Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 117
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.72
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Calling all CEIBS(Shanghai) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Anybody else applied/applying in round 1?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Calling all CEIBS(Shanghai) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2018!! [#permalink]
Just got a mail from the AdCom. Admitted to CEIBS class of 2018 :)

Good luck to the others!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Hello all, my name is Oojin and I am a first year student at CEIBS. Originally from the United States, I studied international economics and politics in New York, and then worked in logistics (container, and project) in Korea for 4 years. I came to CEIBS to change industry, location, and even function. My other choices were primarily in Asia (INSEAD, HKUST, etc), and I inevitably chose CEIBS for its greater connection to industry, entrepreneurship, and the vast Chinese market--with which Korea pales.
I live about 10 minutes from campus by scooter, which can be a pain because I'm here all day every day. Not that being here all day is a chore. I have class all day, then meetings with groups or clubs, finish whatever work needs to be done, and then hang out in the student lounge that I helped get renovated by Corona with really good friends. I enjoy it. I probably should have lived on campus.
With the drop in growth of China's GDP, people may think the sky is falling here. Sure there are jobs being lost, but these are mostly in manufacturing labor. In fact, companies are looking for high skilled talent to move up the value chain.
My honest opinion is that an MBA experience is completely up to you. There are many tools and resources that any top notch program will offer--its only a matter of choosing which ones you want and how you use them that make all the difference. I love being in Asia and plan to work here for many years to come. CEIBS has the largest MBA network in China, and through the school organized mentor and alumni programs I'm learning how to utilize it well. Again, every school has its pros and cons, and I will do my best to answer any questions here.

Thanks.
Oojin
Manager
Manager
Send PM
omud wrote:
Hello all, my name is Oojin and I am a first year student at CEIBS. Originally from the United States, I studied international economics and politics in New York, and then worked in logistics (container, and project) in Korea for 4 years. I came to CEIBS to change industry, location, and even function. My other choices were primarily in Asia (INSEAD, HKUST, etc), and I inevitably chose CEIBS for its greater connection to industry, entrepreneurship, and the vast Chinese market--with which Korea pales.
I live about 10 minutes from campus by scooter, which can be a pain because I'm here all day every day. Not that being here all day is a chore. I have class all day, then meetings with groups or clubs, finish whatever work needs to be done, and then hang out in the student lounge that I helped get renovated by Corona with really good friends. I enjoy it. I probably should have lived on campus.
With the drop in growth of China's GDP, people may think the sky is falling here. Sure there are jobs being lost, but these are mostly in manufacturing labor. In fact, companies are looking for high skilled talent to move up the value chain.
My honest opinion is that an MBA experience is completely up to you. There are many tools and resources that any top notch program will offer--its only a matter of choosing which ones you want and how you use them that make all the difference. I love being in Asia and plan to work here for many years to come. CEIBS has the largest MBA network in China, and through the school organized mentor and alumni programs I'm learning how to utilize it well. Again, every school has its pros and cons, and I will do my best to answer any questions here.

Thanks.
Oojin

Nice one Oojin.

I was originally going to apply to CEIBS but didn't notice much user engagement on here and so put that off.

Pray tell, how are the scholarships at CEIBS? Generous?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.4
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi omud,

I am Sai Kiran from Mumbai.
I come from healthcare industry with both brand management and advertising experience.

I have just applied in R2 and got shortlisted for the interview. I have my interview on 27th Jan'16.

Your opinion about the graduate school has definitely helped me from an Asian perspective who has multiple offers and that too from the best of the lot.

Hoping to put the best foot forward in my interview.

Have a great day.

Regards
Sai Kiran
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
IgboRobinHood: Scholarships are indeed generous and played an important role in my decision. Harvard has its famous $30B endowment--CEIBS has the Chinese government. There is a list of some of the possible scholarships under the financial aid tab of the CEIBS website.
The school scholarships do not require any additional application, and can be very favorable to international students. They are mostly merit, not need, based.
The corporate scholarships are generally more geared towards a specific demographic, many Chinese. But you can still apply to many of them.

saikiransomala: Good luck on your interview. My advice is be interesting, confident, and yourself (if you are not interesting or confident, then perhaps be a little less of yourself on that day). For some reason CEIBS does not advertise its close relationship with the health industry here, but if you are interested in that there are always health, pharma, bio-tech companies visiting our campus. China is getting old and global health care companies want young managers here.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi omud,

I am indeed highly focused to get an admit at CEIBS.
Thanks for your kind advise and tips to face the admissions interview.

Will keep those crucial things in mind during the interview.

Indeed China as a country is opening gates to innovation and inviting MNCs to partner with local players. Will seize the opportunity.

Regards
Sai Kiran
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools: CEIBS '18 (A)
Send PM
Got admitted with Scholarship - R2
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Congratulations.

Even I got the admit from CEIBS.

Let's get connected.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
aksharaajith wrote:
Got admitted with Scholarship - R2

Full scholarship or partial? if you care to share

rgds
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congratulations to all admits!! Thanks for keeping us posted.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CEIBS '18 (A)
Send PM
Hi

Its Partial!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
omud wrote:

Thanks.
Oojin

Thanks for the feedback Ooijin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
To MBA or not to MBA – that is the question.

The MBA has a lot of critics. Many say that it’s an outdated qualification that has no real value in today’s business world which requires highly specialized skills. I, however, disagree with this wholeheartedly. I chose to do my MBA in China simply because being around like-minded people, yet in a completely new environment is opening doors to opportunities that I would never have otherwise had the chance to experience. Everyday my mind is being stretched and exposed to new industries and ways of thinking.

I decided to do my MBA at Chine Europe International School (CEIBS) in particular because of the truly unique experience that it offers – an MBA taught in English by professors from all over the world in the dynamic and exciting metropolis that is Shanghai, which sits on edge of the largest and most economically exciting country on earth. In the last 6 months I have learned about the Chinese people – how they think and what they value – I have been able to create my own first-hand understanding of this often-misunderstood country. I have had a chance to appreciate the differences between the West and the East, and I have expanded my network to more nationalities and industries than I ever thought possible.

Take what happened to me just this morning as a perfect example – I am currently in Hong Kong for the Chinese New Year holiday and through a professor I got in touch with the Director of Structured Investments of one of China’s largest Private Equity firms. We had an interesting discussion about an industry that I did not even know existed – hydroponic agriculture. Another recent example that has been of great value to me is the endless business competitions that are available for us to compete in at CEIBS. Even with no experience in the consulting industry, I was able to work with people who do have experience in the industry and understand their approach in terms of way of thinking and presenting deliverables. The point is, without an MBA from CEIBS I would never have been able to gain access to such people and information. Like everything, the whole experience does have its drawbacks but these are nothing in comparison to what I have gained thus far on this journey.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rmmelwani wrote:
To MBA or not to MBA – that is the question.

The MBA has a lot of critics. Many say that it’s an outdated qualification that has no real value in today’s business world which requires highly specialized skills. I, however, disagree with this wholeheartedly. I chose to do my MBA in China simply because being around like-minded people, yet in a completely new environment is opening doors to opportunities that I would never have otherwise had the chance to experience. Everyday my mind is being stretched and exposed to new industries and ways of thinking.

I decided to do my MBA at Chine Europe International School (CEIBS) in particular because of the truly unique experience that it offers – an MBA taught in English by professors from all over the world in the dynamic and exciting metropolis that is Shanghai, which sits on edge of the largest and most economically exciting country on earth. In the last 6 months I have learned about the Chinese people – how they think and what they value – I have been able to create my own first-hand understanding of this often-misunderstood country. I have had a chance to appreciate the differences between the West and the East, and I have expanded my network to more nationalities and industries than I ever thought possible.

Take what happened to me just this morning as a perfect example – I am currently in Hong Kong for the Chinese New Year holiday and through a professor I got in touch with the Director of Structured Investments of one of China’s largest Private Equity firms. We had an interesting discussion about an industry that I did not even know existed – hydroponic agriculture. Another recent example that has been of great value to me is the endless business competitions that are available for us to compete in at CEIBS. Even with no experience in the consulting industry, I was able to work with people who do have experience in the industry and understand their approach in terms of way of thinking and presenting deliverables. The point is, without an MBA from CEIBS I would never have been able to gain access to such people and information. Like everything, the whole experience does have its drawbacks but these are nothing in comparison to what I have gained thus far on this journey.

Hi rmmelwani,

You have exactly nailed the point.
The overall experience in MBA from a global school is truely unmatched.

And colleges such as CEIBS definitely fit the purpose. In addition to the brand equity, CEIBS provides access to the future global market in various industries.

I am lucky to have an admit from CEIBS.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I am no clairvoyant, but to lead an organization has been a secret harboured ambition of mine. Towards that I choose technology to specialize in.

I, Mohit Juneja, CEIBS MBA class of 2017, a technocrat, an entrepreneur, and an innovator from India chose CEIBS as my first choice over US and Canadian schools for not only CEIBS has best rankings in Asia, but also it provides the most exhaustive network of future employers. Before MBA, I worked as an enabler to Consumer Electronics industry for more than 4 years and post MBA I plan to become the provider of those technologies. The jump from technology enabler to technology business provider can only be achieved by developing a business acumen.

CEIBS is providing me plenty of opportunities to exercise leadership. I have been involved in promoting CEIBS brand globally. Serving as an ambassador, I setup the CEIBS Outreach Partners that continuously serves to improve the position and competition. Also, I am involved in leading Innovation Club at CEIBS, a club aimed to foster the innovation spirt in the student body. Last but not least, CEIBS campus is beautiful, Shanghai is refreshing and China is crazy. My Chinese experience has been interesting and I learn a lot from both insiders and outsiders.

Even though the Chinese market news around is a bit demotivating for all, but at least for MBAs it’s a good news. MBAs can hope to showcase the skills realtime and help recover the Chinese businesses and economy. I am very positive to launch second phase of my career in China.

My advice to prospective candidates— Learn Mandarin, Network Well and Have Fun!

Connect me at jmohit.m17@ceibs.edu or post your queries here.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Home away from home, From Africa to China – Life at CEIBS : By Samwel Odundo, MBA2017

6 months have passed since my graduate school life began, but here I was celebrating Chinese New Year. Shanghai, the city buzzing with activities, was at a standstill at around 11p.m on the eve of the New Year. My 2 colleagues (from Brazil and Nepal) and I were from a group dinner hosted by one of our Chinese class-mates at his residence. This was a normal show of togetherness in China as our friend hosted us, amongst other international colleagues to share in ushering in the New Year.
And reflecting back on the journey that has been from Africa to China, Shanghai and in particular CEIBS has been my second home. Nonetheless, this journey began a year before in 2014, when I had the privilege to attend CEIBS Pre-MBA boot camp. For me, the visit then was purely for tour purpose. However, at the end of mixing it up with ambitious fellow peers and top-level faculty, I decided to rethink the opportunity at hand. It was on my flight back to Nairobi after the boot camp that I made a resolve to return to CEIBS, and now this is my home for the MBA journey, and who knows what next...
And just as a home is not in the living quarters alone, I got to quickly establish friendship with my new classmates from all over the globe. This was like a record-play at the inception meeting: Hello, where are you from, industry background and the whole “pleasure to meet you” catch-phrase. From the initial exchanges, I was at least able to remember a number of my class-mates names courtesy of Wechat, China’s social networking application. Little did I know how Wechat would deeply form part of my lifestyle till date. I was so used to https://gmatclub.com/chat back home in Africa, but China introduced me to a new level of social networking bringing people closer together.
From when my MBA program rolled out till date, I have been able to build on my friendships to make CEIBS a true home. For the most part of it, cross-cultural understanding with the aid of learning Mandarin has facilitated this. As a football fanatic, the newly built football pitch at the school mirrors my weekend life in Kenya. The chance to blow off the academic steam off at the pitch with colleagues, even at -20C during winter, is fantastic. And definitely, Shanghai night life is always buzzing with activities throughout the week. Of course, bar for the Chinese New Year. As from March, we proceed to the 2nd phase of applying what we’ve learnt in the program to solve organization-specific problems. This is through the Integrated China Strategy Project. After all, my new home has let me embrace “China Depth, Global Breadth”.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts