Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
WE:General Management (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Hi guys, could you guys help me out?

In completing the application , when filling the interview location, none of the venues provided are located in my home country, if this is the case, should I choose the closest venue (abroad) available to me or should I pick 'none of the above' and give my reasoning so that if invited I may get a chance for a Skype interview or some sort.

I cannot travel abroad for some time because of my work
Is there anybody else with the same situation? any recommendation for this?
Thanks guys
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Applicants (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Alumni interview done.... Very conversational ...

Mostly asked about things on my resume

- tell me abt urself
- why MBA and why now
- feedback u received
- difficult person on the team
- professional failure
- regrets ( didn't answer this properly)
- biggest achievement in life
- why fuqua ( give me top 2 reasons )
- clarifications on resume
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Taking the Mentorship Program to the Entire Daytime MBA Community
Seeing the success of the small scale mentorship programs run by some of Fuqua’s student clubs, Jennifer Kim and I saw an opportunity to team up with the Development and Alumni Relations department and take them school-wide.

We thought alumni mentors would offer students a valuable opportunity to gain both professional and personal development advice and to help them take full advantage of the Fuqua MBA in a thoughtful way. Alumni Relations recruited the mentors, while Jennifer and I engaged with interested clubs to discuss how to best implement the initiative. Students ranked their mentorship preferences by industry, function, location, gender, ethnicity, and club affiliation. And thanks to the enormous outpouring of alumni volunteers, last year, all of the roughly 200 students who wanted a mentor were matched—most to their top preferences!

Larry Gladstone, MBA ’94, has fully enjoyed his experience as a Health Sector Management mentor and sees it as a mutually beneficial experience. His involvement stems from mentorship relationships that have helped him achieve his career successes. Larry prompts his mentee to reach his or her own conclusions and starts by asking very basic questions like: What have you enjoyed about different professional roles that you’ve taken on? Do you have any specific goals that you are already focused on? Larry wants his mentees to be deliberate in how they take advantage of the mentorship program and leave each conversation with at least one nugget of information.

Mike Dombeck, MBA ’03, wants to help students avoid some of the pitfalls he encountered while building his career. In his mentor relationships he has helped prepare students for their summer internships and full-time job hunts plus helped them navigate the competing demands of a Fuqua MBA. Mike views school, career, and personal life as intrinsically linked, and loves the fact that some of his relationships have endured past graduation.

One of Mike’s mentees was Lisa Moore, MBA ’11. Mike lives in the Triangle, so he and Lisa met monthly to discuss her career options and discuss planning her time at Fuqua. She appreciated that he never squashed her dreams, but allowed her to explore different paths. Mike’s experience resonated with her and as she’s made successive career transitions, she’s continued to lean on him for advice and guidance.

This year, the mentorship program is available to all Daytime MBAs. Jennifer and I always wanted to help Fuqua build a program that made a difference, gave students a new perspective and helped alumni engage with the school. We are hopeful this program will continue after we graduate and that maybe in a few years, we’ll become alumni mentors ourselves.

The post Taking the Mentorship Program to the Entire Daytime MBA Community appeared first on Duke MBA Student Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Had a Face to Face interview with an Alum in Delhi.. Took around 1 hr...Fingers crossed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
sachin6016 wrote:
Had a Face to Face interview with an Alum in Delhi.. Took around 1 hr...Fingers crossed!

Hi sachin6016 can you please share your interview experience including questions asked :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aditya0401 wrote:
Done with my interview with an alumnus in Hyderabad. It was largely conversational, and I think it went well. Can hardly wait for the third week of December!

Hi aditya0401 can you please share your interview experience including questions asked :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tompsom wrote:
Hi guys, could you guys help me out?

In completing the application , when filling the interview location, none of the venues provided are located in my home country, if this is the case, should I choose the closest venue (abroad) available to me or should I pick 'none of the above' and give my reasoning so that if invited I may get a chance for a Skype interview or some sort.

I cannot travel abroad for some time because of my work
Is there anybody else with the same situation? any recommendation for this?
Thanks guys

you could share your reason with the admission team. i believe they will understand and get you a Skype interview.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Interview done. December 17th is so far!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BeatlesFan wrote:

Now be a good Beatles fan and share with us your experience including the questions asked please. Somebody please do that.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V42
WE:Management Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Interesting article to read as we wait for Dec 17

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/11/25/mckinsey-doubles-mba-hires-at-duke/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
BeatlesFan wrote:

Now be a good Beatles fan and share with us your experience including the questions asked please. Somebody please do that.

Hey! I will post in my blog soon about Duke interview, but basically I have used my template and it covered most of questions:
https://mbafortech.com/2015/10/24/mba-interview-guide/

I even became too relaxed, then he decided to finish his questions by asking me to list 3 strengths and weaknesses, though he had already asked about areas for improvement and how my superiors would describe my strengths.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
BrainFog wrote:
BeatlesFan wrote:

He didn't ask any oddball questions. For one of the points on my resume, he asked me to explain it in detail and in layman's terms.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
aditya0401 wrote:

Even though recruiting stats is a lagging indicator of school quality, it's a good sign Fuqua is heading in the right direction. Of my classmate going to McKinsey, about 40% of them are now engagement managers, which is one of the key metrics consulting companies uses to focus their recruiting resources.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
Send PM
asimov wrote:
aditya0401 wrote:

Even though recruiting stats is a lagging indicator of school quality, it's a good sign Fuqua is heading in the right direction. Of my classmate going to McKinsey, about 40% of them are now engagement managers, which is one of the key metrics consulting companies uses to focus their recruiting resources.

That's great to hear. After scrolling through some of the comments, people seem to be saying that yes, McKinsey does recruit at Duke, but for less prestigious positions such as implementation (although I'd think working at McKinsey in almost any capacity would be prestigious). Since the people commenting on P&Q can be trolling or just wrong, could you speak to this? What types of positions are being recruited at Duke? Are the statistics misleading at all?

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)
Send PM
GMATAssociate wrote:
asimov wrote:
aditya0401 wrote:

That's great to hear. After scrolling through some of the comments, people seem to be saying that yes, McKinsey does recruit at Duke, but for less prestigious positions such as implementation (although I'd think working at McKinsey in almost any capacity would be prestigious). Since the people commenting on P&Q can be trolling or just wrong, could you speak to this? What types of positions are being recruited at Duke? Are the statistics misleading at all?

Thanks!

I would be interested in this as well. Which offices/roles are people getting jobs in?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Regarding new report, please pay attention to low internship numbers. Ft hires at mck might be in that vicinity - I was told that in 2016 the number of 2nd year hires is much lower than in 2015, keep that in mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Current Student Blogs: Benefits of the Unique Fuqua Class Schedule
A question I often get is, why does Fuqua have Wednesdays off from class? Why not Friday like many other B-schools? Once you understand how valuable the midweek break is to your schedule it makes perfect sense.

The value to having Wednesday as a ‘free day’ is that it helps pace the academics during the week as you attempt to balance all the extracurricular activities that are thrust upon you as a component of the MBA experience. I’ll try my best to provide that perspective based on my experience so far as a first-year student.

As a prospective MBA student, you know the joy that surrounds any 3-day holiday weekend. Presently, you may think of all that can be accomplished with an extra day during the weekend. Maybe you’ll do a little traveling, enjoy some family time, try relaxing, or socializing. You contemplate all relative merits of a trip to the beach or hiking at a scenic destination nearby. It’s OK to appreciate those 3-day weekends now, because after you arrive they will strike fear into your hearts as MBAs. I’ll explain how they disrupt your Fuqua class schedule in just a second.

The Weekly Schedule
The pace of life at Fuqua is based around a 2-day block of classes, twice a week (Monday/Tuesday and Thursday/Friday). So our weekly academic schedule consists of 2, 2-day blocks, or ‘mini-weeks’ with Wednesday as a catch up day in between.

Every 2-day block of classes generally necessitates an entire free day to help students finish pre-work, revisit difficult concepts from a previous day, recruiting activity, or to fulfill those productive extra-curricular endeavors. You’ll quickly find yourself protecting your Wednesdays because they give you that much needed break in between the 2 academic mini-weeks, allowing you to meet the demands of your rigorous academic and professional schedule.

…or engage in extracurricular activities on campus like attending this Graduate & Professional Student Council lunch with Duke University President Richard Brodhead
When the Schedule is Disrupted
Now back to the dread and fear brought about by a 3-day weekend. When this occurs, as it did the week of Labor Day during the first week of Fall Term 1, classes are compressed into the remaining four weekdays. Having class Tuesday through Friday leaves you without a significant amount of free time to catch up before you are again thrust into the classroom for another round in front of the proverbial fire-hose of knowledge.

As soon as you experience how upsetting this is to the smooth flow of the weekly academic schedule, you suddenly go through your calendar praying that no more Wednesdays will be sacrificed in a given term.

After all is said and done, I’m eternally grateful to the amazing people who realized that dividing up the week by giving us Wednesdays off really makes the learning process better. Other MBA programs seemed to relish having their Fridays off. But knowing what I do now about the competing pressures of an MBA program (academic, social, and professional), my Wednesdays and the unique schedule at Fuqua have become major components of a healthy and balanced MBA candidate lifestyle.

The post Benefits of the Unique Fuqua Class Schedule appeared first on Duke MBA Student Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29   30   31  ...  46   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts