Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [129]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618737 [57]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [24]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.8
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 838 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Re: A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin. If P is [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Could someone please elaborate what the term "sum of the squares" mean in the context of coordinate geometry?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [4]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin. If P is [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Bunuel - My confusion is on the wording of the question- " If p is a point on the circle..." this is in fact saying that p has to be on the "outlined" circle and NOT for example inside the circle? If we choose p to be in the origin, 0,0 we would have another answer. But from what I am reading no one is considering P to be "inside" the circle. Are there any key clue to rule out points inside the circle?
best
Oloman

Bunuel wrote:
Sallyzodiac wrote:
A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin. If P is a point on the circle, what is the sum of the squares of the coordinates of P?

1) The radius of the circle is 4.

2) The sum of the coordinates of P is 0.

Say the coordinates of P are (x,y), then the question asks about the value of x^2 + y^2.

In an x-y Cartesian coordinate system, the circle with center (a, b) and radius r is the set of all points (x, y) such that:
\((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2\)

This equation of the circle follows from the Pythagorean theorem applied to any point on the circle: as shown in the diagram above, the radius is the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle whose other sides are of length x-a and y-b.

If the circle is centered at the origin (0, 0), then the equation simplifies to:
\(x^2+y^2=r^2\).

According to the above, the first statement of the question gives the direct answer: x^2 + y^2 = r^2 = 4^2. The second statement is not sufficient.

Check more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618737 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
oloman wrote:
Hi Bunuel - My confusion is on the wording of the question- " If p is a point on the circle..." this is in fact saying that p has to be on the "outlined" circle and NOT for example inside the circle? If we choose p to be in the origin, 0,0 we would have another answer. But from what I am reading no one is considering P to be "inside" the circle. Are there any key clue to rule out points inside the circle?
best
Oloman

Bunuel wrote:
Sallyzodiac wrote:
A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin. If P is a point on the circle, what is the sum of the squares of the coordinates of P?

1) The radius of the circle is 4.

2) The sum of the coordinates of P is 0.

Say the coordinates of P are (x,y), then the question asks about the value of x^2 + y^2.

In an x-y Cartesian coordinate system, the circle with center (a, b) and radius r is the set of all points (x, y) such that:
\((x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2\)

This equation of the circle follows from the Pythagorean theorem applied to any point on the circle: as shown in the diagram above, the radius is the hypotenuse of a right-angled triangle whose other sides are of length x-a and y-b.

If the circle is centered at the origin (0, 0), then the equation simplifies to:
\(x^2+y^2=r^2\).

According to the above, the first statement of the question gives the direct answer: x^2 + y^2 = r^2 = 4^2. The second statement is not sufficient.

Check more here: math-coordinate-geometry-87652.html

Hope it helps.

Yes, on the circle means on the circumference, while in the circle means inside the circumference.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Re: A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin [#permalink]
Question asked here is, nothing the square of the radius of the circle, since the circle is centered at origin. Statement that helps in finding out the radius of the circle is sufficient.

Hence A.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [10]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Keats wrote:

(1)The radius of the circle is 4.
(2)The sum of the coordinates of P is 0.

We are given the center at origin, so equation of circle will be \(x^2 + y^2 = r^2\)

Since, P is on the circle, it will satisfy this equation.

Statement 1 : We are given the value of r = 4, so we can find out the value of \(x^2 + y^2\), Hence Sufficient.

Statement 2 says x = -y. Even if we put this value in the equation we will get \(2x^2 = r^2\)

But Since we don't know r, we cannot find the value of x. hence, insufficient.

Answer A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
My god... Back in High School (or maybe elementary school), here in Portugal, we distinguish a circumference from a circle as being geometry elements completely different from each other. While a circumference is an imaginary line in which every point has the same distance to a specified center, defining thus the limits of a certain circular area and the circle is that area and is defined by the infinite set of points that are in a distance less than or equal to a specified radius. So, a circumference is and equation such as x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and a circle is an inequality such as x^2 + y^2 <= r^2. So the circumference has distance units such as meter, miles, feet, etc and the circle has square distance units such as square meters, etc. This is brilliantly coherent and makes no room for any confusion!

As far as I can understand on the GMAT, according to Bunnel:

"Yes, on the circle means on the circumference, while in the circle means inside the circumference. "

This distinction is SUPER confusing!!! in/on makes all the difference and while for a native this might be even logic for a non native is a pain in.... Furthermore, this makes a person who knows all the mathematical concepts to answer this question right, answering it wrong because of english language issues, which are not supposed to be assessed in this part...

I'm sorry for unburdening my frustration on you guys but I got 2 questions wrong on the same mock because of this and my exam is in 5 freaking days...

Cheers to y'all!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Kudos
Miracles86 wrote:
My god... Back in High School (or maybe elementary school), here in Portugal, we distinguish a circumference from a circle as being geometry elements completely different from each other. While a circumference is an imaginary line in which every point has the same distance to a specified center, defining thus the limits of a certain circular area and the circle is that area and is defined by the infinite set of points that are in a distance less than or equal to a specified radius. So, a circumference is and equation such as x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and a circle is an inequality such as x^2 + y^2 <= r^2. So the circumference has distance units such as meter, miles, feet, etc and the circle has square distance units such as square meters, etc. This is brilliantly coherent and makes no room for any confusion!

"Yes, on the circle means on the circumference, while in the circle means inside the circumference. "

This distinction is SUPER confusing!!! in/on makes all the difference and while for a native this might be even logic for a non native is a pain in.... Furthermore, this makes a person who knows all the mathematical concepts to answer this question right, answering it wrong because of english language issues, which are not supposed to be assessed in this part...

I'm sorry for unburdening my frustration on you guys but I got 2 questions wrong on the same mock because of this and my exam is in 5 freaking days...

Cheers to y'all!

Hello

May I suggest you dont worry about it too much. You are correct that a circle centered at origin (0,0) with a radius of r should ideally be written as:
x^2 + y^2 <= r^2

And I think the meaning of this inequality is that within the circle (inside, not touching the boundary), all points will satisfy: x^2 + y^2 < r^2
While on the boundary (circumference), all points will satisfy: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

Now as per the first statement, since radius of the circle is 4, and since P is a point (x,y) on the boundary of the circle, then definitely the sum of squares of the two coordinates of P, x^2 + y^2 will be = r^2. First statement is thus sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
amanvermagmat wrote:
Miracles86 wrote:

Cheers to y'all!

Hello

May I suggest you dont worry about it too much. You are correct that a circle centered at origin (0,0) with a radius of r should ideally be written as:
x^2 + y^2 <= r^2

And I think the meaning of this inequality is that within the circle (inside, not touching the boundary), all points will satisfy: x^2 + y^2 < r^2
While on the boundary (circumference), all points will satisfy: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

Now as per the first statement, since radius of the circle is 4, and since P is a point (x,y) on the boundary of the circle, then definitely the sum of squares of the two coordinates of P, x^2 + y^2 will be = r^2. First statement is thus sufficient.

Of course, that is absolutely right. But when I read the question, I thought that this was a trap for rushing test takers. So I thought the point was somewhere inside the circle and because it wasn't on the boundary, as you properly deduced, no conclusion could be made about the squares of x and y... Got it now and at least this mistake I won't make it again!

Thanks for your tips!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Guys, the easiest way to remember the formula and information pertaining to the properties of this question is to recall that the radius is found in the same way the distance between two points is found.

If you remember that x^2 + y^2 = r^2 Then remember that any point on the circumference of a circle in the xy plane will have the SAME distance from the origin. This distance is given by the radius. You can back solve to clarify your understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
the question must have said "on the circumference" rather than "on the circle"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [1]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
A certain circle in the xy-plane has its center at the origin. If P is [#permalink]
Kudos
SalmonSteak wrote:

Logically speaking, a point cannot lie on the circumference. Circumference is the measure of something and a point cannot lie on the measure of something. on the circle implies that the point lies on the boundary/border.

Also, Bunuel - this is a gmatprep question.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618737 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Brian123 wrote:
SalmonSteak wrote:

Logically speaking, a point cannot lie on the circumference. Circumference is the measure of something and a point cannot lie on the measure of something. on the circle implies that the point lies on the boundary/border.

Also, Bunuel - this is a gmatprep question.

Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7625 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Top Contributor

The Equation of a circle with center (h,k) and radius r is given by
\((x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2\)

If the center of the circle is at the orgin (0,0) , we can reframe the equation as
\(x^2 + y^2 = r^2\)
If P is a point on the circle i.e \((x,y)\), we are asked to find the sum of the squares of the coordinates of P. i.e. \(x^2 + y^2\)
We already know that \(x^2 + y^2 = r^2\), so in order to get the answer for the question stem, we need to find the radius of the circle.

(1)The radius of the circle is 4.
Since the radius of the circle is given, \(x^2 + y^2 = 4^2\). Hence It's sufficient.

(2)The sum of the coordinates of P is 0.
It says that coordinates of point P could be \((x,-x)\) or \((-x,x)\) where in both cases the sum is 0.
Substituting these values in the equation \(x^2 + y^2 = r^2\)
\(x^2 + (-x)^2 = r^2\)
\(2x^2 = r^2\)
Since we dont have the value for r or x, Statement 2 alone is insufficient.

Option A is the correct answer.

Thanks,
Clifin J Francis,
GMAT SME
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Re: Coordinate Geometry [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
The equation of a circle centred at the origin is x^2 + y^2 = r^2, where r is the radius of the circle. So Statement 1 is sufficient; the sum of the squares of the coordinates will be 4^2 = 16. Statement 2 only tells us that for point P, y = -x, so point P is on the line y = -x. But that tells us nothing about the circle, because any circle big or small that is centred at the origin will meet the line y = -x in two places, so the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
IanStewart

Hi Ian,

Could you elaborate a bit more on statement 2? For e.g. if the point is in the 1st coordinate, I would think that both x and y coordinates should be positive, so I wonder where do we get the x = -y equation from?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618737 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
TargetMBA007 wrote:

(1) The radius of the circle is 4.

(2) The sum of the coordinates of P is 0.

Could you elaborate a bit more on statement 2? For e.g. if the point is in the 1st coordinate, I would think that both x and y coordinates should be positive, so I wonder where do we get the x = -y equation from?

Thanks

(2) states that the sum of the coordinates of P(x, y) is 0. Therefore, x + y = 0, which leads to y = -x. This indicates that point P lies on the line y = -x.

Note that any point on this line will satisfy x + y = 0, and P is positioned in either the II or IV quadrants.

Attachment:
2024-01-25_19-40-57.png
2024-01-25_19-40-57.png [ 16.48 KiB | Viewed 2049 times ]
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92901 posts