => (x-3)/3x
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts