Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38830 [522]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [75]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [62]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [49]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I wish to understand what's wrong in option B compared to E.

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

"who express" is, of course, much cleaner than "who end up expressing"

The goal is not to ultimately reduce the numbers. It would be better if the commission could reduce the numbers now than if it reduces "ultimately". However the goal itself is ultimate (i.e. the final goal). Therefore placement of ultimately is wrong in option B.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [27]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
'The guests that ends up' is an easy SV error to spot and eliminate. D is gone. The idea is not to reduce either guests or their expressions. The idea is to reduce the number of complainants. Therefore, A and C are gone. Between B and E; B has a problem of split infinitive in 'to ultimately reduce', and a problem of superfluity or redundancy in saying ' who end up expressing dissatisfaction. 'Who express' is more direct and dynamic.

Therefore, E remains.

Originally posted by daagh on 13 Jun 2017, 02:01.
Last edited by daagh on 28 Jul 2017, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [9]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

(A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels "Reducing the guests" makes it seem like the goal is to reduce the guests. Awkward.

(B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service This makes it seem like they have been trying to reduce the number of guest for a while now and have ultimately succeeded

(C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service “reduce expressions” change the meaning and is awkward

(D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service Since we are referring to guests, “who” needs to be used instead of “that”

(E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service The ultimate goal of the tourism commission has been stated.

- Nitha
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
AbdurRakib wrote:
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels.

(A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels

(B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service

(D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that the ultimate, or final, goal of the tourism commission is reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Idioms + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• When "goal" is part of a noun phrase, "goal + of" is the correct, idiomatic construction; "goal + to" is used when "goal" is part of a verb phrase; respective correct usages "I succeeded in my goal of learning French." and "My goal is to learn French."

A: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "reducing the guests"; the construction of this phrase illogically suggests that the ultimate goal of the tourism commission is somehow diminishing the guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service; the intended meaning is that the ultimate goal of the tourism commission is reducing how many guests express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service. Further, Option A uses the needlessly wordy phrases "who end up expressing" and "the service in the hotels", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "goal to ultimately reduce"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the goal of the tourism commission is to ultimately, or eventually, reduce the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service; the intended meaning is that the ultimate, or final goal of the tourism commission is to reduce the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service. Further, Option B incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "goal + to" rather than the idiomatic construction "goal + of"; please remember, when "goal" is part of a noun phrase, "goal + of" is the correct, idiomatic construction. Additionally, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "end up expressing", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the goal of the tourism commission is to eventually reduce the number of expressions of dissatisfaction made by guests regarding hotel service; the intended meaning is that the ultimate, orfinal, goal of the tourism commission is reducing how many guests express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service. Further, Option C incorrectly uses the unidiomatic construction "goal + to" rather than the idiomatic construction "goal + of"; please remember, when "goal" is part of a noun phrase, "goal + of" is the correct, idiomatic construction.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the plural noun "guests" with the singular verb "ends up". Further, Option D alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "in an ultimate attempt"; the construction of this phrase incorrectly implies that the tourism commission made a final attempt to reduce the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service; the intended meaning is that the ultimate, or final, goal of the tourism commission is reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service. Additionally, Option D uses the needlessly wordy phrase "end up expressing", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

E: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the plural noun "guests" with the plural verb "express". Further, Option E uses the phrase "the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests", conveying the intended meaning - that the ultimate, or final, goal of the tourism commission is reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service. Additionally, Option E correctly uses the idiomatic construction "goal + of". Besides, Option E is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Identifying the correct answer in this question involves understanding the difference between "ultimate" and "ultimately". Please note that "ultimate" is an adjective that carries the connotation of the "final" or "most-advanced" version of the noun it modifies, and "ultimately" is an adverb that carries that connotation of "eventually" for the verb it modifes.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [10]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
jaganpani wrote:
Here is my reasoning:

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels -> The number of guests can be reduced. The guests themselves cannot be reduced. On a funny note, you cannot really reduce their height or something :D So, eliminate.

B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> Incorrect modifier 'ultimately'. This modifier should modify 'goal' and not 'reduce'. So, eliminate.

C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service -> 'goal to reduce expressions' totally distorts the meaning. So, eliminate.

D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> 'that' cannot be used to refer to people (i.e. guests). So, eliminate.

E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service -> By POE, this is the right answer. Though I am not very convinced about the usage of 'with' here. Going by the rule, 'with' should modify resorts here. Resorts don't have any ultimate goal.

The goal is not of the resort but of the tourism commission. With is correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 206 [5]
Given Kudos: 14
 Q48  V20 GMAT 2: 610  Q49  V23
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Got this one correct....My line of reasoning

First scan of the original sentence as it is A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels

reducing the number of guests rather than reducing the guests. Next who end up expressing...leads to unnecessary verb+ing form........the last phrase with the service in the hotels....sounds unnecessary wordy and can be more concise

reducing the number of guests rather than reducing the guests - remains B, D, E

expressing in B - eliminates B

Between D and E, the construction of D is weird

E remains and the correct answer. Rechecked the correct answer
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [5]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
AbdurRakib wrote:

A) with the ultimate goal of reducing the guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the service in the hotels
B) with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
C) ultimately with the goal to reduce expressions of overall dissatisfaction by the guests with the hotel service
D) in an ultimate attempt to reduce the number of guests that ends up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service
E) with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

OG 2017 New Question

The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service.

Survey of hotels is conducted to reduce the number of guests expressing dissatisfaction with the hotels service...

Answer will be (E)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most [#permalink]
Isn't the option E conveying that there is a category of guests who express dissatisfaction, guests who end up expressing seems better but unfortunately other options also contain errors .
sayantanc2k : your views please?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Experts,

(B) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the goal to ultimately reduce the number of guests who end up expressing overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

(E) The tourism commission has conducted surveys of hotels in the most popular resorts, with the ultimate goal of reducing the number of guests who express overall dissatisfaction with the hotels’ service

Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal to understand the earth better
Scientists have solved many puzzles of nature, with the goal of understanding the earth better

I think the former makes more sense because "to" has an intention connotation that is lacking in "for verb-ing". Or, is there a problem with "ultimate" in the above sentence?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
abhishek1912 wrote:
Hi Experts,

"Ultimately" in B is redundant; you would use this word only if there were some other attempts which failed.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [13]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos