Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2016 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
By what time are the results supposed to be announced?
ISB School Moderator
Send PM
kushagra10 wrote:
By what time are the results supposed to be announced?

Hi,

If R1 results are the precedent, results will likely come on 5th evening (likely to be after 6 pm). Rest is anyone's best guess. In case of any doubts, you can write to ISB for any update.

Wish you luck for the results!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 2.98
Send PM
Thanks a lot :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
souvilibra wrote:
akceeMBA wrote:
Souvilibra,

Thanks man, yeah I get that! Basically, I did not make myself clear here.
I wanted to understand whether changing career goals would be the right thing since they must be having access to my previous essays(Obviously I wont be mentioning why I am changing goals, unless I am asked, that too probably in interviews).
I mean changing goals every year in essays will obviously be dangerous, or it wont? That's my question!
For me, yes I was anxious to get an admit, and after listening to many people and reading thousands of stories, I thought it would be better to go the obvious way. But I realized that its not what I want after round 1 and corrected myself in round 2 applications. Well we all make wrong decisions, don't we?

Hi souvilibra,

Don't bang yourself on the head for writing consulting as a career goal, when you were not very convinced about it. It happens all the time, by most candidates, and frankly I will not hold a gun against you for writing something that you did not mean to do after MBA.

However, I always tell all my applicants that they must be super clear about their career goals by the time of the interview so that they can defend their choice if questioned about it. Secondly, your career goals should make sense considering your past experiences and skills set. It seems to me its one of these areas where you lacked.

There is no harm in changing your career goals as a reapplicant, but do mention what made you change them (for example- I realized new ones realign better with my strengths). You should be able to defend this answer as well.

Now ISB does have a dearth of financial roles, so you must do your research on whether your new goals will get you an admit there. Eventually, the adcom/ career services will give you admission if they think they can get you the role you want after MBA. From this perspective, cast a wider net and apply to the IIMs (B & C) as well.

(btw, I think I have responded to your query earlier as well, so you will just have to read my response all over again)
ISB School Moderator
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
souvilibra wrote:
akceeMBA wrote:
Souvilibra,

Thanks man, yeah I get that! Basically, I did not make myself clear here.
I wanted to understand whether changing career goals would be the right thing since they must be having access to my previous essays(Obviously I wont be mentioning why I am changing goals, unless I am asked, that too probably in interviews).
I mean changing goals every year in essays will obviously be dangerous, or it wont? That's my question!
For me, yes I was anxious to get an admit, and after listening to many people and reading thousands of stories, I thought it would be better to go the obvious way. But I realized that its not what I want after round 1 and corrected myself in round 2 applications. Well we all make wrong decisions, don't we?

Hi souvilibra,

Don't bang yourself on the head for writing consulting as a career goal, when you were not very convinced about it. It happens all the time, by most candidates, and frankly I will not hold a gun against you for writing something that you did not mean to do after MBA.

However, I always tell all my applicants that they must be super clear about their career goals by the time of the interview so that they can defend their choice if questioned about it. Secondly, your career goals should make sense considering your past experiences and skills set. It seems to me its one of these areas where you lacked.

There is no harm in changing your career goals as a reapplicant, but do mention what made you change them (for example- I realized new ones realign better with my strengths). You should be able to defend this answer as well.

Now ISB does have a dearth of financial roles, so you must do your research on whether your new goals will get you an admit there. Eventually, the adcom/ career services will give you admission if they think they can get you the role you want after MBA. From this perspective, cast a wider net and apply to the IIMs (B & C) as well.

(btw, I think I have responded to your query earlier as well, so you will just have to read my response all over again)

Hi Namita,

Your reply did ring a bell in one corner of my mind. I had the same discussion with some of the current students at ISB.

Glad we have some expert here at help. Does not having enough offers from financial services world stop ISB from taking students from finance background in general. I mean do they keep this in mind that despite of being a good applicant we (as in ISB) may not be able to get him/her a suitable job so reject him/her?

Would like to hear your views on the same.

Kunal Arora
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
kunalarora23 wrote:

Hi Namita,

Your reply did ring a bell in one corner of my mind. I had the same discussion with some of the current students at ISB.

Glad we have some expert here at help. Does not having enough offers from financial services world stop ISB from taking students from finance background in general. I mean do they keep this in mind that despite of being a good applicant we (as in ISB) may not be able to get him/her a suitable job so reject him/her?

Would like to hear your views on the same.

Kunal Arora[/quote][/quote]

Yes, I think its a likely chance if you are writing a specific career choice, which the school can not help you meet. Its a good strategy to figure out what the school can get you- in the case of ISB, its easy to meet the admissions teams during their tours and talk to them.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry for double posting :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 2.4
WE:Marketing (Health Care)
Send PM
Hi Sparta_750,

Any update about the results for R2 interviews?

How did the interviews go for the short listed candidates? Can someone share ones experience?

Regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 133
Concentration: Finance, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
saikiransomala wrote:
Hi Sparta_750,

How did the interviews go for the short listed candidates? Can someone share ones experience?

Regards

Last year R2 results were announced two days in advance, and this year R1 results were released on the date mentioned by ISB. So, I believe we are in that window when we can start expecting / hoping.

Interview: 28th Feb, Mohali Campus

Interview was scheduled at 10:20. Reached the venue at 8:30 am. There were only another candidate who was scheduled for a 9:40 interview.

At 9, we were given our one word essay. Mine was "significant". Wrote something instinctively. The first person was called at around 10:25. Could heard the admissions co-ordinater that work load for 2 days was being pushed squeezed in a day. (there were around 20 candidates and only one panel). The interviewers seemed a bit miffed with the scheduling. So, I expected a short interview. The first one got over in 10-15 minutes. The first person coming out mentioned that they were asking generic questions. I had to wait another 15-20 minutes before I was called. Two professors (later found out that both were assistant / deputy deans), middle aged and it was a conference room (with a whole view of whats happening outside). I greeted both of them and was asked to sit down.

P1: We have gone through your profile? You can give your introduction in two minutes? Mentioned family background, academic background, professional background

P2: What is this fellowship you were awarded? Talked in brief

P1: You have this offer to join US based startup, why not join it? Told that I lack operational skills - and do not find myself competent of setting up a business in a foreign country. Probably, after a PGP , I might consider.

P2: Why not Public Policy? Told them that I have an offer from LSE & columbia for their two year MPAs. But at that time I wanted to research on Gross Happiness Index for India, UK is already measuring it. However, I felt that it is too far fledged idea for India as we have other priorities, Got exposure in corporate side and I feel the real development can only happen by creating jobs.

P1: Where do you see yourself ten years from now? I mentioned heading a vertical in a company. Then linked to roles in my present industry and what I want to do.

P1: You have an impressive profile, have political background, why not join Politics. You understand macro scenario well? Why not join AAP? I said I would have contested elections but AAP did not contest Haryana elections after their Lok Sabha debacle. (P1 nodded in agreement and mentioned certain reasons) But a lot of cross questioning followed.

P1: Is the transition to corporate side because you were disillusioned and felt lost in the value chain? I mentioned my contributions and highlighted that these were no small things. Everyday I was influencing policy and legislation. Gave specific examples.

P2: How was your experience working with an MP? Did you enjoy it? I started with how their is misconceived notion that MPs do not work, and people only judge them by what they see in Lok Sabha. There is a lot of work - committee work and other issues. I counted all the committees - home, defense, civil aviation, children, food security, etc,- that he was a member of and how hard we all worked towards everything. (P1 mentioned that he knows a few leaders, and they do work 14-16 hours everyday).

P2: What is short-term goal? Mentioned what I had written in my essays. Want to get into an operational role in the energy sector itself. Talked about coal auctions, power sector scenario. Gave a good sense of both these sectors

P2: What is the difference between this govt. and the previous govt. Mention three. 1) How the corruption index seemed to have gone down. Or at least the perceived corruption level has gone down(P1 agreed and said at least at the top leve) 2) Talked about the previous govt.'s obsession with right-welfare based approach (RTE, NREGA, Food security), whereas this Govt. identifies areas and targets them in a mission mode (Make in India, etc) 3) Bureaucracy (P2 pre-empts - it does not work?) is empowered. PM directly deals with them and wants them to directly reach out to him. (P1 agreed again).

P2: Keeping aside your previous experiences, how would you rate this Government? I mentioned I am biased. P2 smiled and said try to be neutral. I said, that I have been observing the Governments working and there are two parameters: Social and Economic. On the social front, the Government is not doing pretty well and there are cuts in the budgets of various social sector schemes and on the economic front- the Govt is trying, but its hands are tied. Banking system is full of NPAs, so they are not able to lend generously. Moreover, the industry is full of debt, and most of the companies are trying to get rid of debt. So there is not much investment happening. It is a vicious cycle and something major needs to be done (no counter question)

P2: Tell me again, what do you want to do? Was very specific again. re-iterated again. Explained the scope and opportunities in power sector and coal sector again from a different perspective. Explained the skills I lacked.

P2: Will you take a sabbatical? I said yes.

P1: Ok. Great. This is it. Any questions? Asked about the cases at ISB being more US focussed. Both of them explained in detail the reasons.

Both stood up, shook my hands and wished me good.

It went on for 35-40minutes. Came out and left immediately. I was largely satisfied. No direct questioning on why ISB, why MBA, etc. Nothing from current work experience directly. But at every given opportunity I tried to bring the interview to my future goals. I missed mentioning a lot of achievements, credentials but they were more focussed if I have clarity in my mind. Fingers crossed.
ISB School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sparta_750 wrote:
saikiransomala wrote:
Hi Sparta_750,

Regards

Last year R2 results were announced two days in advance, and this year R1 results were released on the date mentioned by ISB. So, I believe we are in that window when we can start expecting / hoping.

Interview: 28th Feb, Mohali Campus

Interview was scheduled at 10:20. Reached the venue at 8:30 am. There were only another candidate who was scheduled for a 9:40 interview.

At 9, we were given our one word essay. Mine was "significant". Wrote something instinctively. The first person was called at around 10:25. Could heard the admissions co-ordinater that work load for 2 days was being pushed squeezed in a day. (there were around 20 candidates and only one panel). The interviewers seemed a bit miffed with the scheduling. So, I expected a short interview. The first one got over in 10-15 minutes. The first person coming out mentioned that they were asking generic questions. I had to wait another 15-20 minutes before I was called. Two professors (later found out that both were assistant / deputy deans), middle aged and it was a conference room (with a whole view of whats happening outside). I greeted both of them and was asked to sit down.

P1: We have gone through your profile? You can give your introduction in two minutes? Mentioned family background, academic background, professional background

P2: What is this fellowship you were awarded? Talked in brief

P1: You have this offer to join US based startup, why not join it? Told that I lack operational skills - and do not find myself competent of setting up a business in a foreign country. Probably, after a PGP , I might consider.

P2: Why not Public Policy? Told them that I have an offer from LSE & columbia for their two year MPAs. But at that time I wanted to research on Gross Happiness Index for India, UK is already measuring it. However, I felt that it is too far fledged idea for India as we have other priorities, Got exposure in corporate side and I feel the real development can only happen by creating jobs.

P1: Where do you see yourself ten years from now? I mentioned heading a vertical in a company. Then linked to roles in my present industry and what I want to do.

P1: You have an impressive profile, have political background, why not join Politics. You understand macro scenario well? Why not join AAP? I said I would have contested elections but AAP did not contest Haryana elections after their Lok Sabha debacle. (P1 nodded in agreement and mentioned certain reasons) But a lot of cross questioning followed.

P1: Is the transition to corporate side because you were disillusioned and felt lost in the value chain? I mentioned my contributions and highlighted that these were no small things. Everyday I was influencing policy and legislation. Gave specific examples.

P2: How was your experience working with an MP? Did you enjoy it? I started with how their is misconceived notion that MPs do not work, and people only judge them by what they see in Lok Sabha. There is a lot of work - committee work and other issues. I counted all the committees - home, defense, civil aviation, children, food security, etc,- that he was a member of and how hard we all worked towards everything. (P1 mentioned that he knows a few leaders, and they do work 14-16 hours everyday).

P2: What is short-term goal? Mentioned what I had written in my essays. Want to get into an operational role in the energy sector itself. Talked about coal auctions, power sector scenario. Gave a good sense of both these sectors

P2: What is the difference between this govt. and the previous govt. Mention three. 1) How the corruption index seemed to have gone down. Or at least the perceived corruption level has gone down(P1 agreed and said at least at the top leve) 2) Talked about the previous govt.'s obsession with right-welfare based approach (RTE, NREGA, Food security), whereas this Govt. identifies areas and targets them in a mission mode (Make in India, etc) 3) Bureaucracy (P2 pre-empts - it does not work?) is empowered. PM directly deals with them and wants them to directly reach out to him. (P1 agreed again).

P2: Keeping aside your previous experiences, how would you rate this Government? I mentioned I am biased. P2 smiled and said try to be neutral. I said, that I have been observing the Governments working and there are two parameters: Social and Economic. On the social front, the Government is not doing pretty well and there are cuts in the budgets of various social sector schemes and on the economic front- the Govt is trying, but its hands are tied. Banking system is full of NPAs, so they are not able to lend generously. Moreover, the industry is full of debt, and most of the companies are trying to get rid of debt. So there is not much investment happening. It is a vicious cycle and something major needs to be done (no counter question)

P2: Tell me again, what do you want to do? Was very specific again. re-iterated again. Explained the scope and opportunities in power sector and coal sector again from a different perspective. Explained the skills I lacked.

P2: Will you take a sabbatical? I said yes.

P1: Ok. Great. This is it. Any questions? Asked about the cases at ISB being more US focussed. Both of them explained in detail the reasons.

Both stood up, shook my hands and wished me good.

It went on for 35-40minutes. Came out and left immediately. I was largely satisfied. No direct questioning on why ISB, why MBA, etc. Nothing from current work experience directly. But at every given opportunity I tried to bring the interview to my future goals. I missed mentioning a lot of achievements, credentials but they were more focussed if I have clarity in my mind. Fingers crossed.

Looks like you did pretty well in the interview. A number of nods by the interviewer indicates you were fairly comfortable in convincing them with your thought process.

I must say you would have convinced them on one aspect that you are very well informed on macro economic scenarios of the country (apart from other positive things) which is a great sign and indicates your level of preparedness for the interview.

Congrats for such a great debrief.

Wish you luck for the results!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
Someone on another forum mentioned that the results might get uploaded tonight on the portal.
(ISB has a history of announcing result later in the day). I am unable to verify it as the ad com is not picking up the phone.
ISB School Moderator
Send PM
To all those waiting for R2 results..Best of luck!

In or out..you all gave your best..

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
Send PM
When are the Results expected? Any Ideas? :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks kunalarora23 and MBADecoder (Namita) for your valuable insights. I have clearly understood areas of improvements and working on them. I agree that I should have applied to IIMs as well, but I felt my score was below par, which it is, to apply to IIMs. And for my goals, I am more clear and confident about them. I am also working on things that could help me be more convincing with my goals.I hope to come back strong for next year.
All the best to round 2 applicants :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Any updates?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
saikiransomala wrote:
Hi All,

Any updates?

Some one called the adcom and was told that results will come by tomorrow only.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Sparta_750,

So it must happen by midnight.