Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi thesouthpaw,

By the wording of your post, I think you're asking if you can 'request' a new order of the sections - and the answer is likely no. Whatever 'parameters' GMAC is using to make these offers, the offers are not going out to everyone and there's probably some 'sampling rules' that the statisticians are trying to follow. While it's conceivable that you could take your 'first' GMAT and then receive an offer to retest under these conditions, you shouldn't try to plan for that possibility as there's no way to determine whether it's likely to happen.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Hi bb, wouldn´t that cause an inflation of Q and V scores? Think about it for a second. Most students have a hard time focusing after 3 hours of test, so it is also about testing one´s stamina and ability to focus, especially in the Verbal section. With the possibility to take the "hardest yet most important" parts of the test early on, students will be fresh, thus less prone to make errors, no?

Last but not least, wouldn´t that be unfair to the students who have taken or will take the GMAT without being able to choose the order of sections?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi michaelyb,

You bring up some good points, but I guarantee that everyone at GMAC has already thought through those points. To that same end, everyone at every Business School has already thought about that too. The relatively small group of Test Takers who have been offered these testing options likely won't significantly matter to the application process. Unless they ALL scored at a really high level (which is not likely to occur) and a good chunk of them applied to the same Schools that you plan to apply to (also mathematically unlikely), you really have nothing to worry about. Keep in mind that the application process involves several 'pieces', and the GMAT score is just one of them.

I would not be surprised if GMAC includes a "note" with the Official Score reports that points out the re-ordering of the sections on those Exams (so that Schools have the relevant information needed to assess those specific applicants (in comparison to those applicants who took the GMAT under normal conditions).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools:Kellogg MBA 2004
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
michaelyb wrote:
Hi bb, wouldn´t that cause an inflation of Q and V scores? Think about it for a second. Most students have a hard time focusing after 3 hours of test, so it is also about testing one´s stamina and ability to focus, especially in the Verbal section. With the possibility to take the "hardest yet most important" parts of the test early on, students will be fresh, thus less prone to make errors, no?

Last but not least, wouldn´t that be unfair to the students who have taken or will take the GMAT without being able to choose the order of sections?

That's a good question, and I'm sure that's what GMAC wants to test and measure with this pilot: Does letting students take the exam in a different order have a significant impact on how they do on each section? If the answer is yes, then I bet we won't hear about this anymore once the pilot is over!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 453
Concentration: Finance
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Send PM
bb Just checked my mailbox and i got the invite :) Should i enrol?????
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
New GMAC Feature - Select the Order of Sections on GMAT [Pilot] [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey guys,

I visit this site nearly everyday but I have never contributed so I guess is time to do so. I am one of those lucky one percenters who got the invitation to participate in the pilot.

The score I cancelled was a 670 and that was back in 12/12/15. I got that score after 4 months of preparation including a live MGMAT class. I was aiming for a 700+, hence why I cancelled the score.

I didn't retake studying again until January (bad mistake by the way), so I'm adding two extra months of preparation as I'm taking the test on 2/27/16.

When you sign up for the test you HAVE to choose the order of the sections, so I chose Verbal, Quant, IR, AWA. Even though I'm not particularly weak on verbal, that is the section that I enjoy the least, so I wanted to get it out of way first and then focus on Quant, which doesn't bother me at all.

The real benefit of me writing this post will come when I post the results of the verbal section. On my last test I got V35, so if taking verbal first can yield a score of V38 or higher then that would be a good indicator that there's a real benefit to take this section first.

I will keep you guys posted.

Cheers!
CT
Attachments

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 105.24 KiB | Viewed 8347 times ]

Originally posted by charronecrom on 21 Jan 2016, 12:02.
Last edited by charronecrom on 21 Jan 2016, 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@charronecrome same here... :) Hey btw...does that mean 8th is also included?
Attachments

Invite screen shot.docx [423.31 KiB]
Downloaded 73 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
debbiem wrote:

Did you book the slot well before the invite ? or you got the invite even before booking a slot ?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
debbiem wrote:

Cool! I think so! I see no downside...
Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thesouthpaw wrote:
debbiem wrote:

Did you book the slot well before the invite ? or you got the invite even before booking a slot ?

No Dear,

I did nothing. I just came randomly for some inspiration and saw bb's post like 10 mins back.. and checked my inbox immediately. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GMAT 2: 670 Q46 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
Kudos
debbiem wrote:
@charronecrome same here... :) Hey btw...does that mean 8th is also included?

Debbie,

I would like to think so, but most likely that will be determined by test center availability. I originally wanted to take it a week after the 27th but no spots were available.

Best of luck.

CT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
debbiem wrote:
thesouthpaw wrote:
debbiem wrote:

No Dear,

I did nothing. I just came randomly for some inspiration and saw bb's post like 10 mins back.. and checked my inbox immediately. :)

GMAt wants you to get a 700 ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAt wants you to get a 700 ;)[/quote]

Hope so.. :) God knows the best. Anyways yup i got myself enrolled. Thanks bb May God bless!
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Expert Reply
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 25 Jan 2016, 23:24.
Last edited by dabral on 29 Aug 2023, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [5]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
One thing about the GMAT Verbal section is that it's not supposed to be testing how well you deal with fatigue. It's supposed to be testing your Verbal ability. That was actually one of the motivations to switch to adaptive testing, from paper testing - to get the same scoring accuracy, a paper test needs to be about 50% longer. By switching to adaptive testing, they could shorten the test and reduce the influence of the test's duration.

I'd guess GMAC had been working under the assumption that the test was short enough that fatigue didn't normally have a significant influence on scores. From recent developments, I have the impression that GMAC is acknowledging (and this is all very welcome) that issues like test anxiety and fatigue might have an unfair influence on performance, for some test takers. The recent changes to the score cancellation policy seem intended to reduce test day anxiety, and this new development seems intended to reduce the influence of fatigue, so the GMAT can measure what it's really intended to measure.

But I'd be a bit surprised if a new section sequence made a big difference to average scores. I think the majority of test takers are not substantially affected by fatigue, but at the same time, it's certainly true that some test takers are, and this change will be very beneficial for them. Test takers who are unsure how they're affected by fatigue can do trial runs on their own - take one GMATPrep test like a real test, and then take one with very long (day-long, maybe) breaks between sections. You can compare your performance, in Verbal especially, to see if fatigue seems to be having a major impact on your score. Note also that's one reason not to always follow the advice I sometimes read on this forum, to always take complete tests when you take practice tests. If you always do that, you can't tell if low Verbal scores mean you need to work on Verbal, or you need to work on stamina.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
As a data point, I just received in invitation today, even though I had never cancelled a score. Definitely not retaking though :)

I also think this will inflate the scores. I know I was having trouble concentrating at the end of verbal on both my attempts, and it's also hard to ignore the anticipation of seeing your score. A lot of native English speakers should be able to get a 5 or 6 on the AWA even on a tired brain at the end.

I would personally do Quant, Verbal, IR, AWA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2722 [0]
Given Kudos: 1477
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V37
GMAT 2: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V27
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I have just received the invite to retake the test under these new special conditions. Besides that GMAC has granted me a free retake after having reviewed my incident report - a distraction caused by the testcenter.

I am now seriously considering what to do ... Those dates exactly the ones I intended to to sit for exam. It is free this time for me.

For year I have been training myself to take the CAT in the established order. I am always more anxious during the the awa and then get calm during IR. Quant is the most stressful. In verbal though during the last 10 questions I already feel fatigue. So shifting the verbal up at least by 30 mins is a great idea.

If I accept the invite then obviously I will postpone AWA until the end. IR 3d. This gives me comparatively high performance during the initial 75+8+75 minutes. But what should go first?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3