Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Assuming I renege, what should I do?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing
Schools: Ross '18 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.52
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Should I renege on a binding early admission? [#permalink]
Kudos
Suck it up and go to school A.

1) You shouldn't have applied to other schools.
2) There is a chance of serious unintended consequences like being held responsible for tuition at A or being rejected from B.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I completely agree with Tmchck86 and PugLyfe

Interestingly enough, this topic definitely seems to come up every year.

Here's a discussion I started last year regarding this issue. Perhaps you all could read through and add some more perspectives to the conversation ;)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/to-withdraw-or-not-withdraw-187969.html?hilit=early%20decision

Regardless, I believe the OP should reflect about how the decision he/she ultimately takes will affect their reputation moving forward and what that action says about their own ethical decision making process. As future leaders, we will be expected to make equally, if not more difficult type of decisions that have much broader and deeper consequences, and personally I would prefer to have someone that I can trust to think ethically and clearly in those moments.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's a big gap (10+). Gave a deposit but willing to let it go.

Looked at EA language, doesn't seem to be legally binding for tuition. Just trying to assess the risk of getting admission revoked from both schools...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
What do you mean by binding commitment? I thought that you would just lose the deposit paid and you're free to choose whichever school you want to. Is there a special binding commitment in certain schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Should I renege on a binding early admission? [#permalink]
I hate Early Decision, and I believe it is entirely a strategy used to increase a school's yield and take what little control candidates have away from them.

However, I understand that it exists, and there are agreement terms, and you don't want to get in trouble. Until this thread, I was under the impression that reneging on an ED admit was actually somewhat common. I had a consultation with a consultant last year and she advised me to apply to Columbia Early Decision. Since my target schools were all in the midwest, I asked about what I should do if I ended up getting into Booth, for instance, and she told me I should eat my deposit at Columbia and go to Booth instead. I was surprised, but it gave me the impression that you can just do that.

Not to say she's a great source, since she was trying to improve her yield by getting me into an M7 I wasn't even targeting and potentially wasting 5k on a deposit there. However, I feel like a school doesn't (or at least shouldn't..) have any right at this point to demand further tuition from you. This is an interesting discussion.

Edit: Relevant post - Will Early Decision Boost My Admissions Odds at Columbia GSB

"This begs the question – what happens if you gain admission under Early Decision, pay the deposit, but later get into a school you prefer, like Harvard? At MBA Admit.com, we have seen candidates simply choose to lose their deposit to Columbia and accept the school they prefer. We don’t comment on whether you should do this or not, but we can state factually that we have seen this done. For those candidates, they were willing to pay the deposit in exchange for getting a boost toward success in the Columbia admissions process and they were willing to lose the deposit if they got into another school that was their first choice. "
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, this comes up often. You should have dropped out of all of your other applications as prescribed by the binding agreement you have engaged into at offer acceptance. You did not do what you were supposed to, which you clearly admiting and pointing out - Kudos to you for that! Many don't and get defensive. What is the penalty for that? As mentioned by a few others, it is not clearly spelled out but it seems limited to losing the deposit and some integrity. Never heard of anyone getting kicked out of another program.

P.S.
The 2 schools that I know of with EA are Fuqua and Columbia. Columbia is Top 10, so has to be Fuqua which is top 12, and 10+ would indicate HBS/Booth/Stanford... ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [3]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Should I renege on a binding early admission? [#permalink]
Kudos
greenzie wrote:
What do you mean by binding commitment? I thought that you would just lose the deposit paid and you're free to choose whichever school you want to. Is there a special binding commitment in certain schools?

Certain schools (Duke and Columbia for example) have early decision deadlines that are for students who are absolutely sure that they will attend these schools as soon as they et admitted and will withdraw their other applications. Refer below for the verbiage of the early decision from Columbia and Duke.

Attachment:
Duke.jpg
Duke.jpg [ 65.98 KiB | Viewed 15270 times ]
Attachment:
Columbia ED.jpg
Columbia ED.jpg [ 141.39 KiB | Viewed 15318 times ]

As for the legal ramifications concerned, you will have to do your research.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For your sake, I would just enroll at School A. When I worked in selective undergraduate admissions, if we ever found out that an RD candidate had been admitted ED elsewhere, the policy was to notify the ED school. Same went for candidates who had double-deposited -- we would rescind our offer and notify the other school. I recognize b-school and undergrad admissions aren't perfectly comparable, but I have to imagine many of the practices are similar.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Since Fuqua has binding EA, and you may be considering reneging on Fuqua. I say, please just renege and go to the other school. We pride ourselves on our culture of ethics, collaboration, and teamwork. This kind of behavioral will not be looked upon kindly when it comes to recruiting time (reneging on company offers) when there's even more at stake (exploding bonuses, more prestigious companies).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Eller - Class of 2018
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V48
GPA: 4
Send PM
Agree that you should attend School A. There could be consequences even beyond what you've already considered from what appears to school and firms as a lack of integrity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
coleworld wrote:
Agree that you should attend School A. There could be consequences even beyond what you've already considered from what appears to school and firms as a lack of integrity.

Hi all - I'm in a similar position this year and everyone keeps saying that there are serious consequences, but how would School A know about School B unless you told them? They're not in communication about you in the way that you think they are.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts