Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [264]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [96]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [48]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members traveled to France, and 32 members traveled to Italy. Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France, 6 members traveled to both England and Italy, and 11 members traveled to both France and Italy. How many members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries last year?

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = n(E) + n(F) + n(I) - n(E and F) - n(F and I) - n(I and E) +n(E and F and I)

n(E or F or I) = 26 + 26 + 32 - 0 - 11 - 6 + 0

Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy.

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

i am confused, pls, help me.

I think the formulae is

N= E+F+I - N(E AND F) - N (F and I)- N (I and E) - 2 N (E AND F AND I)

we need minuse two times the number of member who travel to 3 countries- in this case this number is zero.
but in general formulae, we need minus, not plus .

pls, explain, i am confused.

These are two different formulas:

Total = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(A and B) – n(B and C) – n(C and A) + n(A and B and C) + n(No Set)

Total = n(A) + n(B) + n(C) – n(Only A and B) – n(Only B and C) – n( Only C and A) - 2* n(A and B and C) + n(No Set)

n(A and B) in first formula includes the elements falling in n(A and B and C)
n(Only A and B) in second formula does not include the elements falling in n(A and B and C). It has element which fall in A and B only, not in C.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 510 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, International Business
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is B) 67

Draw Venn diagram to represent this and you'll notice that people traveled to more than one country but not all three. The question is same as how many people traveled ?

So 26 + 26 + 32 - (11 + 6) = 67
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [8]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members traveled to France, and 32 members traveled to Italy. Last year no members of the club traveled to both England and France, 6 members traveled to both England and Italy, and 11 members traveled to both France and Italy. How many members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries last year?

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

Attachment:
Venn Diagram.JPG
Venn Diagram.JPG [ 37.54 KiB | Viewed 92524 times ]

a+b= 6
b+c = 11
Refer England team: a+b+ (persons who only went to England) = 26
Persons who only went to England = 26 - (a+b) = 26-6 = 20

Refer French team: b+c+(persons who only went to France) = 26
Persons who only went to France = 26 - (b+c) = 15

Refer Italian team: a+b+c+f = 32

Now with above info.

Members of the club traveled to at least one of these three countries = Nothing but summation of all values (take only once)

Leftmost circle (England) : (20+a+b)
French: 15+c (all remaining already covered in previous circle)
Italy: f (all other variables taken in previous two circles)

(20+a+b)+(15+c)+f will give the answer

20+15+ a+b+c+f = 35+32 = 67

B is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 711 [7]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

total=26+26+32-(0+6+11)+0 +0
= 67

Originally posted by CounterSniper on 05 Jul 2016, 02:57.
Last edited by CounterSniper on 05 Jul 2016, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

n(E or F or I) = n(E) + n(F) + n(I) - n(E and F) - n(F and I) - n(I and E) +n(E and F and I)

n(E or F or I) = 26 + 26 + 32 - 0 - 11 - 6 + 0

Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy.

n(E or F or I) = 67

Answer (B)

i am confused, pls, help me.

I think the formulae is

N= E+F+I - N(E AND F) - N (F and I)- N (I and E) - 2 N (E AND F AND I)

we need minuse two times the number of member who travel to 3 countries- in this case this number is zero.
but in general formulae, we need minus, not plus .

pls, explain, i am confused.
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [4]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Last year 26 members of a certain club traveled to England, 26 members [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Attached is a visual that should help. Note that 3! is 6, which confirms that there are only 3 overlapping sets of 2 to account for.
Attachments

Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.14.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 7.14.11 PM.png [ 87.55 KiB | Viewed 87878 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.16
Send PM
CounterSniper wrote:
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

= 67

I did it the same way as well, however I wasn't sure of one thing. How do we know that all three = 0? If nothing is mentioned about it, is it assumed to be 0?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [4]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Neeraj91 wrote:
CounterSniper wrote:
to england=26
to france = 26
to italy=32
england and france =0
england and italy = 6
france and italy =11
all 3=0
neither=0

= 67

I did it the same way as well, however I wasn't sure of one thing. How do we know that all three = 0? If nothing is mentioned about it, is it assumed to be 0?

No, it is not assumed. If you take ALL three as Non Zero, then we will have few who travel to both England and France. But the question stem says, we don't have anyone who traveled to both England and France.

I hope its clear now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 287 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel ,

Could you please help me understand . As where in the question it is given that intersection of all the 3 is 0 .
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [1]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhisheknandy08 wrote:
Hi Bunuel ,

Could you please help me understand . As where in the question it is given that intersection of all the 3 is 0 .

This is explained in Karishma's post above: "Why is the number of people who traveled to E and F and I 0? Because no one traveled to both England and France. So obviously, no one would have traveled to England, France and Italy".
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [5]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A) 52
B) 67
C) 71
D) 73
E) 79

We are asked for members who traveled to at least one of these three countries, it can also include members who have traveled two.

As per the attachment, the calculation will be

\(20 + 6 + 15 + 11 + 15 = 67\)

Hence, Answer is B
Attachments

GMAT.PNG
GMAT.PNG [ 8.03 KiB | Viewed 82826 times ]

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [13]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos