Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V41
Send PM
GMAT 690: Low Quant and IR Score. [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hashaam,

First off, a 690 is a strong overall score (it's just shy of the 90th percentile overall), so you should apply to any Business Schools that interest you. While a Q43 is not going to 'impress' anyone, that score would really only be a 'red flag' if you were applying to highly ranked Programs (or in such areas as Finance or other Specialty Programs). In addition, many Schools have publicly stated that they do NOT use an applicant's IR score as part of the application review process, so you have nothing to worry about there. As such, a retest is probably not necessary.

Saying that you're interested in the Top 100 isn't particularly specific, so it sounds as though you're not in a 'rush' to go to Business School.

1) When are you planning to apply?
2) You've hinted at some Schools that might interest you, but do you have a specific list?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thankyou guys for your prompt reply.

So let's get down to the details. First of all, I might not seem to be in a hurry as most of the application deadlines have already passed, especially considering the fact that I'd like to secure a scholarship (need or merit based) as well as an international applicant. Another reason is that of the two years of work experience, 1 year was in a startup without any managerial responsibilities and won't be considered impressive. The 2nd year is not necessarily of managerial nature but is in a fortune 500 company and I have a lot to show to the adcom from the latter year (performance appraisals, in-line for promotion, managers' feedback etc.). i am 24 right now but that's not to say that I'm willing to reach the average MBA age. That's one of the reasons why I'm willing to leave a top 25 if a good school apart from those can take me in despite limited work experience.
So coming back to your questions, I'm planning to apply this year but I just started my research after I took the GMAT in the mid of this January so yeah the deadlines have passed or are approaching fast. With that in mind, I want to apply to some schools and assess the responses from adcoms which will give me a better picture of my own standing. So I'll apply for schools that have March as their international applicants deadline.
Secondly, there are only a few schools that have interested me so far and in fact, I'd like to know how high I could go up the university ranks for applications without hurting the probability of getting the admission and without re-taking the test as I can't afford to spend another month for preparation. Having said that, UBC Sauder has interested me so far the most considering time taken and ROI. Other programs are MBA programs from McGill: Desautels and Rochester: Simon and Emory as I love the nature of the program (though I know its very competitive for me)
Thirdly, I am well aware that even if my GMAT is good enough, my work experience would still remain a big drawback which I'm hoping to cover through my side interests of stock investment and content writing that I can prove through internship experiences and my individual endeavours in these fields. My primary concerns are getting into MBA as young as I can and for that I wont mind going 10 universities down in the ranking when I apply.
Now comes the tricky part: my electives would primarily consist of finance courses along with an operations management course. I have majored in finance in my bachelors with 3.33 CGPA. I have studied business mathematics, Commercial Banking, Analysis for Financial Statements and these kind of courses securing A and B grades. I got a C in Budgeting which was the first finance course but I guess that would be overshadowed with grades secured later. Furthermore, in my higher secondary school (equivalent of A-levels), I have studied Calculus (integration, derivation) and probability and statistics with 75-85% marks in these specific subjects.
I hope I made my perspective clear. I need guidance on each of the mentioned concerns. Thankyou very much.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: GMAT 690: Low Quant and IR Score. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Hashaam,

With your last post, you're ultimately asking Admissions questions, so you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and your plans. There's a Forum full of them here:

ask-admission-consultants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 690: Low Quant and IR Score. [#permalink]