Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

BU vs BC vs GW vs UCI vs Maryland vs Rochester

You may select up to 3 options
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.17
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: BU vs BC vs GW vs Maryland vs UCI vs Rochester [#permalink]
I see. I think with your original post, you gave the impression that you haven't been accepted to any of those schools and just listed all schools that you applied to. Normally you should be able to narrow down your list yourselves to a final 3 or 4 max I'd say.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BU vs BC vs GW vs Maryland vs UCI vs Rochester [#permalink]
yes I can do that in terms of setting up tiers of reach / spot on / and safety schools. However I find that its really hard to choose 2-3 schools out of 6 that are so similar in ranks / placements / and metrics. Thats why I made the post because perhaps someone could help shed light to differentiate between the programs or like have some personal information / anecdote / opinion that can't be found online or just through statistics =].

And also perhaps this thread could be of aid to others who might be in the same decision point between these programs as I'm sure there are plenty who are looking in the 30-50 rank range whether its for their target or safety.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Hubris2015,

I'm probably not the best person to comment here since I didn't go to any of these schools but here are my two cents from some friends and family that have...

If I had to narrow it down I would be looking at Maryland, BU & BC.

I think in terms of social life it definitely depends on what you're looking for, Boston is obviously a great city with tons of opportunities but College Park is a fun college town so it depends on which atmosphere you find preferable.

In terms of leveraging brand name I think Boston College wins out here. It has an outstanding undergrad program and the alumni base extends throughout the country. They have tons of alumni at F500 companies that I'm sure will help you land a position you're looking for.

Maybe someone who went to these schools can give you a better idea but hopefully that helps a bit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for feedback MBAstudent2018 !

It just happens those are the 3 schools on top my
list so looks like we are on the same page.

I found BC vs BU to be a hard decision. I am aware that BC has the stronger undergrad both for business program and overall university rank and probably general prestige. However I noticed that the BU graduate program seems to be more well regarded? Not to be too much of a rank nazi but it looks like BC program has been on a constant downward trend since the mid 2000s and barely made it on this years top 50 and I'm wondering what the reasoning for this is.

My pros for BU over BC is the closer proximity to the actual city of Boston and the decently larger class size ( 150 vs 90 I believe ) and with stronger scores. I agree though it seems that for finance alone it definitely seems that BC is the stronger of the two but as it stands that seems to be the only advantage I can see.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
I had a very similar list, and ranked schools in the following order:

Questrom/Smith
Carroll/Simon

I decided against applying to GWU because of their placement stats and didn't consider UCI at all.

I think you should visit all of the schools you are accepted to and see where you feel the most comfortable.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 339 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think the decision for me would be between BC and UMD, both are near major cities and have the strongest recruiting and networks of the bunch
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks for the replies guys

AW2016 yes that is actually exactly how I ranked them for myself. I threw UCI in there because of the South Cal weather factor haha.

VeritasPrepDozie what is the main reasoning behind Carrol> Questrom as I see that it is a big decision point among many people. I understand BC having more of the general prestige factor but almost all ranks and statistics (placement salary gmat etc.) show BU to have a slight edge so I am a little perplexed with that.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts