Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:59 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2900 [166]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [72]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [26]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: masters in finance
 Q50  V48
GPA: ok this is the sad part
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [5]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
spriya wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

Concepts tested here: Parallelism + Idioms + Redundancy/Awkwardness

• Any elements linked by a conjunction (“instead of”, “as opposed to, “in contrast with”, and “rather than” in this sentence) must be parallel.
• “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of passive continuous must be justified in the context.

A: Trap. This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “over a broad surface area” and “a series of regularly spaced points”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“instead of” in this sentence) must be parallel.

B: Trap. This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “over a broad surface area” and “a series of regularly spaced points”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“as opposed to” in this sentence) must be parallel.

C: This answer choice fails to maintain parallelism between “over a broad surface area” and “a series of regularly spaced points”; please remember, any elements linked by a conjunction (“in contrast with” in this sentence) must be parallel.

D: Correct. This answer choice maintains parallelism between the prepositional phrases “over a broad surface area” and “at a series of regularly spaced points”. Further, Option D is free of awkwardness and redundancy.

E: This answer choice incorrectly utilizes the word “being”, leading to redundancy; “being” is only to be used when it is part of a noun phrase or represents the passive continuous verb tense; the use of the passive continuous tense must be justified in context.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3077 [14]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
spriya wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

instead of --used for replacement
I want coffe instead of tea .
rather than -- used to preference.

A)
= ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) instead of
"a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are not parallel. also "instead of" is incorrec here.

D) ...advantage of X over Y is that the contact.. is effected continously "over a broad surface" (O) rather than
"at a series of regulary spaced points..." (S)
O and S are ll... and also rather than makes sense here.

correct me if i am wrong
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E is out "being"
B is awkward out
C - "in contrast with" is used to compare like things. It is inappropriate in this context
A - instead of cannot be used to compare clauses

D remains.

Moreover the comparison is

bonding is effected continuously over a broad surface rather than at a series of regularly spaced points

whichscore wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact,
and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Kudos
whichscore wrote:
In metalwork one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact,
and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.
(A) instead of
(B) as opposed to
(C) in contrast with
(D) rather than at
(E) as against being at

How to decide between instead of and rather than here??
I think the verb is effected makes it necessary to use rather than and not instead of.

Experts pls comment on that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
‘Instead of’ means ‘in the place of’. In contexts when we have a dilemma of choosing between one or the other 'rather than' is more befitting.

In metal work one advantage of adhesive-bonding over spot-welding is that the contact, and hence the bonding, is effected continuously over a broad surface in the place of a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between

We can see how 'rather than' fits in better. I have hardly seen 'instead of' being approved by GMAT in such circumstances.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Send PM
I think the point is:

The comparison of contact. Whether contact is continuous or at regularly spaced points. The meaning of the sentence is trying to point out contact done continuously is better than done regularly spaced.

For choices A, B, which sounds pretty reasonable at first glance, you reject them for not having at

Only D makes the meaning complete.

The sentence goes:
contact, blah blah blah, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points
with no bonding

Compares contact effected continuously to a series of regularly spaced points. <--- This doesnt make any sense whether it is A, B or C.

Not sure if I am putting my point across correctly.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
scottleey wrote:
I think the point is:

The comparison of contact. Whether contact is continuous or at regularly spaced points. The meaning of the sentence is trying to point out contact done continuously is better than done regularly spaced.

For choices A, B, which sounds pretty reasonable at first glance, you reject them for not having at

Only D makes the meaning complete.

The sentence goes:
contact, blah blah blah, is effected continuously over a broad surface instead of a series
of regularly spaced points
with no bonding

Compares contact effected continuously to a series of regularly spaced points. <--- This doesnt make any sense whether it is A, B or C.

Not sure if I am putting my point across correctly.

Yes, I agree with your view. I would just like to try to put it across a bit more clearly, if I can.

The comparison markers here are
X instead of Y
X rather than Y

The comparison is between the two processes by which "the contact is effected":

Process 1 (X): The contact is effected continuously over a broad surface.
Process 2 (Y): The contact is effected at a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

Hence the compared elements are continuously over a broad surface and at a series of regularly spaced points with no bonding in between.

Moreover, the usage of "instead of" is restricted to nouns only, whereas "rather than" is more versatile and can be used for comparing not just nouns, nut also other elements such as participles, phrases etc. Hence "rather than" is the correct choice here.

The correct answer is D, which takes care of both the above issues.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM

daagh sir,
I am not able to understand the structure of the highlighted portion of the sentence, could you please help me to understand that.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tamal
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
"hence the bonding" is an appositive modifier of the contact since the bonding or adhesion is the effect of the contact. "hence" makes this point clear and we should take them as one unit rather than as two different phenomena.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos
I got this answer wrong initially, but I'm trying hard to use GMATNinja 's theory of going literal to understand this better:

- instead of and rather than are preferred idioms
- amongst these two, here's how i got to the right answer:

--> Makes it look like the contacts are effected instead of the regularly spaced points. But the intent is to show the comparison at the points where the welding effects are seen, so needs a "at"

rather than at --> in option D fixes it

Kudos if you feel content with the reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [3]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
This question focuses mainly on the difference between "Instead of" vs "Rather than"
Instead of: It only takes noun as an object and can only put nouns in parallel.
Rather than: It can take either a noun or a clause as its object. It can put nouns, pronouns or entire actions in parallel.
Hence D is correct answer choice
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1805 [3]
Given Kudos: 203
Send PM
Kudos