Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Human Resources
GMAT 1: 520 Q31 V31
GPA: 3.3
WE:Human Resources (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all HKUST MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thank you AbhishekGopal for starting this thread. Let's make it official discussion thread for HKUST class of 2019 applicants. I have added data tables in the first post. We request all applicants to add HKUST on your MBA timeline so that the applicant stats displayed in the first post reflect true picture of admissions. While adding HKUST to the timeline, MAKE SURE you are setting it for graduation year i.e. 'Class of 2019'.

Attachment:
HKUST.png
HKUST.png [ 73.99 KiB | Viewed 12217 times ]
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Re: Calling all HKUST MBA Applicants: (2017 Intake) Class of 2019!! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Reserved Post.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
This place is eerily quiet! :o I tried to search essay topics for 2016/17 on HKUST's website but could't find them. Does anyone know whether HKUST has released essay topics for this year and where on the website they are posted?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V33
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Essays have not been released yet !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Kudos
I am a current full time MBA student at HKUST (Intake 2016 - Class of 2018). Feel free to PM me in case you feel I can be of any help. I might not be able to answer all questions that are administrative in nature (i.e questions that should be answered by the school) but other than that, I would love to pitch in!

p.s 1: my response might be very slow due to the school activities so bear with me. I do reply eventually :)

p.s 2: No, I will not be proof reading essays please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I have to admit that I am a overwhelmed by the pm's I am getting. It is great to see the enthusiasm you guys have. Keep it up guys. I try my best to reply within 24 hours but have not been able to do that consistently off late due to other activities.

A couple of my batchmates are also monitoring this forum and would be happy to answer your questions. So feel free to post your questions in this thread and someone from our batch will probably answer it.

Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 600 Q40 V32
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
mridul87 has been incredibly helpful in replying to some of my questions already!

If any other current or past students are reading this I would love your input on:

1. I'm interested in finance recruiting and have a background in accounting/finance/tech startups. How was recruiting as an international student who only speaks english? would there be an expectation to learn mandarin or cantonese to survive professionally?
2. I'm also considering Singapore but am concerned about job visas as a foreign student. If you were considering Singapore as well, what made you pick HK?

Can someone post the essay questions for this year?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
mbatrojan wrote:
mridul87 has been incredibly helpful in replying to some of my questions already!

If any other current or past students are reading this I would love your input on:

1. I'm interested in finance recruiting and have a background in accounting/finance/tech startups. How was recruiting as an international student who only speaks english? would there be an expectation to learn mandarin or cantonese to survive professionally?
2. I'm also considering Singapore but am concerned about job visas as a foreign student. If you were considering Singapore as well, what made you pick HK?

Hey there,

To answer your questions -

I am part the 2016 MBA intake at UST. To give you a background, I began my career as a banker and ran a tech startup before coming to UST and I don't speak Mandarin/Cantonese - so I may be in a position to answer your queries.

1. Recruitment in finance is a preferred choice for most UST MBA students and I would advise you to do a lot of individual research based upon which arm of the industry would you like to be in, which one(s) is the fastest growing and where do you see yourself in the long run. As far as HK is concerned, Commercial Banking, Corporate Banking and Private Banking (in my opinion) are the most sought after positions by non-Mandarin/Cantonese speakers. A few of our Alum (non-Mandarin/Cantonese speakers) who've chosen a career in PE/VC or Investment Banking are based out of Singapore, Vietnam, HK and India. Finally, there are a number of boutique firms and finance roles in other organizations (supply chain, FMCG, retail etc) that recognize UST MBA students as generally being more knowledgeable and polished. Speaking Mandarin/Cantonese does give you an added advantage and opens up more opportunities (largely in China) but someone such as myself has not had any trouble thus far in connecting with companies or reaching out to other potential recruiters.

2. After China and HK, one would find the most number of UST MBA Alum in Singapore. These are folks who are working for big tech firms, running their own startups, working in banks, consulting etc. Long story short, I haven't met anyone who's had visa issues per se. The advantage of a UST MBA is that it is very widely recognized (for all the right reasons) in Far East Asia, South East Asia and the Middle East - everyone has their own reasons but I chose HK because its as much of a hub as Singapore is but more importantly because of UST MBA's reputation in the aforementioned regions.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Arjun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools: HKUST '19 (A)
Send PM
Hi all,

Just received the admission interview call from HKUST adCom and already feeling thrilled.

My profile:
GMAT:680(Q:51,V:31, AWA:5 and IR:5)
Work ex:7 years 7 month(as on 31st March 2017)
Qualification:MBA+B.Tech

May I request the current HKUST batch to please throw some light on:

-What % of candidates who are called for interview are able to make it through.
-How should one prepare for HKUST interview, is it completely based on the application form ?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards
Sumit Manchanda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey Sumit,

You would have two interviews - one will be taken by a current student or an alum and the second one will be conducted directly by the Admissions Team at HKUST. Both interviews follow similar patterns - they are conversation based and questions are asked to better understand your communication style, leadership style(s) and most importantly your reasons for choosing Hong Kong as a destination and HKUST as a school.

Hope this helps.

sumit31011986 wrote:
Hi all,

Just received the admission interview call from HKUST adCom and already feeling thrilled.

My profile:

-How should one prepare for HKUST interview, is it completely based on the application form ?

Regards
Sumit Manchanda
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone,

I have received an invitation for the interview process as well.

Would be really helpful to know what to expect during the interviews and how to prepare for them?

Thanks,
Sagun
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi HKUST MBA students and applicants !

I also got my interview invite this week and am strategising how to prep.

What type of questions are asked ? Is it pretty generic , covering Goals, Why Mba , Why HKUST, An example of where you have shown leadership and where you have worked in a team ? Or is there anything specific, out of the ordinary they cover.

Are they likely to ask any curve ball questions ?

Any advise on either interview ( Admissions team or Alumni interview ) would be greatly appreciated . Thank you very much in advance for taking the time and making the effort !

Thank you
Pia
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the below information and it surely will be helpful in preparing for the interview.

Regards
Sumit
akabaka9999 wrote:
Hey Sumit,

You would have two interviews - one will be taken by a current student or an alum and the second one will be conducted directly by the Admissions Team at HKUST. Both interviews follow similar patterns - they are conversation based and questions are asked to better understand your communication style, leadership style(s) and most importantly your reasons for choosing Hong Kong as a destination and HKUST as a school.

Hope this helps.

sumit31011986 wrote:
Hi all,

My profile:

Regards
Sumit Manchanda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi all,

Done with my first HKUST interview and I think it went well as the interviewer(Jan-Justus) was friendly and made things comfortable by having more of a bilateral talk rather than just posting the questions.

Good experience all in all.

Looking forward to the next round of interview.

Regards
Sumit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q43 V36
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Hi All, I had submitted the application and got revert of some incomplete documents. I had sent everything but didn't get any email for rejection or call for interview yet. From posts I make out many of us in this forum got interview call. Can someone suggest till what date will they be sending interview calls.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
iHi Sumit,

Glad to know that. Jan is an amazing character. Glad to hear about your experience.

Best,
Mridul

sumit31011986 wrote:
Hi all,

Done with my first HKUST interview and I think it went well as the interviewer(Jan-Justus) was friendly and made things comfortable by having more of a bilateral talk rather than just posting the questions.

Good experience all in all.

Looking forward to the next round of interview.

Regards
Sumit
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts