Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!! [#permalink]
HSidhu89 wrote:
booyashaka wrote:
HYDRA wrote:
Any updates from Stefanie Hanny?

Same here. No news yet. Is it game over?

Anyone heard from Stefanie Hanny yet?

The delay is freaking me out.

SH is my AO too. No news yet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all INSEAD Applicants (Sept 2016 Intake) Class of July 2017!! [#permalink]
Kudos
HSidhu89 wrote:
booyashaka wrote:
HYDRA wrote:
Any updates from Stefanie Hanny?

Same here. No news yet. Is it game over?

Anyone heard from Stefanie Hanny yet?

The delay is freaking me out.

As per the previous posts on this and last years forums, invites from SH tend to come nearer to the deadlines.... so fingers crossed everyone and all the best!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
xyeek wrote:
ubii88 wrote:

Thanks for sharing! From your information I can infer that although the payment was due in Jan 22nd, some candidates can still accept the offer a few days later? Interesting!

Yes it does seem that there is a little bit of leeway to confirm your acceptance and pay the deposit. The deposit is fairly substantial and there isn't a whole lot of time given to pay it really if you're from a country where average salary and cost of living is lower than the EU. As such, it makes sense that they be a bit flexible.

Looking at MBAConnect, there are 292 for the 17J class, which should be those who have accepted as INSEAD removes those who confirmed non-acceptance from the directory.

Could your provide MBAConnect numbers for Chinese and Indians. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Did anyone hear from AO CT ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Got off the round 2 wait list ........got the call today . Super excited ! Starting at Fonty campus !!
MBA Section Director
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rrhr123 wrote:
Got off the round 2 wait list ........got the call today . Super excited ! Starting at Fonty campus !!

Wow..Congrats!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dinged without interview. AO was AN but the mail was sent by VF.....

Good luck to all of you and if you need a good employee after your INSEAD graduation contact me :-D
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Delgardo15 wrote:
Dinged without interview. AO was AN but the mail was sent by VF.....

Good luck to all of you and if you need a good employee after your INSEAD graduation contact me :-D

Oh man tough luck. All the best for the rest of your applications.
I guess I can expect a ding too.. Doesn't look too promising. Ah well =)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:

Thanks man. It's okay. I have already one admission from another bs and still waiting for the interview result of 3 other bs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.88
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
HYDRA wrote:

Could your provide MBAConnect numbers for Chinese and Indians. Thanks!

There are 21 Chinese and 33 Indians on MBA Connect for Class of 17J.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ShephardCommander wrote:

The deadline for invites is still a couple days away so don't give up yet! If R1 is anything to go by, invites from SH's region normally come out pretty late. Hang in there :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM
xyeek wrote:
ShephardCommander wrote:

The deadline for invites is still a couple days away so don't give up yet! If R1 is anything to go by, invites from SH's region normally come out pretty late. Hang in there :)

Wouldn't the e-mail come irrespective of an interview invite?

thanks,
SG
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q39 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.42
WE:Analyst (Health Care)
Send PM
Thrilled to have gotten the call from VF on 9 Feb (after being Waitlisted from R2) for a spot in Fonty this Sept as well!!

I'm wondering about 2 things though:

1) My dateline for a reply is this Friday 12 Feb but I would like to ask for an extension as my managers are all out of town this week and I would like to have a chat with them about this before giving a final, calculated decision. Would asking for an extension risk anything?

2) Would I still be qualified for the scholarships which I applied for in R2? Was really hoping to be one of the 20-25% who receive scholarship of some sort to help pull me through!

Barring an extraordinary circumstance, I'm definitely mostly likely going to accept but will be most grateful for any additional insights!

My profile just FYI:

Singaporean Female
GMAT: 690
6 years working experience in Consulting, Corporate Innovation, Health Tech

Thanks in advance from a very grateful person :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog: Echoes of Islamic Finance in Piketty, Porter, and Lagarde
For most people when hearing about Islamic finance for the first time, the new term usually begs the question, “What’s different about Islamic finance compared to regular finance?” I get asked this question quite often, and it’s difficult to know where to begin and how deeply to delve into the details. During our second week of P3 in Abu Dhabi, we had a guest lecturer from the Department of Economic Development for the Government of Dubai, Harun Kapetanovic, deliver a talk that I hoped would help me answer the question more succinctly. What I took away from Kapetanovic’s lecture, however, was not a concise encyclopedic way to explaining the characteristics that delineate Islamic finance from conventional finance. Rather, his talk offered a more compelling way to place Islamic finance in the context of the global financial system by showing how the principles that underpin Islamic finance have been echoed in other schools of economic thought.

For instance, Thomas Piketty, whose book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century, proposes an economic plan to reduce the widening inequality gap, supports a wealth tax. For those with wealth between €1m – €5m, Piketty proposes a 1% tax, and for those with > €5m, a 2% wealth tax.

Piketty’s tax echoes the practice of zakat, often translated as “alms,” which is one of the five pillars of Islam. Zakat is calculated as 2.5% of wealth that goes above one’s basic needs. Kapetanovic was careful to distinguish zakat from tax, pointing out that nobody is checking to make sure that you are paying your zakat annually. In the UAE, there is a national Zakat Fund, and while it is considered mandatory according to Shari’ah, it is paid voluntarily and not legally binding.

An Islamic financial system, in Kapetanovic’s words, should integrate social and economic objectives, and achieving a more equitable distribution of wealth is the principle one of the macro-objectives of zakat. The implication of such a system means that the wealthy classes cannot rest on their wealth. Simply to maintain their wealth, they must grow it by 2.5% every year without interest, which incentivizes them to circulate their wealth back into the economy through profitable, asset-backed investments.

Kapetanovic referred to other figures, such as Michael Porter and Christine Lagarde, who have made statements that align very closely with the principles of Islamic finance. Porter, for example, has highlighted the inherent interdependence of business and society, and decried the common approach to corporate social responsibility, which treats it as an afterthought that pits business and society against one another. Rather, he posits, social responsibility should be more central to corporate missions. This is also consistent with the principles of Islamic finance.

Christine Lagarde has recently stated that, “the international monetary system would benefit from a higher share of equity compared with debt flows,” which is an integral element of Islamic finance and one that shielded Islamic capital from the 2008 financial crisis.

When asked about the differences between Islamic and conventional finance, it’s tempting to simply explain how Islamic finance functions without interest, or what sukukare. To properly explain the philosophy of Islamic finance, however, Kapetanovic reminded us of the need to zoom out, see the greater picture, and consider the ability of Islamic economic theory to address some of our global economic woes.

source: Vaibhav Arora
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
FROM Insead Admissions Blog1: Echoes of Islamic Finance in Piketty, Porter, and Lagarde
For most people when hearing about Islamic finance for the first time, the new term usually begs the question, “What’s different about Islamic finance compared to regular finance?” I get asked this question quite often, and it’s difficult to know where to begin and how deeply to delve into the details. During our second week of P3 in Abu Dhabi, we had a guest lecturer from the Department of Economic Development for the Government of Dubai, Harun Kapetanovic, deliver a talk that I hoped would help me answer the question more succinctly. What I took away from Kapetanovic’s lecture, however, was not a concise encyclopedic way to explaining the characteristics that delineate Islamic finance from conventional finance. Rather, his talk offered a more compelling way to place Islamic finance in the context of the global financial system by showing how the principles that underpin Islamic finance have been echoed in other schools of economic thought.

For instance, Thomas Piketty, whose book, Capital in the Twenty-First Century, proposes an economic plan to reduce the widening inequality gap, supports a wealth tax. For those with wealth between €1m – €5m, Piketty proposes a 1% tax, and for those with > €5m, a 2% wealth tax.

Piketty’s tax echoes the practice of zakat, often translated as “alms,” which is one of the five pillars of Islam. Zakat is calculated as 2.5% of wealth that goes above one’s basic needs. Kapetanovic was careful to distinguish zakat from tax, pointing out that nobody is checking to make sure that you are paying your zakat annually. In the UAE, there is a national Zakat Fund, and while it is considered mandatory according to Shari’ah, it is paid voluntarily and not legally binding.

An Islamic financial system, in Kapetanovic’s words, should integrate social and economic objectives, and achieving a more equitable distribution of wealth is the principle one of the macro-objectives of zakat. The implication of such a system means that the wealthy classes cannot rest on their wealth. Simply to maintain their wealth, they must grow it by 2.5% every year without interest, which incentivizes them to circulate their wealth back into the economy through profitable, asset-backed investments.

Kapetanovic referred to other figures, such as Michael Porter and Christine Lagarde, who have made statements that align very closely with the principles of Islamic finance. Porter, for example, has highlighted the inherent interdependence of business and society, and decried the common approach to corporate social responsibility, which treats it as an afterthought that pits business and society against one another. Rather, he posits, social responsibility should be more central to corporate missions. This is also consistent with the principles of Islamic finance.

Christine Lagarde has recently stated that, “the international monetary system would benefit from a higher share of equity compared with debt flows,” which is an integral element of Islamic finance and one that shielded Islamic capital from the 2008 financial crisis.

When asked about the differences between Islamic and conventional finance, it’s tempting to simply explain how Islamic finance functions without interest, or what sukukare. To properly explain the philosophy of Islamic finance, however, Kapetanovic reminded us of the need to zoom out, see the greater picture, and consider the ability of Islamic economic theory to address some of our global economic woes.

source: Vaibhav Arora
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
Send PM
Hi,

Could someone let me know when the AOs are assigned? I applied in mid-dec but no AO yet.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
akshaytewari wrote:
Hi,

Could someone let me know when the AOs are assigned? I applied in mid-dec but no AO yet.

Thanks!

AO is the one who contacted you via mail to intimate regarding the completeness of your application. Check your inbox
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27  ...  30   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts