Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [61]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [7]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: Keep the fire alive -- Trek to 760 from 610 (First Mock) ! [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you very much udaypawar for all the extra pain that you have undertaken for me.
Apologies if my statements did ever hurt you.
Please share any tips or notes regarding verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Mechmeera wrote:
Thank you very much udaypawar for all the extra pain that you have undertaken for me.
Apologies if my statements did ever hurt you.
Please share any tips or notes regarding verbal.

Nothing like that Mechmeera... Chill 8-)

I've already given few points above for improving on the verbal part. The important thing to ask is which section / subtopic you are weak at.
SC -- Subject-Verb / Verb / Pronoun / Modifier / Parallelism / Idiom / Meaning / Others ?
CR -- Assumption / Must be True / Weaken / Strengthen / Method of Reasoning / Parallel Reasoning / Evaluate etc.
RC -- Primary Purpose / The passage suggests that... / According to the author... / It can be inferred... etc.

Ask yourself which particular subtopic you are particularly weak at and which of these topics are preventing you from reaching 40.
Delve deep into the analysis of each question post mock and make your own notes regarding where to put efforts in terms of practice and where to put efforts in terms of basics revision / method development. Trust me, a clearly defined method for each of the sub topics is the surest way to reach 40.

I have few resources / notes / Mock Reviews which can be shared. PM me your details. Will share them.

Regards
Uday
Manager
Manager
Status:Final Call! Will Achieve Target ANyHow This Tym! :)
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Thanks for the Mocks Tips Uday! Really helpful... :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 560 Q42 V25
Send PM
Congratulations! Could you please give some advice on GMAT in-classroom courses? Did you take any? I scored a 600 in my GMAT, but I am planning to take it again. Do you suggest in-classroom courses like ManhattanPrep, VeritasPrep etc? I had enrolled for EmpowerGmat online course, and found it useful.

udaypawar wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
hi

Congratulations for you spectacular achievement. :-D

well.........frankly this is really verbose. I advise you to edit it to point based approach for others(Someone like me with less patience.)

can u please explain how got or made this accuracy analysis?

especially please give few tips regarding verbal score on how to even imagine 40+ in it.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Mechmeera,

Thanks for the balanced and grounded wishes :-)

For a change I tried to be verbose but you managed to pull me down to earth :-D Anyways, if you prefer the pharmacists list of medicines rather than the doctor's detailed analysis, here's my two cents :

Verbal Tips :
1. Do not practice OG / OG Verbal Review till you have learnt all the methods and various types of errors in SC. It is useless to practice SC with the gut feeling and the limited knowledge of CBSE / ICSE school grammar !
2. For CR, PowerScore CR Bible is a must. Read carefully and practice the few questions there. Thereafter, define a method you will use for every question. Write that method on a piece of paper and stick it in front of your study table. Follow that method for every question no matter what. I followed the Prethinking approach by e-GMAT (attended few of their webinars) combined with knowledge of various types of questions from the CR Bible. CR just becomes a breeze once you follow the process.
3. For SC, I purchased the e-GMAT SC Online course and did that rigorously. Solved the relevant questions from OG & OG Verbal Review after completing each topic from e-GMAT SC. This course is a very powerful tool for the uninitiated such as most of the non-natives. Try to increase your accuracy by identifying errors first and then marking the answer. There is no use of practice if you get the question correct SOMEHOW but do not know the precise error. Develop the habit of reciting the type / types of errors in your mind before boiling down on the correct answer choice.
4. For RC, the almighty helped me :) I was really nervous about this section throughout my prep but made it a point to practice few passages every week without fail. Getting around 75~80% accuracy after practice helped me gain confidence. Regular practice maintained that confidence. I followed the Manhattan RC book process here as much as I could.
5. After you are confident of having reached 700 level questions, you will find that the questions are deviating more and more from the standard ones. For eg. there may be inverse subject-verb pair, some idiom you've never heard of etc. Just calm down. Think about two things in such situations : 1st -> What must be going through the GMAT Maker's mind while setting this question ? What is he trying to test here ? ... 2nd -> What is the real and intended meaning of this sentence ? How can this meaning be best expressed through standard English. Literally recite these questions in your mind when you encounter difficult questions such as these. After that, whichever answer choice you boil down to - RECITE THAT ANSWER CHOICE MENTALLY AND SEE IF IT SOUNDS RIGHT TO THE EAR ? If yes, go ahead and mark. If no, follow step 1. ONE WARNING HERE -- This process described in this point is mostly relevant for 700+ questions only. Do not try to use this sound and ear approach initially in your preparation. Do this only when you are confident of having completed the SC course and regularly apply the methods but still find a rare question where the methods seem to fail. Apply this process only to those rare questions.

Quant Tips :
1. For DS, write down everything on paper. Write all the possible ranges / values / domains etc. on paper. Then analyse the possibilities and zero down on the correct answer. This reduces stress as well as ensures you have not missed out anything. A weak / faded ink is always better than a super powerful memory.
2. BEWARE OF THE C TRAP. Many times in DS, the B option itself is sufficient. The GMAT makers are very shrewd. They know the mindset of the test takers. A lucrative C catches a majority of the population simply because of the delight they experience on having found the right answer :). Nobody likes to mark E. Everybody is afraid of E I guess. Hence, as soon as they find C is popping out, they are more than happy to mark. STOP THERE. Look deeply towards B. Spend few extra seconds on B. Make sure it is insufficient by proving the same and then only move forward.
3. Allot 5~10 seconds after solving a question to reread the question to find out what is actually asked. [x] is asked ? Choose [x]. lxl is asked ? Choose lxl. (x-y) is asked ? Choose (x-y)... And so on and so forth. Doing this drastically reduces the %age of silly mistakes.
4. Study "Number Theory" deeply.... In fact very deeply... There is no other topic explored as much by GMAT Makers as "Numbers".
5. Leave your ego outside exam hall if you are some Maths Major / Engineering Topper or likewise. There will invariably a question which goes over your head and you are unable to come up with something magical in 2 minutes. Its better to leave that question after taking a calculated guess.

Mocks Reviewing Tips :

I made error logs after each mock.
Its really a simple excel sheet which I filled up during each of my GMAT mock reviews.
The focus used to be on targeted score increase after each mock, based on what topic questions I got wrong maximum.

For eg. - If in Mock 1 I find that I have got 3~4 Inequalities questions wrong, then I would just focus on improving and practicing inequalities so that I get 100% questions correct in that. Hence, Mock 2 invariably resulted into 3~4 (if there are that many) additional right questions and that increased my score by around 30 points.
I did this from Mock 1 to Mock 7~8 as far as I remember - targeting topics, practicing specific questions and then ensuring I do not get a single question wrong from that topic in the next mock. Though still you get few wrongs here n there... The important thing to realize is why you got them wrong even after so much practice ? -- silly / conceptual / rigor / time rush / too tough / other

For each error type I had the following personal strategy :

1. Silly -- Slap myself. Devise a method so that I somehow remember if I'm getting into that trap again in the next mock. For eg, writing each step down on paper, however simple that may seem, reduced a lot of silly errors. We tend to trust our memory more than we ought to sometimes. In such cases, we miss out on important details. Hence, a weak / faded ink is better than a super-powerful memory.

2. Conceptual -- Simply went over the head or else I was too much stressed to make something meaningful out of it in the stipulated 2 minutes. So simply revisit all the sources for such questions. Go into depth in that topic and develop a method which can be used in the next mock.

3. Rigor -- This means I could have solved this had I put some more effort. Effort was less or missing. For such questions, just try to find some alternate method of solving and memorize that method for the next mock. The reason I did not put that much effort usually turned out to be time constraint. I must have crossed the 2 minute limit and hence decided to stop putting effort. So an alternate method (less time consuming) helps here.

4. Time Rush -- Usually true for questions 31 to 37 in Quant and 35 to 41 in Verbal. VERY IMPORTANT. Plan the timing in such a way that you have at least 2 minutes left for each of the last 5~6 questions. Otherwise, there is high possibility of getting more than 50% of these questions wrong. The unplanned rush at the end reduces the overall accuracy drastically. After failing in this area in the first few mocks, I came up with a strategy of allotting specific time to groups of questions. For eg, Quant -- 75 min to 55 min -> Question 1 to 10 : 55 min to 40 min - > Question 11 to 20 : 40 min to 15 min - > Question 21 to 30 : 15 min to 1 min - > Question 31 to 37. Each of us can have his or her own strategy. This one worked for me fine and I perfected it over 3~4 mocks. So in the later mocks -- 8~10 -- I never seemed to have timing issues. So there were no questions wrong because of time rush / hurry etc. :)

5. Too tough -- If this is just one of the wrongs in the middle of 15~20 consecutive rights and you never seemed to make ABC out of it - Then to hell with it. Just forget this question. It will not affect your score. Just ensure such questions are left after 2 minutes and ego does not come into picture.

At the bottom of each of the mock sectional review, there are few rows of accuracy analysis. Its simply the no. of questions I got right in each topic divided by the total no. of questions in the same topic and multiplied by 100 of course :). These individual accuracy data was collated and the "Accuracy Analysis" sheet was made (The same sheet which was attached with the debrief).

I tried to pass on as much as I could out of my experience. I'm sure you have your own experiences and better ways of doing things.
Best of luck for the GMAT...

I hope this conforms to the point-wise approach suggested earlier ;-)

PS : I have few pages of hand written notes with some knowledge / tips / mistakes etc. If it helps and if you need it, just tell me. Will need to get the pages scanned which may take a while :) .. Also, my mock errors logs, if required, can be shared...

Cheers
Uday
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
Hi there,

I did not take any classroom courses. I focused on self-study as that worked for me.
However, everyone is different. It depends on how comfortable are you with all the basics in quant and verbal.
Also, it depends on whether you can take time out for the classes.
If you feel an external tutor (classroom - either online or in person) would help, then you should go for it!

Hope it helps :)

Regards
Uday

at1988 wrote:
Congratulations! Could you please give some advice on GMAT in-classroom courses? Did you take any? I scored a 600 in my GMAT, but I am planning to take it again. Do you suggest in-classroom courses like ManhattanPrep, VeritasPrep etc? I had enrolled for EmpowerGmat online course, and found it useful.

udaypawar wrote:
Mechmeera wrote:
hi

Congratulations for you spectacular achievement. :-D

well.........frankly this is really verbose. I advise you to edit it to point based approach for others(Someone like me with less patience.)

can u please explain how got or made this accuracy analysis?

especially please give few tips regarding verbal score on how to even imagine 40+ in it.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Mechmeera,

Thanks for the balanced and grounded wishes :-)

For a change I tried to be verbose but you managed to pull me down to earth :-D Anyways, if you prefer the pharmacists list of medicines rather than the doctor's detailed analysis, here's my two cents :

Verbal Tips :
1. Do not practice OG / OG Verbal Review till you have learnt all the methods and various types of errors in SC. It is useless to practice SC with the gut feeling and the limited knowledge of CBSE / ICSE school grammar !
2. For CR, PowerScore CR Bible is a must. Read carefully and practice the few questions there. Thereafter, define a method you will use for every question. Write that method on a piece of paper and stick it in front of your study table. Follow that method for every question no matter what. I followed the Prethinking approach by e-GMAT (attended few of their webinars) combined with knowledge of various types of questions from the CR Bible. CR just becomes a breeze once you follow the process.
3. For SC, I purchased the e-GMAT SC Online course and did that rigorously. Solved the relevant questions from OG & OG Verbal Review after completing each topic from e-GMAT SC. This course is a very powerful tool for the uninitiated such as most of the non-natives. Try to increase your accuracy by identifying errors first and then marking the answer. There is no use of practice if you get the question correct SOMEHOW but do not know the precise error. Develop the habit of reciting the type / types of errors in your mind before boiling down on the correct answer choice.
4. For RC, the almighty helped me :) I was really nervous about this section throughout my prep but made it a point to practice few passages every week without fail. Getting around 75~80% accuracy after practice helped me gain confidence. Regular practice maintained that confidence. I followed the Manhattan RC book process here as much as I could.
5. After you are confident of having reached 700 level questions, you will find that the questions are deviating more and more from the standard ones. For eg. there may be inverse subject-verb pair, some idiom you've never heard of etc. Just calm down. Think about two things in such situations : 1st -> What must be going through the GMAT Maker's mind while setting this question ? What is he trying to test here ? ... 2nd -> What is the real and intended meaning of this sentence ? How can this meaning be best expressed through standard English. Literally recite these questions in your mind when you encounter difficult questions such as these. After that, whichever answer choice you boil down to - RECITE THAT ANSWER CHOICE MENTALLY AND SEE IF IT SOUNDS RIGHT TO THE EAR ? If yes, go ahead and mark. If no, follow step 1. ONE WARNING HERE -- This process described in this point is mostly relevant for 700+ questions only. Do not try to use this sound and ear approach initially in your preparation. Do this only when you are confident of having completed the SC course and regularly apply the methods but still find a rare question where the methods seem to fail. Apply this process only to those rare questions.

Quant Tips :
1. For DS, write down everything on paper. Write all the possible ranges / values / domains etc. on paper. Then analyse the possibilities and zero down on the correct answer. This reduces stress as well as ensures you have not missed out anything. A weak / faded ink is always better than a super powerful memory.
2. BEWARE OF THE C TRAP. Many times in DS, the B option itself is sufficient. The GMAT makers are very shrewd. They know the mindset of the test takers. A lucrative C catches a majority of the population simply because of the delight they experience on having found the right answer :). Nobody likes to mark E. Everybody is afraid of E I guess. Hence, as soon as they find C is popping out, they are more than happy to mark. STOP THERE. Look deeply towards B. Spend few extra seconds on B. Make sure it is insufficient by proving the same and then only move forward.
3. Allot 5~10 seconds after solving a question to reread the question to find out what is actually asked. [x] is asked ? Choose [x]. lxl is asked ? Choose lxl. (x-y) is asked ? Choose (x-y)... And so on and so forth. Doing this drastically reduces the %age of silly mistakes.
4. Study "Number Theory" deeply.... In fact very deeply... There is no other topic explored as much by GMAT Makers as "Numbers".
5. Leave your ego outside exam hall if you are some Maths Major / Engineering Topper or likewise. There will invariably a question which goes over your head and you are unable to come up with something magical in 2 minutes. Its better to leave that question after taking a calculated guess.

Mocks Reviewing Tips :

I made error logs after each mock.
Its really a simple excel sheet which I filled up during each of my GMAT mock reviews.
The focus used to be on targeted score increase after each mock, based on what topic questions I got wrong maximum.

For eg. - If in Mock 1 I find that I have got 3~4 Inequalities questions wrong, then I would just focus on improving and practicing inequalities so that I get 100% questions correct in that. Hence, Mock 2 invariably resulted into 3~4 (if there are that many) additional right questions and that increased my score by around 30 points.
I did this from Mock 1 to Mock 7~8 as far as I remember - targeting topics, practicing specific questions and then ensuring I do not get a single question wrong from that topic in the next mock. Though still you get few wrongs here n there... The important thing to realize is why you got them wrong even after so much practice ? -- silly / conceptual / rigor / time rush / too tough / other

For each error type I had the following personal strategy :

1. Silly -- Slap myself. Devise a method so that I somehow remember if I'm getting into that trap again in the next mock. For eg, writing each step down on paper, however simple that may seem, reduced a lot of silly errors. We tend to trust our memory more than we ought to sometimes. In such cases, we miss out on important details. Hence, a weak / faded ink is better than a super-powerful memory.

2. Conceptual -- Simply went over the head or else I was too much stressed to make something meaningful out of it in the stipulated 2 minutes. So simply revisit all the sources for such questions. Go into depth in that topic and develop a method which can be used in the next mock.

3. Rigor -- This means I could have solved this had I put some more effort. Effort was less or missing. For such questions, just try to find some alternate method of solving and memorize that method for the next mock. The reason I did not put that much effort usually turned out to be time constraint. I must have crossed the 2 minute limit and hence decided to stop putting effort. So an alternate method (less time consuming) helps here.

4. Time Rush -- Usually true for questions 31 to 37 in Quant and 35 to 41 in Verbal. VERY IMPORTANT. Plan the timing in such a way that you have at least 2 minutes left for each of the last 5~6 questions. Otherwise, there is high possibility of getting more than 50% of these questions wrong. The unplanned rush at the end reduces the overall accuracy drastically. After failing in this area in the first few mocks, I came up with a strategy of allotting specific time to groups of questions. For eg, Quant -- 75 min to 55 min -> Question 1 to 10 : 55 min to 40 min - > Question 11 to 20 : 40 min to 15 min - > Question 21 to 30 : 15 min to 1 min - > Question 31 to 37. Each of us can have his or her own strategy. This one worked for me fine and I perfected it over 3~4 mocks. So in the later mocks -- 8~10 -- I never seemed to have timing issues. So there were no questions wrong because of time rush / hurry etc. :)

5. Too tough -- If this is just one of the wrongs in the middle of 15~20 consecutive rights and you never seemed to make ABC out of it - Then to hell with it. Just forget this question. It will not affect your score. Just ensure such questions are left after 2 minutes and ego does not come into picture.

At the bottom of each of the mock sectional review, there are few rows of accuracy analysis. Its simply the no. of questions I got right in each topic divided by the total no. of questions in the same topic and multiplied by 100 of course :). These individual accuracy data was collated and the "Accuracy Analysis" sheet was made (The same sheet which was attached with the debrief).

I tried to pass on as much as I could out of my experience. I'm sure you have your own experiences and better ways of doing things.
Best of luck for the GMAT...

I hope this conforms to the point-wise approach suggested earlier ;-)

PS : I have few pages of hand written notes with some knowledge / tips / mistakes etc. If it helps and if you need it, just tell me. Will need to get the pages scanned which may take a while :) .. Also, my mock errors logs, if required, can be shared...

Cheers
Uday
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 238
GMAT 1: 370 Q29 V13
Send PM
Superb Uday. Appreciate your sincere efforts. God bless u
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
udaypawar, congrats for your 760 score. I noticed that you did 5 Veritas Prep's CATs. In your opinion, what is the CATs' difficulty level compared to the actual GMAT exam, for each Quant, Verbal, and IR section?

Thanks for your answer.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
One of the best debriefs I have read recently.

Congratulations udaypawar!

Thanks for some excellent tips following your debrief post! Much appreciated.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [0]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Congratulations for the great score, and thank you sharing your story - very inspiring.
All the best for the applications.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts