Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: PMI
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [3]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '17 (A)
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Debrief
Delhi Interview
20th 3:30 ITC Sheraton

Arrived half an hour earlier than my scheduled arrival. The panel was running 45 minutes late. Nervous but fun conversation in the room (the same room as ShyamNambiar actually-cool guy)

The one word essay seemed more like a way for ISB to keep the candidates occupied than an actual input that they may use to question you in the interview.

Got called in a whole 45 minutes later by an adcom member. The panel consisted of two people- the adcom member and an alum (mid 30s guy)

Extremely chilled out. It helped that I dropped an ice breaker about the nervous energy in the waiting room- this set the tone for the interview.

The interview focused primarily on

1) My role in my current job and the implications of the volatile startup market. (Know your job and your industry like the back of your hand, guys. Including numbers and commercial data at a broader level)
2) Why I am taking a break from this exciting venture and looking to do an MBA at ISB
3) My plan B
4) Why I went from servicing trucks to selling vegetables

All in all, the interview was really fun, there was a lot of laughing and the whole thing seemed conversational. Played out very differently than what I had thought in my head.

The key is to appear like a confident manager and not some college kid trying desperately to flaunt GMAT scores ( of which there were a few cases in the waiting room). They need to see strong personality traits and don't be afraid to use your hands to illustrate points, it shows that you are completely immersed in getting ideas across.

Don't ask questions at the end for the sake of asking questions. The difference between you and some guy who's memorized ten things to spit out at the interview is the ease with which the points come across. Treat the interview like a get-to-know-you rather than a grilling session.

All the best. The terrible 25 day wait starts for me.

Hope to see you on the other side!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Highdrogen wrote:
Debrief
Delhi Interview
20th 3:30 ITC Sheraton

Arrived half an hour earlier than my scheduled arrival. The panel was running 45 minutes late. Nervous but fun conversation in the room (the same room as ShyamNambiar actually-cool guy)

The one word essay seemed more like a way for ISB to keep the candidates occupied than an actual input that they may use to question you in the interview.

Got called in a whole 45 minutes later by an adcom member. The panel consisted of two people- the adcom member and an alum (mid 30s guy)

Extremely chilled out. It helped that I dropped an ice breaker about the nervous energy in the waiting room- this set the tone for the interview.

The interview focused primarily on

1) My role in my current job and the implications of the volatile startup market. (Know your job and your industry like the back of your hand, guys. Including numbers and commercial data at a broader level)
2) Why I am taking a break from this exciting venture and looking to do an MBA at ISB
3) My plan B
4) Why I went from servicing trucks to selling vegetables

All in all, the interview was really fun, there was a lot of laughing and the whole thing seemed conversational. Played out very differently than what I had thought in my head.

The key is to appear like a confident manager and not some college kid trying desperately to flaunt GMAT scores ( of which there were a few cases in the waiting room). They need to see strong personality traits and don't be afraid to use your hands to illustrate points, it shows that you are completely immersed in getting ideas across.

Don't ask questions at the end for the sake of asking questions. The difference between you and some guy who's memorized ten things to spit out at the interview is the ease with which the points come across. Treat the interview like a get-to-know-you rather than a grilling session.

All the best. The terrible 25 day wait starts for me.

Hope to see you on the other side!

Folks, this is the way to go!! Now you have heard it from two guys who had fun at the interview.
Highdrogen -Thanks for the mention too! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: ISB '17 (S)
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
Send PM
Has any mumbai candidate got an interview call??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Yes
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just checked my ISB portal. It says shortlisted for interview.
However, I haven't received any call yet.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
gmatakhil wrote:
My question is how important is the interview overall, can I have a relatively average interview and still make it if the rest of the profile is fine.

The adcom said it was about as important as the gmat score.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1219 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
pratik020989 wrote:
Just checked my ISB portal. It says shortlisted for interview.
However, I haven't received any call yet.....

Congrats...Are you talking about the small box window which says 'ISB PGP Online Application Status'
Exactly where does it say shortlisted for interview...?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Has anybody received an interview invite for Mumbai today???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,
I got an interview invite via email dated 18th Nov (no call) which says to click on the link and confirm your acceptance within 48 hours. However, I checked my mails today i.e 21 Nov 2015 and gave my confirmation by clicking on the link. As 48 hours period has already passed, will this create any problem for me?

Originally posted by pratik020989 on 21 Nov 2015, 09:14.
Last edited by Narenn on 21 Nov 2015, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Topic merged in main application discussion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
pratik020989 wrote:
Hi,
I got an interview invite via email dated 18th Nov (no call) which says to click on the link and confirm your acceptance within 48 hours. However, I checked my mails today i.e 21 Nov 2015 and gave my confirmation by clicking on the link. As 48 hours period has already passed, will this create any problem for me?

I would recommend you send a separate email to the ISB admissions ID from where you got the invite, detailing why and how the delay happened. They should be able to accommodate you. The 48 hour target must be to ensure that all slots for a particular location are filled. Don't worry too much, since you have clicked the link. You should have got a confirmation mail too, after it. If yes, no reason to worry further! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Send PM
satwikpanda wrote:
gmatakhil wrote:
My question is how important is the interview overall, can I have a relatively average interview and still make it if the rest of the profile is fine.

Look at it this way. You have beaten several candidates to get picked for the interview, since everyone who applies has not been called for interviews.
Now you are in a better pool, and obviously the inter se performance at the interview will carry greater merit at this stage, to add/ take away from the rest of the assessment (all of which is NOT face to face). So, I'd say the interview is pretty important, being the only REAL assessment they get to do.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
shyamnambiar wrote:
satwikpanda wrote:
gmatakhil wrote:

Look at it this way. You have beaten several candidates to get picked for the interview, since everyone who applies has not been called for interviews.
Now you are in a better pool, and obviously the inter se performance at the interview will carry greater merit at this stage, to add/ take away from the rest of the assessment (all of which is NOT face to face). So, I'd say the interview is pretty important, being the only REAL assessment they get to do.

What I understood of the admission process is that your interview scores go back to your file and then the entire application is evaluated- hence my question. As I understand, interview is not the only thing judged at this stage- interview in conjunction with everything else is.

Originally posted by gmatakhil on 21 Nov 2015, 10:58.
Last edited by gmatakhil on 21 Nov 2015, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
shazam1234 wrote:
Has anybody received an interview invite for Mumbai today???

Hello, I think no invites were sent out today. Going through different forums, I guess the last set of invites for Mumbai location will be given on Monday.

Best of luck! I am also hoping to get lucky on Monday:)
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Kudos