Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [38]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [8]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
tricky one indeed...
IMO B
b) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit's landmarks and artifacts that is creating
has and is - correct tense for "achievements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements [#permalink]
Kudos
This is so similar to the Official question that I came across some time back: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sukanyar wrote:
This is so similar to the Official question that I came across some time back: Out of America's fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the claw-footed bathtub.

Yes, subject-verb flip is a trap that GMAC uses occasionally. Our familiarity with the normal order of subject preceding verb may mislead us into identifying the subject wrongly. In majority of such cases the other contending (but wrong) subject(s) would generally be within a prepositional phrase before the verb.

In this case, the other contenders "pride" and "achievements" are within a prepositional phrases starting with "Out of...".

In the OG case you mentioned, the other contenders "fascination" and "all things antique" are within a prepositional phrases starting with "Out of...".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is "

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please elaborate more about this? What would the normal sentence looks like?
I still can't follow how to reach such conclusion as I am having a problem with the re-inverted sentence,especially the placement of "that".

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Out of a growing pride in the region's pre-automotive achievements [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is "

Hi mikemcgarry,
Could you please elaborate more about this? What would the normal sentence looks like?
I still can't follow how to reach such conclusion as I am having a problem with the re-inverted sentence,especially the placement of "that".

Dear sleepynut,

I'm happy to respond. :-) I must confess, I am not sure exactly what you are asking.

The OA has somewhat unusual word order, a word order typical of more sophisticated writing.
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city.
Notice that every before the verb is a series of prepositional phrases. There's no legitimate candidate for the subject, no freestanding noun, until we get to the word "committee." Thus, the word "committee" must be the subject.

Notice that "committee" is the only freestanding noun in the sentence until the word "that." You have to have the ability to set aside prepositional phrases and see the core grammatical structure of a sentence:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating monuments and museums across the city

This is a "normal" sentence, normal for sophisticated writing.

My friend, it seems you are looking for clear rules you can use, and to master sentences of this sort, you need to develop the habit of reading.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

Dear nahid78,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I usually am a fan of Veritas questions, but I am not sure that I approve of this one. This one has a rather unconventional sentence structure, one that I think would be unlikely to appear on the GMAT.

Of course the topic is Detroit, the largest US city every to file bankruptcy.

You see, in the sentence the subject appears AFTER the verb. This is a somewhat colloquial structure, common in American journalist.
"Out of X has developed [subject] . . . "

The main subject of the sentence is "a committee." This is singular, so demands a singular verb, "has developed." (D) & (E) are out.

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is creating," not "are creating" or "create." We can eliminate all four incorrect choices on the basis of SVA.

The question is just a bit too colloquial for my tastes, and once one unpacks what's going on, it's a one-trick pony. Not a horrible question, but not Veritas' best.

Here's a solid SC practice question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3215
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video solution.

thank you for your explanation. it seems to be a new knowledge to me. the sad thing is I still don't understand the meaning of the sentence. could you please paraphrase it in a more straightforward way.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [2]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
Out of a growing pride in the region’s pre-automotive achievements have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating monuments and museums across the city.

(A) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(B) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that is creating
(C) has developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create
(D) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that are creating
(E) have developed a committee for the preservation of Detroit’s landmarks and artifacts that create

Explain please...

Dear nahid78,
I'm happy to respond. :-) I usually am a fan of Veritas questions, but I am not sure that I approve of this one. This one has a rather unconventional sentence structure, one that I think would be unlikely to appear on the GMAT.

Of course the topic is Detroit, the largest US city every to file bankruptcy.

You see, in the sentence the subject appears AFTER the verb. This is a somewhat colloquial structure, common in American journalist.
"Out of X has developed [subject] . . . "

The main subject of the sentence is "a committee." This is singular, so demands a singular verb, "has developed." (D) & (E) are out.

This "committee" is also the target of the modifier clause that begins with "that." Thus, we need a singular verb----"is creating," not "are creating" or "create." We can eliminate all four incorrect choices on the basis of SVA.

The question is just a bit too colloquial for my tastes, and once one unpacks what's going on, it's a one-trick pony. Not a horrible question, but not Veritas' best.

Here's a solid SC practice question:
https://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3215
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a video solution.

Hi Mike,

Happy new year :)

The question above seems modeled after the following official question. I usually notice that Veritas tries to mimic the OG questions. It seems that GMAT test makers sometimes use colloquial language.

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]