Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 230 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Kudos
jjg410 wrote:
This may be too detailed of a question, but is there any strategy for choosing a day for the on-campus TBD interview? I'm thinking of scheduling two weeks from now so that I have time to prepare, but is this a situation similar to Columbia where the earlier the better?

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum and its contributors for all of the help along the way!

When I interviewed at Wharton, I really got the impression that the interview is a relatively smaller component of the admissions process than it is at other schools. This is not to say it is not important, it is, it just means that given the format it is hard to really help your candidacy, though you can of course really hurt your chances.

The big things they look for are ability to communicate/command of the language, and ability to not be a jerk or rude. The dean of student life told me their system rewards extroverts.

You will see when you walk into the waiting room with like 30 other applicants and then after the group component when you spent like 4 minutes one-on-one with someone that they cannot possibly attribute much of their decision making to the exercise...

Of course, I am sure people will disagree with this, but just my opinion...
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
jjg410 wrote:
This may be too detailed of a question, but is there any strategy for choosing a day for the on-campus TBD interview? I'm thinking of scheduling two weeks from now so that I have time to prepare, but is this a situation similar to Columbia where the earlier the better?

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum and its contributors for all of the help along the way!

Two weeks is the amount of time I recommend my clients to prepare, so you have the right idea. Earlier is not necessarily better, though if you don't have to wait until the last day, you should not wait that long.

Good luck preparing! The Wharton TBD is fun and should feel natural, but it is certainly different from the other interviews so if you need any tips, let me know. Congrats on the invite!

Best,
Scott
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jjg410 wrote:

I know, good problem to have :-D . Thanks to this forum

and its contributors for all of the help along the way!

No, there is no such benefit of interviewing earlier. Columbia employs a rolling admissions process and thus the need to schedule an interview earlier than later. There is no such requirement for Wharton and all interviews are evaluated equally.

Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Latin America: My New “Frontier” in Business School
Something I have learned about myself is that I’m curious enough about most things in life to try them once. Often, this is in the form of travel – intentionally going somewhere I know I will be uncomfortable, trying a food that I cannot pronounce the name of, and immersing…Read More

The post Latin America: My New “Frontier” in Business School appeared first on MBA Program.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: Q162 V168
GPA: 3.85
WE:Project Management (Internet and New Media)
Hi, are there any Wharton applicants who have received nothing today? No invite! No ding! What should I do?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
abgirl wrote:
Congratulation to all the applicants who got the interview. I wish you good luck.

Did you get the invite ?

No, got dinged.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Interview invite here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
got an invite here. GL to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.94
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Dinged, and assuming because of my story/goals. Makes me worry about the other schools...

Good luck to the rest of you all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Expert Reply
vkun wrote:
Hi, are there any Wharton applicants who have received nothing today? No invite! No ding! What should I do?

This is quite unusual. You should send the adcom an email asap to check what happened.
Hope you receive positive news tomorrow. Keep us updated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Got an interview invite!
Lauder Portuguese-track applicant from Argentina
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and a hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.
But as their alma matter(s) didn't agree ... Wharton, HBS, MIT (Invite->reject from Stanford) ... I suppose either things are really random in admissions process or students/alumni don't understand the selection either. :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
brio wrote:
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and an hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.
But as their alma matter(s) didn't agree ... Wharton, HBS, MIT (Invite->reject from Stanford) ... I suppose either things are really random in admissions process or students/alumni don't understand the selection either. :(

Sorry to hear about your ding but there are many other variables that come into the picture other than your application, class diversity is one of the major ones. Alumni can not comment on this aspect as only the adcoms would know how many of a particular "pool" have they selected or how many more from the same pool can be accommodated in a given round of applications. You come from a very competitive and over represented pool of Indian engineers (correct me if I am wrong) and as such there will be many with 750 and above GMAT, 3.7+ GPAs, stellar recommendations and extracurriculars. So only a handful of people from this pool can be selected for any given class in the top schools. I too belong to this pool and got dinged after interview at Wharton in R1. Although I did my UG from India, I had more than enough things to differentiate my profile from the usual Indian engineer applications. But the adcom had other ideas.

The thing going for you is that your stats are great. It is only a matter of time that you will convert one of your choice schools. Your conversations with Alumni helped you in understanding the culture at Wharton, what is stands for etc. But I dont think any alumnus/na will guarantee you a seat in the class based on your interaction with them as every individual comes into a bschool with a different set of targets to achieve. Everyone does this much of work for their applications. At the end of the day you just need to play your cards correctly and hope that your luck is running wild on that particular day!

Good luck with your other applications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
brio wrote:
Dinged w/o interview.
I had talked to almost 70 alumni overall, and apart from 1-2, everyone suggested I bring in lot of value from my accomplishments, initiatives and an hands-on niche tech (not IT) background to the class.

Sorry to hear about your ding but there are many other variables that come into the picture other than your application, class diversity is one of the major ones. Alumni can not comment on this aspect as only the adcoms would know how many of a particular "pool" have they selected or how many more from the same pool can be accommodated in a given round of applications. You come from a very competitive and over represented pool of Indian engineers (correct me if I am wrong) and as such there will be many with 750 and above GMAT, 3.7+ GPAs, stellar recommendations and extracurriculars. So only a handful of people from this pool can be selected for any given class in the top schools. I too belong to this pool and got dinged after interview at Wharton in R1. Although I did my UG from India, I had more than enough things to differentiate my profile from the usual Indian engineer applications. But the adcom had other ideas.

The thing going for you is that your stats are great. It is only a matter of time that you will convert one of your choice schools. Your conversations with Alumni helped you in understanding the culture at Wharton, what is stands for etc. But I dont think any alumnus/na will guarantee you a seat in the class based on your interaction with them as every individual comes into a bschool with a different set of targets to achieve. Everyone does this much of work for their applications. At the end of the day you just need to play your cards correctly and hope that your luck is running wild on that particular day!

Good luck with your other applications.

This is a great answer. Class diversity plays so much more of a role than I ever expected it to
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q170 V160
Send PM
Dinged as expected.
I guess I am aging very fast. With 31+ it was anyway doubtful at Wharton. Plus Indian pool as Engr2012 mentioned.
But why does most or all of the schools in US see age so negatively, unlike European ones?
Dinged from CBS, Booth and Wharton. At least I was expecting an invite from Booth!!!
Lrts Let's see what other 3 schools have got for me besides age issue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
Concentration: Operations, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.83
Send PM
It just seems like 30+ is automatic rejection. I am in the same boat (33 years old). Got ding from CBS, HBS, and Wharton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Lazure wrote:
Dinged ! Like other people I saw my decision letter in the portal.

Noidea1234 and YumBeeA : I think that it's actually a good sign if you don't see anything in the portal. Hang in there !

Good luck to all !

You were right. Invited. Second time in a row. Hope I will be lucky second time. It has been a really painful 1.5 years. All the best to all here.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  29   30   31   32   33   34   35  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts