Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [67]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [83]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [12]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
Re: Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Ta [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vscid wrote:
Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out from the surface of the murky water.

1]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
2]encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
3]had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
4]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out
5]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

Many daring vacationers | who participate in guided boat tours | on the Tarcoles River | encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, | with eyes and noses peeking out | from the surface of the murky water.

My standard way of solving SC questions, break the sentence into meaningful clauses, each clause speaks about one and only one thing. Now you can eliminate some of the clauses that are just adding information and aren't necessary to understand the complete meaning. That way, you can clearly see the usage of "whose" is a pronoun-referencing error.

My take is D and lock this as the OA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Ta [#permalink]
Kudos
vscid wrote:
Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out from the surface of the murky water.

1]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
2]encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
3]had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
4]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out
5]encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

My take on this question is in a different way , As i think use of whose is correct because It clearly refer's to croc's !!

Ans is D,

Reasoning as follows : < I split sentence into its clauses >

Many Daring vactioners,

Who participate in guided tours on the tarcos river , encounter native crocodile lurking in the swallows,

Whose eyes & noes are peeking out from the surface of murky water

Now, As per S-V agreement Sentence is correct,
Pronoun : whose --> referring to croc correct
Verb Tense : Since this is a information statement hence Simple present tense must be use , Use of present progressive in under line portion ( Whose eyes & noes are peeking) wrong
Modifiers : Correct
Parallelism : OK
Idioms : does not find any specific
Meaning : clear

A : Wrong because of VT error
B: use of encountered verb wrong
C : Use of past perfect wrong
D : Correct Ans ,
E : Use of that unnecessary

Hope it helps !!

Regards
ST
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peaking out from the surface of the murky water.

A. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows,whose eyes and noses are peaking out

B.encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peak out

C. had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peak out

D. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows,with eyes and noses peaking out

E. encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows,with eyes and noses that are peaking out

I would chose 'D' for this.

The question stem is stating a fact, and hence 'B' and 'C' are out because of past/ past perfect tense. In option 'E'- with eyes and noses that are peaking out- 'that are' is not required.

'Whose' in option A is not clear for what is is referring to. 'D' sounds correct that crocodiles with eyes and noses peaking out of water are seen by vacationers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
sayantanc2k

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River
encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out
from the surface of the murky water.

B > encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
Having read about so many modifier and their exceptions (such as that, which , etc) I have come up with a rule that meaning is given precedence over placement all the time.

In this option "whose" very well modifies crocodiles logically ; lurking in the shallows modifies crocodiles logically and grammatically and its a participle phrase - so we can drop off this part to fetch the crux of the sentence. After cutting the fluff I found the usage of "whose" correct in this option.
Of Course we have fatal verb error in this choice to make it incorrect.

Can we say that the usage of "whose" is correct in here?

D> encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out

For the usage of WITH - I always though comma + with modifies the preceding action/verb and answers the How question.
How did the vacationers encountered crocodiles? with eyes and noses peeking out ? Does not make sense

So how is "WITH" modifying crocodile? and what are the rule around the "WITH"
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
divyaverma wrote:
sayantanc2k

Many daring vacationers who participate in guided boat tours on the Tarcoles River
encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out

B > encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out
Having read about so many modifier and their exceptions (such as that, which , etc) I have come up with a rule that meaning is given precedence over placement all the time.

In this option "whose" very well modifies crocodiles logically ; lurking in the shallows modifies crocodiles logically and grammatically and its a participle phrase - so we can drop off this part to fetch the crux of the sentence. After cutting the fluff I found the usage of "whose" correct in this option.

D> encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out

For the usage of WITH - I always though comma + with modifies the preceding action/verb and answers the How question.
How did the vacationers encountered crocodiles? with eyes and noses peeking out ? Does not make sense

Both your questions are related. In general a modifier should touch the noun it modifies. However there are certain exceptions when this rule does not hold. Manhattan SC guide elaborates these rules in a structured way. The above is an example of such an exception in which the touch rule does not hold.

Moreover I would suggest not to differentiate the modifiers as "whose" modifiers, "with" modifiers etc. - it is more convenient to generalize the rules for all modifiers - only some exceptions may be memorized (e.g., present participle modifier may refer to the whole preceding clause).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
sayantanc2k wrote:
divyaverma wrote:
sayantanc2k

Both your questions are related. In general a modifier should touch the noun it modifies. However there are certain exceptions when this rule does not hold. Manhattan SC guide elaborates these rules in a structured way. The above is an example of such an exception in which the touch rule does not hold.

Moreover I would suggest not to differentiate the modifiers as "whose" modifiers, "with" modifiers etc. - it is more convenient to generalize the rules for all modifiers - only some exceptions may be memorized (e.g., present participle modifier may refer to the whole preceding clause).

Between D and E: Am I right to say that both answer are grammatically correct but one is more concise than the other ?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
asdfghjklasdfghj wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
divyaverma wrote:
sayantanc2k

Between D and E: Am I right to say that both answer are grammatically correct but one is more concise than the other ?

No, it is not concision that makes option D better. The present continuous tense "are peaking out" makes option E wrong.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [2]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:

(A) encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses are peeking out

(B) encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out

(C) had encountered native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, whose eyes and noses peek out

(D) encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses peeking out

(E) encounter native crocodiles lurking in the shallows, with eyes and noses that are peeking out

In the original sentence, the modifier “whose eyes and noses are peaking out…” incorrectly refers to “shallows.” When used to introduce a noun modifier, “whose” always refers to the immediately preceding noun. In this case, the author intends to refer to the “crocodiles,” not the “shallows.”

(A) This choice is incorrect as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The modifier “whose eyes and noses peak out…” incorrectly refers to “shallows.” When used to introduce a noun modifier, “whose” always refers to the immediately preceding noun. In this case, the author intends to refer to the “crocodiles,” not the “shallows.” Further, the past tense “encountered” is inconsistent with the present tense “participate.” When there is no compelling reason to change tenses, consistency is preferred. Also, the past tense “encountered” seems to imply that these encounters have already happened. However, it is clear from the original sentence that the encounters are ongoing occurrences for “vacationers who participate in guided boat tours.”

(C) The modifier “whose eyes and noses peak out…” incorrectly refers to “shallows.” When used to introduce a noun modifier, “whose” always refers to the immediately preceding noun. In this case, the author intends to refer to the “crocodiles,” not the “shallows.” Further, the past perfect “had encountered” is used incorrectly. The past perfect tense should only be used to specify the first of two past events. Here, there are no past events.

(D) CORRECT. The adverbial modifier “with eyes and noses peaking out” correctly modifies the verb "lurking." As this example shows, adverbial modifiers do not need to be placed adjacent to the verbs they modify. Further, the present tense “encounter” is consistent with the present tense “participate.”

(E) While the adverbial modifier “with eyes and noses that are peaking out” correctly modifies the verb "lurking," this phrasing is unnecessarily wordy. The more concise “with eyes and noses peaking out” is preferred.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
I read somewhere on this forum that a "preposition + noun + participle phrase" is an incorrect structure. In option D, how can a "with + eyes and noses + peeking" be a correct structure?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
TommyWallach

i am still confused why option E is wrong, just because of use of That or it is not concise...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
i agree that shallows is the noun adjacent to whose. Hence Band C are wrong but isn't "in the shallows" prepositional phrase and whose does not modify the prepositional phrase.

Can some one please clear?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
In my understanding B is wrong for tense error, not for modifier error.

Whose is correctly modifying crocodile and this is example of exception of touch rule.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Many daring vacationers who [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Many daring vacationers who [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts