Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: H1B and OPT [#permalink]
Thanks bb. That helps for sure. A couple of more questions. It would be great if could clarify.

1. We don't know how many people apply through advanced degree quota. But I guess we can assume that number is easily about 100K?

2. Applying before April in 2nd year - So would these companies apply for petition of candidates who are yet to graduate and join them? Is that a norm?

3. STEM degree - so this decision (whether MBA or a STEM degree) must be taken before applying right? I didn't quite understand how this can be an emergency solution (after you get negative lottery result).

4. Employers are also taking a risk while hiring an international. No one wants to hire an employee for an year and let him go. I believe only large MNCs would take this risk as they have offshore offices. Is that assumption reasonable? Of course it would depend on supply-demand and caliber of the person, but I am asking about middle 80%.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
TDK82 wrote:
Thanks bb. That helps for sure. A couple of more questions. It would be great if could clarify.

1. We don't know how many people apply through advanced degree quota. But I guess we can assume that number is easily about 100K?

2. Applying before April in 2nd year - So would these companies apply for petition of candidates who are yet to graduate and join them? Is that a norm?

3. STEM degree - so this decision (whether MBA or a STEM degree) must be taken before applying right? I didn't quite understand how this can be an emergency solution (after you get negative lottery result).

4. Employers are also taking a risk while hiring an international. No one wants to hire an employee for an year and let him go. I believe only large MNCs would take this risk as they have offshore offices. Is that assumption reasonable? Of course it would depend on supply-demand and caliber of the person, but I am asking about middle 80%.

I think you are asking pretty detailed questions and I think it will make sense for you to do some additional research. I don't have the answers about who is hiring international students or about the 20,000 quota or typical approach but I am sure you can research it online. At the same time, you will probably only get a portion of the picture that continues to change over time with changes in application numbers, quotas and US immigration policy. The reality is that NOTHING IS GUARANTEED, especially when it comes to getting a job out of business school or getting a work permit. There is always a risk and it is a risk you assume when you enter the business school. You apply in 2015, enter in 2016, and graduate in 2018 - that's a lot of years and a lot of things will change. If the job market performs as well as it has, they may relax the quotas as more skilled workers will be needed in the US or if the job market goes to hell, there will be plenty of work permits, like it has been in the late 2000's. People hope for the best.
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
Kudos
TDK82 wrote:

Hi TDK82,

Actually, it is not 100K. It was 233K for 2015 with prediction to increase for 2016. There are some programs that offer you dual degree (MBA +STEM) program. This will yield to stay up 3 years after graduation. The US government has updated the regulation for STEM program from 24 months to 36 months. Also, the interesting thing is that if you decide to do Higher degree (PHD) in STEM program, you can stay another 2 years, something was not existed before. In the past, it was one time frame even you would do 3 degrees.

As bb said nothing guaranteed. However, the government might change it for MBA students as it did for STEM students. Please read the below links:

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/06/21/h- ... -u-s-jobs/

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/06/21/ho ... visa-maze/

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/06/21/wh ... -1b-visas/
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q37 V33
GPA: 3.13
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Pretty much what bb said. In the end, it's all a matter of chance and a bit of luck. What matters is whether you feel that the advantage you get from the MBA will be greater than the potential risk of not getting job in the country. If not, is there a backup plan? This is the kind of soul searching that especially the international students have to do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
H1B issue is the reason why I am planning to do my MBA in Canada instead of the US. I lived in the States for 10 years and finished my undergrad there. Although I would much prefer to live in the States because it feels like a second home to me after spending all of my youth and early 20s in it, I just cannot risk my future on a lottery, especially because I have a family. I am sure there are many who are on the same boat as I am.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I guess the chances for people who do MBA outside U.S, say like in Europe, and need a visa to work in the states, are much less, because they don't get OPT and can only hope for the luck in the lottery? Do big, prestigious companies, like MBB or Google, even consider those applicants?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
H1B and OPT [#permalink]
Kudos
chster wrote:
I guess the chances for people who do MBA outside U.S, say like in Europe, and need a visa to work in the states, are much less, because they don't get OPT and can only hope for the luck in the lottery? Do big, prestigious companies, like MBB or Google, even consider those applicants?

Unless you are so desirable for the firms that they are willing to go out of their way to hire you, it would be nearly impossible for those with MBA degrees from outside the US to work in the US. This is because:

1. H1B processing times, fees, and high chance of not getting the visa at all
2. You cannot apply through on-campus recruiting
3. It is hard to get all the information about job openings without being there
4. It is difficult for the companies to interview you in person
5. In the States, Non-US MBA, even ones from highly ranked schools such as INSEAD, LBS, etc., hold less value to US companies than top US programs

If you want even a shot at being hired in the States, go do your MBA there and take a chance with H1B lottery (already starting with disadvantage due to less employers willing to hire internationals because of H1B lottery. They don't like hiring somebody and then not being able to keep him/her past OPT period because he/she was not lucky in the H1B lottery). Otherwise, you can apply to other international offices of those big, prestigious companies.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks Rookie 84, for your reply.

Do you happen to know the scenario in Canada? Is it similar to the states to be on the strict side? My experience with some countries in Europe and Asia, is that getting a working visa with company support, most of time just an employment contract, will be sufficient.

Rookie84 wrote:
chster wrote:

Unless you are so desirable for the firms that they are willing to go out of their way to hire you, it would be nearly impossible for those with MBA degrees from outside the US to work in the US. This is because:

5. In the States, Non-US MBA, even ones from highly ranked schools such as INSEAD, LBS, etc., hold less value to US companies than top US programs

If you want even a shot at being hired in the States, go do your MBA there and take a chance with H1B lottery (already starting with disadvantage due to less employers willing to hire internationals because of H1B lottery. They don't like hiring somebody and then not being able to keep him/her past OPT period because he/she was not lucky in the H1B lottery). Otherwise, you can apply to other international offices of those big, prestigious companies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Send PM
chster wrote:
Thanks Rookie 84, for your reply.

Do you happen to know the scenario in Canada? Is it similar to the states to be on the strict side? My experience with some countries in Europe and Asia, is that getting a working visa with company support, most of time just an employment contract, will be sufficient.

Rookie84 wrote:
chster wrote:

In Canada, if you complete a 2-year program, you are automatically eligible for 3-year open work permit, meaning you are free to work wherever you want during the 3 year period. Transitioning from work permit to permanent residency does not seem too difficult either with a number of different tracks you can apply to. I suggest that you do some searching on the internet, including on Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website. A lot of good information is available.
GMAT Club Bot