Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [120]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [22]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 997 [12]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [2]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Weaken: In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding [#permalink]
Kudos
Statement : Rats > Crowding > Increased Aggression
Rhesus Monkeys > Crowding > Does not increase aggression but instances of coping behavior

Conclusion : Rhesus monkeys response to monkeys, applies to all monkeys.

Assumption : Effect on Rhesus monkeys ---means---> Effect on all monkeys.

A. The rhesus monkeys is the species of monkey that is more prone to fighting. Strengthens

B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them. States the same

C. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions
This may weaken the argument. Hold it

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in more attacks than the others Out of scope

E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiment were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances. may be the one but "Some" makes it doubtful

IMO C, though not sure on this one. Waiting for OA.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Re: Weaken: In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding [#permalink]
Vyshak wrote:
In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys were placed in crowded conditions, it was not such attacks that increased significantly, but rather instances of "coping" behavior, such as submissive gestures, avoidance of dominant individuals, and huddling with relatives. Therefore the evidence from rhesus monkeys makes it doubtful that crowding significantly increases aggressive impulses in primates.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. The rhesus monkeys is the species of monkey that is more prone to fighting

B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them

C. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in more attacks than the others

E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiment were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances.

There is a sampling issue with the conclusion !!
as aditi already mentioned , experiments were done on rhesus monkeys while the conclusion is held true for all primates.
C.. for me best explains the reason for rhesus monkeys behaviour because of which the conclusion cannot be held true for all primates .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
I am not sure but for some reason, I feel the answer is B.. if coping behaviour were adopted to forestall acts of aggression, it means the monkeys would have probably got aggressive (if not for the coping behaviour) and thus weakens the conclusion to some extent..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 712 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
rs47 wrote:
I am not sure but for some reason, I feel the answer is B.. if coping behaviour were adopted to forestall acts of aggression, it means the monkeys would have probably got aggressive (if not for the coping behaviour) and thus weakens the conclusion to some extent..

:?
little confused here !!
now I think answer can be b !!
I don't think C weakens the conclusion at all . If the monkeys are observed to have all kinds on coping behaviour in un crowded envt , they might have the same in crowded as well , it in fact strengthens the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Let me read it again,

Conclusion says : Doubtful that Crowding >>increases >> aggression

Option B says : Coping behavior in crowded monkeys >> decreases/forestall >> aggression.

Doesn't this imply that crowding leads to coping behavior, which in turn decreases aggression.

That's exactly what will strengthen the conclusion that crowding doesn't significantly increase aggression.

Phew!! Experts please advise, what am I missing here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Not able to pick between b and c

daagh chetan2u

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Argument: In rats, Crowding --> Aggressive behavior
But in rhesus monkeys, Crowding --> Coping behavior
So recent studies create a doubt on whether Crowding actually causes aggressive behavior

A. The rhesus monkeys is the species of monkey that is more prone to fighting - Incorrect - The rhesus monkeys may be prone to fighting but there is no relationship between crowding and aggressive behavior

B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them - Correct - Crowding causes aggressive behavior but coping behavior is used to mask the aggressive behavior.

C. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions - Incorrect - Relationship is stated between coping behavior and uncrowded conditions. Not useful.

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in more attacks than the others - Incorrect - Irrelevant

E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiment were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances. - Irrelevant

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
chetan2u wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

daagh chetan2u

In 1960’s studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys were placed in crowded conditions, it was not such attacks that increased significantly, but rather instances of "coping" behavior, such as submissive gestures, avoidance of dominant individuals, and huddling with relatives. Therefore the evidence from rhesus monkeys makes it doubtful that crowding significantly increases aggressive impulses in primates.

B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them

Hi,

the argument says that in rats, crowding led to more attacks on each other. But in a experiment with rhesus monkeys, # of attacks did not increase but 'coping behaviour' did.
Now the argument claims that crowding does not increase aggressive nature..

NOTE we are not talking of attacks but aggressive nature. - this should tell us that there MUST be something which happens amongst the monkeys which does not allow these aggressive nature to turn into ATTACKS..

lets see B and C..

See the NOTE above. More the monkeys aggressive, more do other monkeys try to adjust to that by changing their behaviour so that the aggressive nature does not result into physical attacks...
this clearly WEAKENS the claim as the aggressive nature has increased but others have adopted a different approach to it..

This would in a way STRENGTHEN the claim.....
The COPING behaviour is not common ONLY to crowded coditions but to uncrowded conditions too. This means that there is NO role played by aggressive attitude and hence MAY be the claim is correct

Hi,
In b, do u mean that a few monkeys are getting aggressive but there are other few which counter balance this by coping, hence resulting in no attacks?

RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31896 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
rahulkashyap wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
rahulkashyap wrote:

daagh chetan2u

Hi,

the argument says that in rats, crowding led to more attacks on each other. But in a experiment with rhesus monkeys, # of attacks did not increase but 'coping behaviour' did.
Now the argument claims that crowding does not increase aggressive nature..

NOTE we are not talking of attacks but aggressive nature. - this should tell us that there MUST be something which happens amongst the monkeys which does not allow these aggressive nature to turn into ATTACKS..

lets see B and C..

See the NOTE above. More the monkeys aggressive, more do other monkeys try to adjust to that by changing their behaviour so that the aggressive nature does not result into physical attacks...
this clearly WEAKENS the claim as the aggressive nature has increased but others have adopted a different approach to it..

This would in a way STRENGTHEN the claim.....
The COPING behaviour is not common ONLY to crowded coditions but to uncrowded conditions too. This means that there is NO role played by aggressive attitude and hence MAY be the claim is correct

Hi,
In b, do u mean that a few monkeys are getting aggressive but there are other few which counter balance this by coping, hence resulting in no attacks?

Yes, I would not say B is the best possible answer but we are looking for the best possible answer and C can not be an answer under any circumstances.....

so when the monkeys are becoming MORE aggressive, there are many others, may be kids or mothers or weaker ones, who become submissive and increase 'coping behaviour'
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
In the 1960 studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys were placed in crowded conditions, it was not such attacks that increased significantly but rather instances of "coping" behavior, such as submissive gestures, avoidance of dominant individuals, and huddling with relatives. Therefore the evidence from rhesus monkeys makes it doubtful that crowding significantly increases aggressive impulses in primates.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument.

A. The rhesus monkey is the species of monkey that is most prone to fighting.
B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them.
C. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions.
D. Some individual monkeys in the experiments were involved in more attacks than others.
E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiments were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4545 [0]
Send PM
mitko20m wrote:
In the 1960 studies of rats, scientists found that crowding increases the number of attacks among the animals significantly. But in recent experiments in which rhesus monkeys were placed in crowded conditions, it was not such attacks that increased significantly but rather instances of "coping" behavior, such as submissive gestures, avoidance of dominant individuals, and huddling with relatives. Therefore the evidence from rhesus monkeys makes it doubtful that crowding significantly increases aggressive impulses in primates.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument.

A. The rhesus monkey is the species of monkey that is most prone to fighting.
B. Coping behavior was adopted by the crowded monkeys to forestall acts of aggression among them.
C. All the observed forms of coping behavior can be found among rhesus monkeys living in uncrowded conditions.
D. Some individual monkeys in the experiments were involved in more attacks than others.
E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiments were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances.

Topic Merged. Please refer to the above discussion and comment if you have any doubts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Vyshak wrote:

A. The rhesus monkeys is the species of monkey that is more prone to fighting

D. Some individual monkeys in the experiment were involved in more attacks than the others

E. Some of the rhesus monkeys in the experiment were subjected to levels of crowding that are unlikely to occur in natural circumstances.

From the weakening question above, we need to attack the conclusion, which stated crowding is not triger aggresive behavior. Statement B attack this conclusion by saying crowding implulse agrresive behavior, which the monkey not express it because they want to forestall the act of aggresive
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
how is B correct? When i see it, i see its strengthening than weakening. I found this question while giving my GMAT mock on GMAT Prep. While reviewing i found OA is B. Its bizarre and i cant understand, how B can be the right weakening option.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [12]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos