Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q39 V34
GPA: 3.14
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Re: Would it be completely stupid of me if... [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bbednar wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
bbednar wrote:
Would it be completely stupid of me if i enrolled in a part time mba program simply because the admissions criteria are not as tough as the full time? It seems like it is much easier to be accepted into the best MBA programs as a part time student than a full time student.

So would it be completely insane to move to a new state, enroll in a part time program of a good school that I wouldn't be able to get into the full time program at, find a new job in that state to work at while im not in class, without any finnancial assistance from my employer? (with full intention of finding a different job after completion of the MBA program)

I realize this sounds like a crazy plan and im just looking for confirmation that this is something i should NOT do.

Thanks!

There is nothing wrong with applying to a part-time program and people do move before attending school, even for part-time programs. I would recommend doing it only if the job you get helps you progress and you can reasonably get a job before you apply.

See below for more about part-time vs. full-time programs

https://www.personalmbacoach.com/#!PartT ... ee13c8324d

Best,
Scott Edinburgh

Thanks for your reply. I guess my concern was that I thought part time programs are mainly for people who are working while going to school, whose employer is going to pay for the program, or who are trying to move up in their current company.

So would it make sense to go to a part time program if none of those conditions were true for me? like if I was not going to work at the same company? Or if I was going to pay for it myself?

Part-time programs are for people who are working, yes.
Employers do not always pay for it though.
Lastly, it is more common to stay in the same company (or type of company) after a part-time than a full-time.

One of the major differences is the on-campus recruiting that happens with part-time programs. That said, I have helped many folks get into great part-time programs and then subsequently land a nice job change. (NYU Stern part-time '14 now works at Google in a nice role for example).

I'm happy to discuss your profile in more detail and help you decide which is better for you, as all situations are somewhat different.

Best,
Scott
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, define stupid? What are your other options? What's the alternative? If you've identified why you want to go to business school, what you plan on doing after and how this school will help, I don't see any reason that your plan is crazy. Yes, part time programs typically have lower admission standards than full time programs, but that sounds like something you could use to your advantage.
GMAT Club Bot