Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1393 [27]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [3]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: If g(x) = 2^x + x, how many solutions satisfy the equation g(x) = 2? [#permalink]
Beixi88 wrote:
Usually when I see problems like this (graph, number of times a value is hit, exponential equation, etc.), I try to find a key inflection x value. For any a^b question, the inflection x will almost always be 0. From here, we break our equation into three parts: x = 0, x < 0, x > 0. We want to know what the function is doing in each of these ranges. For this specific question, we want to know if each part is upward-trending or downward-trending.

x > 0:
\(2^x + x, x > 0\)
\(2^x\) is a parabola when x > 0. We know that it will pass through all positive x points and, for x > 0, all y points above 1. Our trend is strictly upwards.

IMO, statement above in red is a sweeping statement that is not really true. "Almost always" is a bit misleading.

Secondly, the graph of y=2^x is NOT a parabola but one half of a hyperbola with x axis as the asymptotic axis after \(x \approx -11\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Send PM
Re: If g(x) = 2^x + x, how many solutions satisfy the equation g(x) = 2? [#permalink]
Engr2012 wrote:
Beixi88 wrote:
Usually when I see problems like this (graph, number of times a value is hit, exponential equation, etc.), I try to find a key inflection x value. For any a^b question, the inflection x will almost always be 0. From here, we break our equation into three parts: x = 0, x < 0, x > 0. We want to know what the function is doing in each of these ranges. For this specific question, we want to know if each part is upward-trending or downward-trending.

x > 0:
\(2^x + x, x > 0\)
\(2^x\) is a parabola when x > 0. We know that it will pass through all positive x points and, for x > 0, all y points above 1. Our trend is strictly upwards.

IMO, statement above in red is a sweeping statement that is not really true. "Almost always" is a bit misleading.

Secondly, the graph of y=2^x is NOT a parabola but one half of a hyperbola with x axis as the asymptotic axis after \(x \approx -11\)

Thanks for pointing out those errors. I'll go ahead and amend my post.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6119 [3]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Kudos
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
If g(x) = \(2^x\) + x, how many solutions satisfy the equation g(x) = 2?

A. Zero
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Infinite

This question is too hard and unlikely to appear on the GMAT test.

We could draw the graph as Engr2012 did.
However, drawing the graph of \(2^x+x\) is too hard without any tool.

Note that \(2^x+x=2 \implies 2^x=2-x\).

We will draw the graph of \(y=2^x\) and \(y=2-x\)

Graph of \(y=2^x\)
If \(x=0 \implies y=2^x = 1\). The line go through point (0, 1)
If \(x=1 \implies y=2^x = 2\). The line go through point (1, 2)
If \(x=2 \implies y=2^x = 4\). The line go through point (2, 4)
If \(x=-1 \implies y=2^x = 1/2\). The line go through point (-1, 1/2)

Hence, the graph of \(y=2^x\) looks like the blue line.
Attachment:
graph.png
graph.png [ 10.67 KiB | Viewed 6743 times ]

Hence, the equation has only 1 root. The answer is B.

We could solve this question using derivative. However, this tool is out of scope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
TeamGMATIFY wrote:
If g(x) = \(2^x\) + x, how many solutions satisfy the equation g(x) = 2?

A. Zero
B. One
C. Two
D. Three
E. Infinite

Bunuel I am not able to comprehend the explanations. Is there an algebraic approach to this question?

I don't know about graphs, at all. :(
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
If g(x) = 2^x + x, how many solutions satisfy the equation g(x) = 2? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
I agree with the post above that says this question is out of the scope of the GMAT, since you can't solve the resulting equation using conventional GMAT math, so I don't think people should worry about it much. But I suppose you can answer it without using any graphs.

If you think about the function f(x) = 2^x, that is a function that is 'constantly increasing'. If you plug in bigger and bigger values for x, the value of the function gets bigger and bigger. The same is true for the function h(x) = x, and if we add two functions that are constantly increasing, the result will be too. So the function g(x) = 2^x + x is a function that gets bigger and bigger as you plug in larger and larger values of x. Put algebraically,

if a > b, then g(a) > g(b)

and as a logical consequence, if we plug in two different values for x into g(x), we can never get the same answer. So the equation g(x) = 2 can only have at most one solution for x.

Then we just need to confirm there is indeed one solution. This is where things really get outside the scope of the GMAT. If you notice that g(x) can be less than 2 (if you plug in x = 0, say) or greater than 2 (if you plug in x=1, say), then g(x) has to be equal to 2 for some value of x between 0 and 1, because g(x) is constantly and continuously increasing, and has to pass through the value 2 at some point. Technically I'm using something called the 'Intermediate Value Theorem' here though, which is a theorem from calculus that you don't ever need on the GMAT.

The logic above might not make a lot of sense to people who haven't studied calculus (you use this kind of reasoning in a lot of calc problems, but rarely in other kinds of problems), and as I pointed out above, if it doesn't make a lot of sense, it's not something you need to worry about if you're preparing for the GMAT!
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts