Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: NUS '18
GPA: 2.08
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
MBADecoder wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

Please evaluate my profile below:

10th - 74.8%
12th - 61.2%
B.E (2013 Batch) - 69.9%
Total work experience - Overall of 4+ years of work experience in sales, marketing, operations, Alliances, Business Strategies, relationship management and so on along with 1+ year of entrepreneurial experience.
GMAT - Yet not taken
Target schools - ISB, INSEAD, IIMs

Extra Curricular: (mentioning only what I have done in college)
1. I worked as a core member for the social welfare club of my college.
2. Started one Youth Oriented weekly newspaper in the city. Ran it for almost a year and then it got shut down. I was mainly responsible for generating the revenue by getting the advertisements for the newspaper which was completely unknown for the city.
3. Hosted Kumar Vishwas in the college fest.

Work Experience: (I have worked only with start-ups)
1. Started as a Business Development Executive with a start-up company based out in Bangalore.
2. Before I started sales I worked as customer care executive for one month that too in night shift when the company was getting the maximum complaints. I did so because I believed that for an Business Developer it is of paramount importance to understand the product thoroughly and how exactly your product can solve your customer’s problem. I got a total of 100 clients for the company during my tenure of work.
3. Awarded as star performer in the month of September 2013 for getting the maximum number of clients on board in a particular month.
4. Wrote few case studies and did some video presentations one of which got published on the company’s official website.

5. After working for 1 year, joined another start-up. I was leading the overall sales and marketing and was responsible for getting the first 25 clients on board.
6. Got promoted as senior manager within 5 months and after that I was handling a team of 5 other people.

7. After working for another 9 months, I finally ended up co-founding my own start-up.
8. It was an e-commerce start-up and being the only guy from the sales background, I was responsible for the survival of the company.
9. During my tenure, I successfully took the company to 10,000 bookings and took the start-up to break even point. (Ran for almost 1.3 years before I took the exit)

Please evaluate my profile and do let me know if I have a chance to make it to my target schools? Do poor acads matter when it comes to our applications? How much GMAT score I should target for to make it to my target B-schools.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Your work related achievements are pretty impressive, as is your go-getter attitude. These should be the elements you focus upon in the application, through the essays and recommendation. You will need to explain why you need the MBA, and that should not be too difficult considering that most of your learning has been on the floor and you could seek some kind of formal training to move to the next level. In addition to that, clear career goals will be key to a strong application.

A 730+ GMAT will be a beneficial score considering your average acads upto this stage.

I would not add hosting Kumar Vishwas in the application, because it sounds just too trivial to me.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason why I mentioned Kumar Vishwas is because there also I worked end to end. Right now getting the sponsorship for the fest to actually getting him to the campus.

But I have got my answers. :)
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

But I have got my answers. :)

Glad to have helped :lol:
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sanks85 wrote:
Dear experts,

I am targeting fall 2017 admissions (India and Singapore based schools)

Could you provide your inputs based on my profile , as below:

Nationality- Indian
Age- 26
Gender- Male
GMAT- 670 (33 V + 49 Q)
GRE - 153 V + 163 Q (Some B-schools are accepting it as well, I guess)

10th - 86%
12th - 81%
Graduation (Rajasthan technical university)- Electronics Engineering -70%
M.S. (Paris) - Embedded Systems - 3.23 CGPA
Certification course in management - London School of Economics

Full Time Work Ex (Semiconductors Field) by the time of enrollment: 46 months (Germany + France) - This role is mix of engineering and management across USA, Europe and Asia.

- Closely associated with NGO that provides help in social and educational upliftment of children in rural India
- Some international scholarships
- Awards of excellencies by previous companies
- 2 technical publications in international conferences (Germany and USA)
- Gold medal in Business model Simulation conference in Cambridge U.K.
- Annual fest coordinator during bachelors and masters
- Among top 8 out of 120 teams for Innovation award of ILE DE FRANCE Region, Paris France

Languages:
French - A2, German - B1, English - Professional, Hindi - Mother Tongue

Internships and projects : 24 months (Germany + France) - In field of defence, automotive and consumer electronics

Additional, Since I have not worked in India, will it impact my chances for ISB ?

Hi there,
I'd like to know more about your work experience- what have you done at work, what are your achievements, what impact have you made on your organization, what about leadership opportunities?

Your GMAT is on the lower side, and although a few people get in every year with this kind of score, my suggestion would be that you retake the GMAT. Your GRE, when
converted to indicative scores on GMAT is even lower, so that will not help either.

The fact that you have not worked in India should be used as a strength and not as a weakness. In the actual application, address what unique elements will you bring to your class because of this experience. Demonstrate that despite being in the challenging environment of foreign countries, you have still built a multi-dimensional personality by being involved outside the work atmosphere.

Also, do address why an MBA in India makes sense for you.

Hope that helps.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

10th - 74.8%
12th - 61.2%
B.E (2013 Batch) - 69.9%
Total work experience - Overall of 4+ years of work experience in sales, marketing, operations, Alliances, Business Strategies, relationship management and so on along with 1+ year of entrepreneurial experience.
GMAT - Yet not taken

2. Started one Youth Oriented weekly newspaper in the city. Ran it for almost a year and then it got shut down. I was mainly responsible for generating the revenue by getting the advertisements for the newspaper which was completely unknown for the city.

1. Started as a Business Development Executive with a start-up company based out in Bangalore.
2. Before I started sales I worked as customer care executive for one month that too in night shift when the company was getting the maximum complaints. I did so because I believed that for an Business Developer it is of paramount importance to understand the product thoroughly and how exactly your product can solve your customer’s problem. I got a total of 100 clients for the company during my tenure of work.
3. Awarded as star performer in the month of September 2013 for getting the maximum number of clients on board in a particular month.
4. Wrote few case studies and did some video presentations one of which got published on the company’s official website.

5. After working for 1 year, joined another start-up. I was leading the overall sales and marketing and was responsible for getting the first 25 clients on board.
6. Got promoted as senior manager within 5 months and after that I was handling a team of 5 other people.

7. After working for another 9 months, I finally ended up co-founding my own start-up.
8. It was an e-commerce start-up and being the only guy from the sales background, I was responsible for the survival of the company.
9. During my tenure, I successfully took the company to 10,000 bookings and took the start-up to break even point. (Ran for almost 1.3 years before I took the exit)

Please evaluate my profile and do let me know if I have a chance to make it to my target schools? Do poor acads matter when it comes to our applications? How much GMAT score I should target for to make it to my target B-schools.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for sharing,

Academics do matter, so doing well on the GMAT, preferably scoring above the average score of your target school should help address concerns about academic capability.

From what you shared, you seem to have a very strong drive and leveraged your interpersonal skills to achieve success in different capacities. Make sure this comes off when you write your essays, as this would help distinguish you. Standing out here and showing how you fit the school could improve your chances even when compared to other candidates with stronger academics.

WIsh you all the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBADecoder wrote:
sanks85 wrote:
Dear experts,

Nationality- Indian
Age- 26
Gender- Male
GMAT- 670 (33 V + 49 Q)

10th - 86%
12th - 81%
Graduation (Rajasthan technical university)- Electronics Engineering -70%
M.S. (Paris) - Embedded Systems - 3.23 CGPA
Certification course in management - London School of Economics

Full Time Work Ex (Semiconductors Field) by the time of enrollment: 46 months (Germany + France) - This role is mix of engineering and management across USA, Europe and Asia.

- Closely associated with NGO that provides help in social and educational upliftment of children in rural India
- Some international scholarships
- Awards of excellencies by previous companies
- 2 technical publications in international conferences (Germany and USA)
- Gold medal in Business model Simulation conference in Cambridge U.K.
- Annual fest coordinator during bachelors and masters
- Among top 8 out of 120 teams for Innovation award of ILE DE FRANCE Region, Paris France

Languages:
French - A2, German - B1, English - Professional, Hindi - Mother Tongue

Internships and projects : 24 months (Germany + France) - In field of defence, automotive and consumer electronics

Additional, Since I have not worked in India, will it impact my chances for ISB ?

Hi there,
I'd like to know more about your work experience- what have you done at work, what are your achievements, what impact have you made on your organization, what about leadership opportunities?

Your GMAT is on the lower side, and although a few people get in every year with this kind of score, my suggestion would be that you retake the GMAT. Your GRE, when
converted to indicative scores on GMAT is even lower, so that will not help either.

The fact that you have not worked in India should be used as a strength and not as a weakness. In the actual application, address what unique elements will you bring to your class because of this experience. Demonstrate that despite being in the challenging environment of foreign countries, you have still built a multi-dimensional personality by being involved outside the work atmosphere.

Also, do address why an MBA in India makes sense for you.

Hope that helps.

In my current position, was hired as a graduate and was promoted in 10 months and another promotion is due in 6 months. It's an interface between our our partners, engineering, marketing and sales.
Represented company in one of the largest annual exhibition in Germany. Mentored new colleagues in Germany and USA. Leadership is one of thing which is missing until now as being mostly on engineering side and in a company with flat hierarchy, it would be difficult to show on papers.

As per small observation of some thread, 690-700 seems to be optimal score for ISB and IIM A (Please correct me if I am wrong). I am equally interested in knowing the kind of workex and profile (selected) students have with a score around 670.

"The fact that you have not worked in India should be used as a strength and not as a weakness. In the actual application, address what unique elements will you bring to your class because of this experience. Demonstrate that despite being in the challenging environment of foreign countries, you have still built a multi-dimensional personality by being involved outside the work atmosphere."
--> Thanks for the tip. I was quiet worried about it.

"Also, do address why an MBA in India makes sense for you."
--> I have clear reasons for it. Hopefully wouldn't be that hard to pen it down.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
"Leadership is one of thing which is missing until now as being mostly on engineering side and in a company with flat hierarchy, it would be difficult to show on papers."

You may find the blog linked to below useful in addressing this common concern among applicants
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/05 ... mal-title/
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

10th - 74.8%
12th - 61.2%
B.E (2013 Batch) - 69.9%
GMAT - Yet not taken

Thanks in advance

Hi funambulist

A couple of points to be clarified here before we delve deeper:
1. You graduated in 2013, but you mention your work-ex as 4+ years. Are you also including some part-time experience from the time you were still studying?
2. What are you involved with currently? You mention that you took the exit from your startup.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

10th - 74.8%
12th - 61.2%
B.E (2013 Batch) - 69.9%
GMAT - Yet not taken

Thanks in advance

Hi funambulist

1. You graduated in 2013, but you mention your work-ex as 4+ years. Are you also including some part-time experience from the time you were still studying?
2. What are you involved with currently? You mention that you took the exit from your startup.

Hello GyanOne

Thanks for your response. In response to your above queries, please find my response as below:

1. Yes, I am including that work experience also when I was running the newspaper during my college days.
2. Well, very recently I have joined another start-up where I am leading the business side of the company.

Let me know if you know any further details.

Cheers!!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Funambulist wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
Funambulist wrote:
Hi,

10th - 74.8%
12th - 61.2%
B.E (2013 Batch) - 69.9%
GMAT - Yet not taken

Thanks in advance

Hi funambulist

Hello GyanOne

Thanks for your response. In response to your above queries, please find my response as below:

1. Yes, I am including that work experience also when I was running the newspaper during my college days.
2. Well, very recently I have joined another start-up where I am leading the business side of the company.

Let me know if you know any further details.

Cheers!!

Hi funambulist

Ok, please note then that the schools you mention will consider the full-time, post-qualification part of your experience as formal work experience. Therefore, running the newspaper will not be counted as formal work experience, although you will get credit for it by way of an activity.

A very strong GMAT score (720 for sure, but preferably more) is going to be a must for you at this juncture. However, you will also need to address in addition the reason for the 4 different roles/jobs you have had in 3-4 years now. That will be a critical part in your application. Yes, you have done good things and achieved good results, and have good ECA to back you up, but you will also have to justify the frequent professional changes.

Also keep in mind the work experience criteria for the schools you mention. While ISB is a possibility if you get a good GMAT score, the IIMs require a minimum of 4 years of work ex at the time of joining (and that too is only for IIMB; IIMC and IIMA require more). INSEAD seems difficult at this point in time, given the lack of international experience too.

We would suggest you take this step by step. Get a good GMAT score first, and then select your schools judiciously. Then, focus on the apps, taking care to address the key elements of concern in them as well (plus of course highlighting your achievements).

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more questions as needed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepEdison wrote:
"Leadership is one of thing which is missing until now as being mostly on engineering side and in a company with flat hierarchy, it would be difficult to show on papers."

You may find the blog linked to below useful in addressing this common concern among applicants
https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2016/05 ... mal-title/

Thanks for sharing it.

It's interesting and hopefully would be helpful :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
sanks85 wrote:
Dear experts,

Nationality- Indian
Age- 26
Gender- Male
GMAT- 670 (33 V + 49 Q)

First things first. You definitely need to push up your GMAT score by at least 30 points. Your current score will make it extremely difficult for you to academically distinguish yourself from the ultra-competitive pool of ISB. Clearly verbal needs a big jump!

Apart from this, there are a lot of positives in your profile. The experience that you have, is optimal from ISB perspective. You are working in your core domain and also have managerial experience. Your International experience and professional accolades will also give you for the Brownie points.

Make sure that your essays are immaculately crafted to reflect the learning that your experiences would have endowed you with.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 237 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
chinnasusheel15 wrote:
Hi,

Could anyone please evaluate my profile. I am looking for 2018 admissions and my target schools are IIMB EPGP, IIMC PGPEX and ISB.

My GMAT score:680

Hi Susheel, your GMAT score definitely needs to be pushed buy at least 20-30 points, to give you a realistic shot in the midst of the ultra-competitive pool of ISB.

Working as a Quality Engineer, you must have done some out of the ordinary work win the awards mentioned in your post (ACE, Spotlight Excellence): perhaps you automated few manual tasks; perhaps you increased the efficiency of some processes; perhaps during testing, you got hold of a bug that could have wreaked havoc if it had gotten live undetected!

Make sure that the wealth of experience and the efficacy of your work, get reflected in your essays appropriately.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello All,

I would like to get your feedback on my profile.

Current Job Profile : Assistant Vice President - European Investment Bank.

Around 8 years of Experience – Application Management and Service Delivery , Stakeholder Management, Global Team Management, Enterprise Level Delivery, ITIL – RCV and OSA Certified,Hiring,LEAN implementation , SME for Exposure & VAR Calcs, Sanctioning.

Worked in UK for 1 year.

Current Profile :

Regional Delivery lead and Manager for Risk Technology RTB. Currently managing and leading a team of 25 members, who are doing application management activities of over 30+ applications for regulatory deliverables in the Market and Credit Risk Technology for Investment Bank.

Academic History :-

SSC - 87%
HSC - 71 %
BTECH CE - 7.3/10

I am currently studying for GMAT, will be giving my exam by end of July. If you can suggest a par score for my profile. Planning to apply in IIMs and ISB.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
mauliksadhwani wrote:
Hello All,

I would like to get your feedback on my profile.

Current Job Profile : Assistant Vice President - European Investment Bank.

Around 8 years of Experience – Application Management and Service Delivery , Stakeholder Management, Global Team Management, Enterprise Level Delivery, ITIL – RCV and OSA Certified,Hiring,LEAN implementation , SME for Exposure & VAR Calcs, Sanctioning.

Worked in UK for 1 year.

Current Profile :

Regional Delivery lead and Manager for Risk Technology RTB. Currently managing and leading a team of 25 members, who are doing application management activities of over 30+ applications for regulatory deliverables in the Market and Credit Risk Technology for Investment Bank.

Academic History :-

SSC - 87%
HSC - 71 %
BTECH CE - 7.3/10

I am currently studying for GMAT, will be giving my exam by end of July. If you can suggest a par score for my profile. Planning to apply in IIMs and ISB.

Hi Maulik

Your profile is solid - seniority / international experience / leadership / decent academics. You can have a very real chance of making it even with a score around 680, but still try and get to 700 if possible. You have not mentioned your extra-curriculars here, but assuming that they are even average, you should be well-placed. Feel free to contact us directly or respond here on further queries, as needed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GyanOne wrote:

Hi Maulik

Your profile is solid - seniority / international experience / leadership / decent academics. You can have a very real chance of making it even with a score around 680, but still try and get to 700 if possible. You have not mentioned your extra-curricular here, but assuming that they are even average, you should be well-placed. Feel free to contact us directly or respond here on further queries, as needed.

Hi GyanOne,

Thanks for the feedback. As far as extra curricular activities are concerned I really don't get much of time outside my office schedule.
However, I am quite active in the office and have run initiatives to take care for the development of the under privileged students around the state by organizing visits to thier schools and helping the students understand the importance of education and the options they have to choose their career. We assist them on studies,money management,self development and other personality building activities.
As a hobby, I used to write blogs for a reputed automotive website in India and I run a forum within my company where I help people to choose the right automobile and answer their queries on other automobile stuff, its a 700+ member group now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi dear all ,ur guidance is important here..plz evaluate my profile n give suggestions..thanks

Age- 26 Indian Female

Gmat score-740

Work Experience -

2years in WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES

Handling family business of Event management

Qualifications-
BE computer science 77%
12th - 67%
10the-84%

Extra curriculum activities -
Awarded as 'Gem of College' award in college

Won reputed Speech competition

Awarded as Ideal student in School

Handled many events in School,college n in office.

State level actor n director in drama.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chetsa wrote:
Hi dear all ,ur guidance is important here..plz evaluate my profile n give suggestions..thanks

Age- 26 Indian Female

Gmat score-740

Work Experience -

2years in WIPRO TECHNOLOGIES

Handling family business of Event management

Qualifications-
BE computer science 77%
12th - 67%
10the-84%

Extra curriculum activities -
Awarded as 'Gem of College' award in college

Won reputed Speech competition

Awarded as Ideal student in School

Handled many events in School,college n in office.

State level actor n director in drama.

Sent from my HTC Desire 816G dual sim using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Hi Chetsa,

While it all looks good, I'd like to understand more about your work profile- what did you do at Wipro? What are you doing at your event management company? what impact have you made at both of these companies?

Work experience is among the biggest criteria for admission, considered by b-schools.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  307