Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V38
WE:Other (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Live Chat with Cambridge (Judge) Admissions Manager

Hello Guys, We will have a live chat with Cambridge admissions representative on March 3rd. Event details are below. Do add the event to your Google calendar and present in the chat room on March 3rd with your questions

Day and Date: March 03, 2016, Thursday.
Time: 2 PM GMT (4 PM CapeTown, 6 PM Dubai, and 7:30 PM India)
Place: GMAT Club Chat Room https://gmatclub.com/gchat/
Presenter: Charlotte Russell-Green, Cambridge MBA Admissions Manager

Charlotte is Admissions Manager for the MBA at Cambridge Judge Business School. She has a wealth of experience in advising candidates, having previously managed activities on the QS World MBA Tour. She regularly offers guidance on CVs and profiles to Cambridge MBA candidates.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Calling all Judge(Cambridge) Applicants: (2016 Intake) Class of 2017!! [#permalink]
Hi, I have a silly question to ask (but it's better to ask, then to guess it)

word limit in Judge Essays, based on different consultant's and agencies's inputs (Ad cons are ok with + 10%; i.e. if it's 500 words max, you can go 550, best to be under 500, but better to be at max 530 say)

in CJBS I see different wordings used for describing limits in the application MBA essays (refer highlighted) causing some doubts in my mind. for

1> most spectacular failure? (up to 200 words)
2> personal statement. (It should not exceed 500 words)

both my essay's are approx 5% more than required limit, Any suggestions?

Originally posted by UJs on 02 Mar 2016, 00:57.
Last edited by UJs on 10 Mar 2016, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Does anybody know what time the application deadline for Judge closes on any given round? Is it 23:59, as with most other schools?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Guys, Posting here transcript of recent Cambridge live chat.

Attachment:
JBS Admissions Chat 3rd March 16.pdf [315.54 KiB]
Downloaded 113 times
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Any interview call for R4
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Nothing as yet....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I had requested the adcom team to update my application with something and got a reply stating that my application is updated and .....

We will be in touch no later than next week with the outcome of the Round 4 applications.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Any R4 call yet? I have heard that they have sent rejection e-mails :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Hi, I was admitted in R2 but managed to extend my deadline for deposit quite easily.

They didn't seem to make a big deal of it and were relaxed about the deadline extension. With regards to the bursary, you get an email almost immediately after the offer letter!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Indian applicant here
Is it advisable to apply in the final round for cambridge MBA? Or is it too late for international applicants??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
I think strength of your profile will matter more than anything!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: What this season’s Premiership title race can teach us about spotting and nurturing talent
By now, even non-football fans would have read about the incredible exploits of Leicester City Football Club. Rated 5000-1 outsiders by bookies before the season, they completed an amazing year-long turnaround from being bottom of the table at one point last season, to winning the title with 3 games to spare. This is a team that was assembled on a budget at a fraction of the top teams. In fact, Leicester City became the first team outside the top 5 wage paying clubs to win the Premiership (I am not including the time before the Premiership started) — Leicester was in the bottom 5 in terms of wage spent. This is remarkable given that the wage bill is the top determinant of a team’s final position in the table.

Leicester’s accomplishment has overshadowed what, in any other season, would have been the fairytale story of the year. That of my beloved Tottenham Hotspur who exceeded everyone’s expectations and not only qualified for next year’s Champions League, but with one game to go, will finish no lower than third, which would be their highest spot for decades. Again, the team achieved this with a wage bill, while much larger than Leicester City’s, is not in the top five.

Both clubs have achieved their results with a mix of talent and incredible team work. Leicester’s team comprises journeymen from other clubs who clicked and under the leadership of their manager, believed in the team ethic over their individual objectives. That is not to say that their players are not individual talents. One of them was rewarded with the the Player of the Year award from fellow professionals and their top scorer is a nail on addition to England’s Euro 2016 squad. But it is incredible how many of their players were written by other clubs before this season. As for Tottenham, their manager moulded a young team to his philosophy of a tireless work ethic and a willingness to promote from the youth ranks if a player was good enough.

I was reflecting on this while watching Spurs’ last home game of the season yesterday. In particular, I remember an open discussion on Reddit with the man who is in charge of Tottenham’s youth development. I had expected him to talk mostly about how to spot and develop talent but he devoted the entire hour to talk about identifying and developing character. He talked about how a great footballer would play 800 games in his career, of which 200 of those he might be a 10 out of 10 player; another 200 would be 7 or 8 out of 10; and the remaining 400 he would be just horrible. The Spurs coach saw his job as helping young players develop the mental strength to go through and bounce back from those 400 poor games. He also gave the example of a player who was deemed unsuitable and cut from the development team when he was just a young teenager but he refused to leave. He came back every day to the training centre and pleaded his case. His coaches were impressed with his resilience and took him back and he has since played for England’s national team.

The coach also talked about all the players who made the jump from the youth team to play for Tottenham’s senior team. But he also said that for every one of these successful players, there were 10 others who didn’t make the grade. This was not news to me, but what was revelatory was what he said next. That he felt it was his duty to make the successful players know that their success was due to these 10 other players. And that it was the duty of each player to help everyone else succeed.

This last part really got me thinking because at the Cambridge MBA, we emphasise collaboration. But at the same time we tell our students that collaboration only works if they achieve more as individuals by working together. And it is through projects like the Cambridge Venture Project and Global Consulting Project that students practice how they can balance the individual with the team.

Now I know that it isn’t enough to just have a team. Talent is also important. But watching the Spurs and Leicester teams (it is revealing that most neutral fans describe both clubs as teams and not focus on any superstar individual talent) it does suggest that qualities like resilience, strong work ethic and a fierce commitment to the team are just as important.

And in what I promise is my last football reference, I pulled out this article from the Economist that draws a comparison between perceptions about two successful footballers and how investors or recruiters value determination over talent. For football fans of a previous generation, the choice was between George Best, someone who was supremely talented but ruined by the trappings of his success, and Kevin Keegan, a less talented player but who achieved a lot through sheer determination. A recent study showed that investors preferred to invest in someone with talent and potential rather than someone who had accomplished a lot through determination. The question was whether this behaviour applied to recruiters. And I would say whether that applies to admissions in business schools.

It is something that I am very conscious of as well. When I first started in admissions, I would catch myself imagining what a promising candidate could do if they were to come on the MBA and what they would accomplish after. Now I am much more careful about thinking more deeply about how a candidate has reached their accomplishments and look for that balance between talent/potential and determination/resilience.

The view from the South Stand at White Hart Lane, home to Tottenham Hotspur
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1833 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Application Update : DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL 13TH JUNE (email received from CJBS)

Although the initially published final deadline for MBA applications [May 6th, 2016] has now passed, due to high demand we will continue to accept applications for the September 2016 intake until 13 June 2016.

In order to progress your application in the short time now available, please ensure you have completed all elements of your application (including your GMAT/GRE score, English Language information and completed reference) upon submission.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: What using the iPad Pro has taught me about change management
As most people know, I use a lot of Apple products. I don’t count myself as an Apple fanboy (although I still don’t understand what possessed me to buy the first iPod shuffle) but I do like my gadgets.

Just four months ago, I bought a 12.9 inch iPad Pro. It was my third iPad (I had bought the very first generation and the first generation iPad mini) and it had been unveiled as a “laptop killer” that for most people would be more than sufficient in terms of their computing needs. This inevitably provoked an uproar amongst some of the tech intelligentsia who pointed out that this was nowhere near a laptop, and that despite the nifty stylus (sorry I meant Apple Pencil) it lacked some basic desktop capabilities that its main rival the Surface Pro 4 had in spades because that was really a laptop moving into tablet territory.

Having used the iPad Pro for several months now, I can safely say that, while it cannot completely replace a laptop in every function (most notably recording a Skype interview for podcasts) it more than makes up for it in other areas that can create its own tipping point. Yes, it runs on iOS, a mobile operating system so it won’t allow you to have 10 windows open at the same time, or allow you to customise the size of each window (and you would be surprised how many people find it a deal breaker if a computing platform won’t allow them to do these actions). But it is incredibly portable, has tremendous battery life, has a much better screen and speakers than most laptops, and apps have made use of its processing power to close the gap on their desktop counterparts. Sure, I still don’t have all the functionality in Excel (for example I can’t create pivot tables, only update them) but it does enough of the other stuff well that I don’t mind these little irritations. In fact, I find myself at the point where the iPad Pro has effectively replaced my office desktop and the incredible battery life I mentioned before is beginning to decrease as I enjoy using it more and more.

And this brings me to my point about change management. Too often, people get used to a certain way of doing things that they don’t question what were the underlying reasons for those processes and behaviours. The processes become so much a part of what they do and their identity that they are unable to break free from them. Or they are too quick to dismiss new processes or technologies which admittedly, are not that good at the initial stages but are good enough in other areas. Very soon a tipping point is reached where so many people have adopted the new technologies that there is now motivation for more rapid innovation in those spaces.

Every MBA in the world would be familiar with cautionary tales told in the classroom about Kodak and digital film. Or the late Andy Grove’s exhortations to “be paranoid”. But where the answers are less clear cut is how to convince teams and organisations to recognise that they need to change, or how to balance the need to change rapidly against the need to be sympathetic to the people who are being asked to change. As I said, for many people, the process is part of their identity and it can be a scary journey to embrace change. But I am always reminded of a graph that someone showed me when I had my first managerial position. It showed how people’s stress levels increased exponentially when the rate of change imposed by external events exceeds their own rate of change. So while it is scary to start the change process, it is much better to start that process before external events (eg in Kodak’s case, the rapid adoption of digital photos) give an organisation no chance but to change. No one wants to be like Kodak.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Cambridge Admissions Blog: What I am reading and listening to this Bank Holiday weekend
Coming from Singapore where all holidays have specific dates, it was quite a change for me to find out that in the UK, all the public holidays intentionally fall on a Monday with the exception of Christmas and New Year’s Day. Public holidays are also called Bank Holidays here.

This Monday the 30th of May is a Bank Holiday and while many of my colleagues are taking the opportunity to go on holiday, I will be staying in Cambridge trying to do some cycling to increase my mileage to date, listen to music and read some books.

My reading list this weekend comprises “Act Like a Leader, Think Like A Leader” by Herminia Ibarra. Ibarra draws upon her experience running leadership development programs to distill insights into how many people’s careers derail when they are given new managerial responsibilities, or when the environment changes such that their job requirements change. I was interested to read the book because as the academic year draws to an end for our MBAs, I began to think about how our MBAs will handle the career transitions that all of them will be making very soon.

And this is what I will be listening to this weekend. Let me know of any other musical recommendations that you might have.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Judge'17 (A)
Send PM
Hi..

I applied in R5, interviewed on 22nd of Jun '16, admitted on 24th of June. I'm from Indonesia, and currently working on my funding. I am expected to fulfil the financial requirements by 30th of June, which is only 6 days away from the announcement. I have proposed a new deadline as I expect there will be some delay from my sponsor to provide the guarantee letter.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing? I was wondering if this is possible, considering the R5 application and I haven't received any response from them regarding the newly proposed deadline.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GRE 1: Q157 V161
GPA: 3.33
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Mangasi, Congrats on your admission! I also applied in R5 and got admitted on June 17. I also have to fulfill financial requirements by the 30th, which is not enough time since I don't live in the UK. I asked the admissions folks if they would consider granting me an extension, and they said yes. But they requested that I should be considerate as they would like to inform candidates on the wait-list as soon as possible if I decide not to attend. So, in general, I think its OK to request an extension.

Mangasi wrote:
Hi..

I applied in R5, interviewed on 22nd of Jun '16, admitted on 24th of June. I'm from Indonesia, and currently working on my funding. I am expected to fulfil the financial requirements by 30th of June, which is only 6 days away from the announcement. I have proposed a new deadline as I expect there will be some delay from my sponsor to provide the guarantee letter.

Has anyone here experienced the same thing? I was wondering if this is possible, considering the R5 application and I haven't received any response from them regarding the newly proposed deadline.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts