Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31868 [34]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [6]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 982
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [1]
Send PM
Re: A piece of work can be done by 10 boys in 6 days working 4 hours each [#permalink]
Kudos
mdacosta wrote:
Vyshak -- I understand everything up to: "# of boys * x * x = 960"

How are you able to replace (2^3)^2 for x^2 like that? I'd think each boy does (1)(6)(4) = 24 units of work, so 960 / 24 = 40 boys

Can you help me understand please? Thank you :D

Michael

Hi Michael,

The question states that the number of hours worked and the number of days taken to complete the work are same. When you take 6 hrs and 4 days or vice versa, it violates the given condition. When we factorize we should express one number as a square of an integer. We are able to express only 2^3 in this way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: A piece of work can be done by 10 boys in 6 days working 4 hours each [#permalink]
Kudos
Hello all! This is my first post, please excuse if I am not following protocol etc :)

I misunderstood this statement: another work which is three times more - is this phrased correctly?
I understood that the work was 3x times 240, ie 720 (which is 5 boys working 12 hours over 12 days)

I understand how "three times" is not exactly the same as "three times more", however, this is how people speak when they mean 3x times; they use both to mean the same thing.

English is not my first language and so it is quite possible that I misunderstand the subtlety of this. My concern is more if I should look out for something like this on the test, or if it will be more clear in the GMAT?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [1]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Vyshak I don't seem to understand why have you considered New work = Current work + 3(Current work)

In question stem it is mentioned that How many minimum possible number of boys are needed to complete another work which is three times more
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4543 [0]
Send PM
anurag16 wrote:
Vyshak I don't seem to understand why have you considered New work = Current work + 3(Current work)

In question stem it is mentioned that How many minimum possible number of boys are needed to complete another work which is three times more

Hi,

If new work(x') is three times current work then you can consider x' = 3x. If new work is 3 times more than current work then it means that the difference between new work and current work is three times.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [2]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
A piece of work can be done by 10 boys in 6 days working 4 hours each [#permalink]
Kudos