Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [4]
Given Kudos: 140
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V44
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [3]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Hi. I am considering apply to Owen in R2. I have experience in Laws Enforcement and Inspection for the State Securities Commission of Vietnam (think SEC in US). I would like to know are there many students with the similar background in Owen class. And in the curriculum, are there any related cases that I could contribute to?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Hey tronghieu1987,

thisisonlyatest will be able to speak more fully about the background of Owen's finance students. I will let them answer.

In terms of how your background would fit at Owen, I think you'd have a great time. Actually, the core finance professor, Bill Christie, has previous work that might be right up your alley.

"By studying the operations of the major financial markets in the mid-1990s, Bill Christie, along with Paul Schultz of Notre Dame University, concluded that Nasdaq market makers were implicitly colluding to maintain artificially high trading profits at the expense of investors. His research subsequently resulted in a sweeping reform of the NASDAQ market, the introduction of the SEC Order Handling Rules, and a $1.027 billion settlement against the defendants."
https://law.vanderbilt.edu/bio/william-christie

I am sure you would really enjoy his class and many others and be able to contribute in a variety of significant ways.

~Best
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Owen(Vanderbilt) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
teleste wrote:
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Hi. I am considering apply to Owen in R2. I have experience in Laws Enforcement and Inspection for the State Securities Commission of Vietnam (think SEC in US). I would like to know are there many students with the similar background in Owen class. And in the curriculum, are there any related cases that I could contribute to?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Hey tronghieu1987,

thisisonlyatest will be able to speak more fully about the background of Owen's finance students. I will let them answer.

In terms of how your background would fit at Owen, I think you'd have a great time. Actually, the core finance professor, Bill Christie, has previous work that might be right up your alley.

"By studying the operations of the major financial markets in the mid-1990s, Bill Christie, along with Paul Schultz of Notre Dame University, concluded that Nasdaq market makers were implicitly colluding to maintain artificially high trading profits at the expense of investors. His research subsequently resulted in a sweeping reform of the NASDAQ market, the introduction of the SEC Order Handling Rules, and a $1.027 billion settlement against the defendants."
https://law.vanderbilt.edu/bio/william-christie

I am sure you would really enjoy his class and many others and be able to contribute in a variety of significant ways.

~Best

Super great, Teleste! Thanks so much! From your reference, I have kind of found an ally in the school. I definitely will look deeper at the professor's class.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
WooooooW :shock:

Thank you so much teleste !!! Too bad I can only give you 1 kudos!

I just have one more question if you don't mind... is it possible to take any elective outside Owen (in any other graduate school at Vanderbilt)?

Thanks again! Really appreciate your help!

Best,
kheown
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
kheown wrote:
I just have one more question if you don't mind... is it possible to take any elective outside Owen (in any other graduate school at Vanderbilt)?

Yes. Students frequently take classes at the law school and you can enroll in pretty much any Vanderbilt University graduate course as long as you can justify it with Academic Affairs. (And they are usually very open to new ideas and experiences that will enable Owen students to get the most out of their MBA and have a great time at Vanderbilt.)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
teleste wrote:
kheown wrote:

Yes. Students frequently take classes at the law school and you can enroll in pretty much any Vanderbilt University graduate course as long as you can justify it with Academic Affairs. (And they are usually very open to new ideas and experiences that will enable Owen students to get the most out of their MBA and have a great time at Vanderbilt.)

Thank you again for your prompt and thorough explanations teleste !!! Much appreciate it!

Best,
kheown
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 444
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.84
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Guys, One small doubt..Does Vanderbilt need transcripts to be mailed to the school before admission?

Thanks in advance!
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnnouncementLive Chats with Owen(Vanderbilt) Adcoms

We are delighted to inform you all that GMAT Club and Vanderbilt Admissions Team will be jointly conducting Live Q&A sessions for GMAT Club members applying to Owen. There will be 3 such sessions in this application season in which members from the admissions team will dialogue with prospective applicants in GMAT Club Chat Room and answer their questions about applications, essays, interviews, and life at Vanderbilt. Dates of these events are as follows.

Date: October 29, 2015.
Time: 10 AM Central Time (8 AM Pacific Time)
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room https://gmatclub.com/gchat/

Add the event to your Google Calendar

Date: December 17, 2015.

Date: January 28, 2016.

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Ralphcuisak wrote:
Guys, One small doubt..Does Vanderbilt need transcripts to be mailed to the school before admission?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Ralphcuisak,

Apologies for the delayed response. I was AFK during the Fall Break. :)

If I am not mistaken, self-reported scores should be sufficient for the Admissions Committee to make a decision. If admitted, you will then have to verify your scores and provide your transcripts.

I hope this helps!

~Best of luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Guys do we have to submit official GMAT score report by the deadline or it can reach at a later date?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student and will take loan to cover the difference between scholarship and tuition fee. In the application form Vanderbilt asks to provide the amount of money, along with the sources, that I think will be available to cover the cost of attending Owen. But as I said I plan to take loan and right now im not sure how much money will I have? What am i suppose to do in this situation? Will putting in a small amount hurt my chances of getting admission?

I will really appreciation a quick reply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
I was able to visit Vanderbilt today and do a preemptive interview ahead of turning in my app for R1 this coming week. I have to say I was extremely impressed with the students and staff and general vibe of the school. Seemed like a really tight knit and non-pretentious group. I got to sit in on a class as well and get a feel for their learning environment, very collaborative.

Also, having never been before, I have really enjoyed the city of Nashville, and the campus is in a great part of town.

Highly recommend a visit for anyone considering, as it is such a unique environment you'll probably either fall in love or decide its not for you.

Fingers crossed that I get the desired outcome with regards to my app because Vandy is certainly at the top of my list at the moment.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
Guys do we have to submit official GMAT score report by the deadline or it can reach at a later date?

Hey BrainFog,

It appears you have to submit the GMAT score by the deadline.

"You must self-report your official GMAT or GRE test score with your application and submit the official test score to Vanderbilt University at this address in order for your application to be complete. Center for Data Management, Vanderbilt University, PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37240-7833 or Caps@list.vanderbilt.edu if you would prefer to order an electronic transcript.

Your application will not be considered complete until your test scores have been verified. In cases where prior graduate study or a joint degree candidate required the GRE, or where the GRE provides additional insight, we may accept or request a GRE in place of/or in addition to the GMAT."

https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... scores.cfm

If it won't be possible for you to submit your score before the deadline you could check with the admissions office to see if some sort of accommodation is possible. (Not sure they'll be able to help, but it never hurts to try!)

In regards to your $ question, I am just not sure. If you know any other international students at B-School in the US, it might be a good question to send their way and seek out their advice.

~Best
Manager
Manager
Send PM
teleste wrote:
BrainFog wrote:

Hey BrainFog,

It appears you have to submit the GMAT score by the deadline.

"You must self-report your official GMAT or GRE test score with your application and submit the official test score to Vanderbilt University at this address in order for your application to be complete. Center for Data Management, Vanderbilt University, PMB 407833, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37240-7833 or Caps@list.vanderbilt.edu if you would prefer to order an electronic transcript.

Your application will not be considered complete until your test scores have been verified. In cases where prior graduate study or a joint degree candidate required the GRE, or where the GRE provides additional insight, we may accept or request a GRE in place of/or in addition to the GMAT."

https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... scores.cfm

If it won't be possible for you to submit your score before the deadline you could check with the admissions office to see if some sort of accommodation is possible. (Not sure they'll be able to help, but it never hurts to try!)

In regards to your $ question, I am just not sure. If you know any other international students at B-School in the US, it might be a good question to send their way and seek out their advice.

~Best

Hi teleste, thanks for your reply. I have already ordered my official score report and it has already been made available to Vandy so I guess I'm safe on that front. Now looking forward to submitting my best application by the deadline and receive a positive response. BTW any suggestions for "making an impact essay in personal or professional capacity". What exactly you think Vandy is looking for?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student and will take loan to cover the difference between scholarship and tuition fee. In the application form Vanderbilt asks to provide the amount of money, along with the sources, that I think will be available to cover the cost of attending Owen. But as I said I plan to take loan and right now im not sure how much money will I have? What am i suppose to do in this situation? Will putting in a small amount hurt my chances of getting admission?

Hello!

I emailed the adcom about a week ago asking the same. They said that we may report loans that we anticipate securing up to $75k/year (in the other tab I guess).

This has no bearing on your application. It's just a preliminary screening of your financial status and it will not be submitted to ISSS until you are admitted to Owen, accept and ISSS requests the document.

For example, I will only have my personal savings, loans and hopefully a scholarship (but I can't report any amount for this since it's just a hope) :) Just report the figures you anticipate from your own savings and loans if you think you won't get any additional funding from other sources.

Hope it helps!
kheown
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kheown wrote:
BrainFog wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hello!

I emailed the adcom about a week ago asking the same. They said that we may report loans that we anticipate securing up to $75k/year (in the other tab I guess).

This has no bearing on your application. It's just a preliminary screening of your financial status and it will not be submitted to ISSS until you are admitted to Owen, accept and ISSS requests the document.

For example, I will only have my personal savings, loans and hopefully a scholarship (but I can't report any amount for this since it's just a hope) :) Just report the figures you anticipate from your own savings and loans if you think you won't get any additional funding from other sources.

Hope it helps!
kheown

Thanks for your reply Kheown. Lets suppose I say I only have $30k in savings and I report nothing else (no expected loans, scholarships etc). Do you think it can negatively impact my application? Of course $30K nothing compared to $150k that we need for two years. But honestly as of now I'm not thinking about the financial part at all. I will worry about finances when the time comes for it to worry. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Right now I just wanna concentrate on applications but such parts of the form really give me an uneasy feeling.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'm not sure. It's not supposed to harm your chances but you should have a plan to finance your MBA and you don't get any scholarships.

If you only report $30k form your own savings and nothing else, they might ask you how you're going to get the rest of the money. However, if you report the rest of the $120k as loans, although it might be a lot of money, it's not that crazy (I think up to $100k is feasable).

Anyways, what I would do is email the adcom and ask about your particular case, but keep the loan option open. Owen's adcom is probably the most readily available and responsive I've found during my interactions with them. They've always gotten back to me within 24 hours (in fact, within 5 or 6 haha). I'm sure they will be able to provide a better insight into this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kheown wrote:
I'm not sure. It's not supposed to harm your chances but you should have a plan to finance your MBA and you don't get any scholarships.

If you only report $30k form your own savings and nothing else, they might ask you how you're going to get the rest of the money. However, if you report the rest of the $120k as loans, although it might be a lot of money, it's not that crazy (I think up to $100k is feasable).

Anyways, what I would do is email the adcom and ask about your particular case, but keep the loan option open. Owen's adcom is probably the most readily available and responsive I've found during my interactions with them. They've always gotten back to me within 24 hours (in fact, within 5 or 6 haha). I'm sure they will be able to provide a better insight into this.

That was just an example. Of course I have plan to finance my MBA. Savings, loans, and scholarships all are part of that plan. But what I was trying to say right now I don't know how much loan I'm gonna take. I'll have family support too. In addition, I'll take if needed loans from family and friends too. But right now I don't know which source will contribute how much.

I also don't wanna hurt my scholarship chances by stating I'm gonna take $100k loan you know. Anyway I have sent them an email. Hopefully I'll get a quick response.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts